Author Topic: We need new blood to keep NCOWS going  (Read 12572 times)

Offline SgtRickHenry

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: We need new blood to keep NCOWS going
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 10:36:41 PM »
“A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is only finished when he quits.”
(Roger Stone, quoting Richard M. Nixon)

In our posse we have a young man, in his early 20s, who shot his first match earlier this year. He returned and joined up at the next match. Recently he invested in a pair of new Vaqueros and his own gun belt and holsters. Last match he acquired a Winchester 1897 from another member. We are on the lookout for a Model 1873. By way of full disclosure he is family. But he was committed enough that he spent his own money on his guns and equipment.

Most of our posse are also active SASS members and those matches are very well attended by all age groups. Most of the same folks attend most of the matches each month, regardless of home posse affiliation. Many SASS, as well as NCOWS, folks have come and helped me learn the ropes for holding matches, when I was much newer at doing that. I am still learning and I am still very grateful for all the help I receive.

When we get new shooters we all work at trying to make them feel welcome. That was one of the first things I noticed when I was new and a big part of why I signed up.  When our matches are over, unlike those of some other shooting disciplines, we Cowboys don’t cut and run. Everyone stays and helps put the steel away. NCOWS or SASS, it’s just the Cowboy way.

I have always observed a high level of commitment amongst all of the Cowboys in general, at the matches, conventions, and other events. It saddens me when folks talk like all of this is dying. If everyone were to believe that, then maybe it really would be over. We keep holding matches and folks keep showing up to shoot. I don’t think they come just for the coffee and donuts. The important thing (as my father once told me) is to get back up on that horse and not to quit.

We normally shoot the second Sunday of each month (except November) and the 5th Saturday of such months in which they occur. New shooters are welcome and are given a year’s grace to get outfitted. Please go to the ncows.com website for more info on NCOWS, ours and other posses, and our match schedules and locations.

Thank you and as always, I remain,

Yr. obt. svt.,

Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
An NCOWS Posse

NCOWS, SASS, & NRA Life
Fly Navy, Support Your Local Police

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2020, 08:40:48 AM »

"When we get new shooters we all work at trying to make them feel welcome. That was one of the first things I noticed when I was new and a big part of why I signed up." 

Yr. obt. svt.,

Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
[/quote]

I haven't joined the organization but that above statement stuck with me. Being new to this manner of shooting,  When all was over, I was asked if I had a good time? All I can say is ... yep...
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2020, 04:33:21 PM »
As far as  "tuning" goes, it's not "parts changing" !! It involves parts manipulation, understanding of "forces applied"  the replacement of flat springs vs coil torsion springs.  Knowing what to do /not to do is key and that comes from "those that know". It's an art that is about to be lost forever so embracing those that can help rather than  making them  " expensive necessities "  that can offer a "safe" race gun rather than a "fixed up" stocker  may make more sense?

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 03:22:49 PM »

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2020, 06:33:31 PM »
In our neck of the woods, the SASS matches are generally well attended.  The SASS participants enjoy the very close targets and speed.  Unfortunately, getting just a few to experience NCOWS has been very difficult.  In the past couple of years I think we have only attracted maybe 3 new individuals.  We bend over backwards to make newcomers feel welcome.  There are plenty of guns to loan, and a complete kit can be put together over an 18 month period.

Offline SgtRickHenry

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2020, 06:57:11 PM »

"When we get new shooters we all work at trying to make them feel welcome. That was one of the first things I noticed when I was new and a big part of why I signed up." 

Yr. obt. svt.,

Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
[/quote]

“I haven't joined the organization but that above statement stuck with me. Being new to this manner of shooting,  When all was over, I was asked if I had a good time? All I can say is ... yep...“

That’s the Cowboy way. Welcome aboard.

Sgt. Henry
Sgt. R. Henry, Marshal
S.C. Old West Shootists
An NCOWS Posse

NCOWS, SASS, & NRA Life
Fly Navy, Support Your Local Police

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2020, 04:00:04 PM »
Wife and I have been NCOWS members for maybe 3 years. We enjoy it immensely, and it is the camaraderie as much as it is the actual shooting. We have sons and grandsons that like to shoot. Even a couple of grand daughters. I have shown them my small collection of cowboy guns and they all love those guns. They have all been invited to attend one of the shoots, but so far, none have shown up. I still have hope.

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
One of the hottest video games in the last couple of years is Red Dead Redemption which has a lot kids playing old west scenarios and has got their attention. There are even some airsoft fields with western towns playing a more real-time version of the game. However, these days if a kid said he wanted to go shoot real cowboys guns his mother would go nuts and the kid would get kicked out of school for mentioning it.

Red dead (at least the new one) is pretty mind blowing in its attention to minute historical detail. Feels like walking into an living old photo at times. They obviously take liberties, but there's plenty of places where they don't.
And true, it's beloved by critics and fans alike. The interest in westerns is there.
Something else, "playing dress up in public," or "cosplay" as they call it now, is far more acceptable than it maybe ever was was for teenagers and even people in their 20s-40s. So the costuming aspect shouldn't be a barrier either.
Going to gun ranges, even in California before I moved 2 months ago, I saw a ton of young people out there. So I don't know if its just about helicopter moms.

There might be a self-fulfilling prophecy at work — many young people may be finding out about western shooting online, see event pics and check out their local posse on the internet and see no young people at all, and thus think it isn't an activity for them / feel like it would be awkward to show up and socialize with strangers who are decades outside of their age range.
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2020, 11:21:05 AM »
Alright... from a "younger" shooter's perspective... NCOWS L-198

Background first... I am an teacher, a parent, and an Eagle Scout, an NRA Certified instructor,  a part time gun sales associate, and otherwise active gogetter.

For all organizations there has been a decline in committed membership (religious, masonic, scouting, and the list goes on...)

Fear is what drives education, not indoctrination... even your most conservative teachers are afraid of offending x and losing our meager salary...  I have seen some very poor decisions made, because we were afraid of what someone "might" say.  Sure there are those who do believe in disarmament and schools are not fighting that either.  I am not allowed a first amendment as a teacher, because I am in a position of authority.  With this, I agree with the statement "No action, is an action!" (Sorry, that is as political as I will be, hopefully it was not too much for the forum rules...)

As a younger person money is a barrier... loving my kids comes first, feeding them and giving them life experience and opportunities follows closely behind (I hear some of you saying, "teaching them about firearms is loving them and giving them experience" and I agree)

I would say the number one barrier for new shooter's has always been and always will be TIME... (this is the same problem for other organizations, as well)...

Finding a range, finding equipment, finding accouterments, finding or making ammunition, research, research, research.  All to walk up to a match or annual meeting to have some curmudgeon criticize your work, because it isn't correct.  (Thankfully, this never happened to me... I have the best Posse!!)
Getting to and from matches isn't always easy and the matches sometimes take all day... not terrible to spend a day out shooting, but then comes the cleaning, the reloading... not to mention my wife at home with the younger ones who won't keep their muffs on.  All worth it to the right person!

It isn't "easy" to find NCOWS, SASS,or BP organizations, or the right firearms.  It is easy to find modern firearms, and if someone is only going to buy a single firearm, then they will miss out on the fun of CAS. 

Reactive targets make the world go 'round

I put forth... (and am going to propose to my posse...)

If a club would have an open range day...
A publicized day (or two) where "other" firearms are welcome with all members helping to run small scenarios, educate on period correctness, shooting style, and the chance to see how fun single actions really can be... (kind of a mini convention)  Then awareness would increase, fun with firearms would increase, and membership would increase!

The Scouts were starting to do CAS (your posse might also volunteer some help with that if they are running this at their summer camps)

Knob Creek anyone?

This would increase security needs as it makes people aware of your range, but the awareness of the sport would breath new life into the posses.
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2020, 02:20:11 PM »
Money is a big problem for the younger generation. I have a grand daughter that seems quite interested, but I may need to step up and help her with purchasing the correct rifle and revolver.

Offline Mickey Lugo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2020, 02:35:08 AM »
At 56, I’m not sure I count as new blood, but, though I’m an experienced shooter, I’m brand new to the whole CAS thing, in fact I haven’t attended a match yet.

I will say I’m much more drawn to the history, and somewhat to movie characters I’ve always liked, and of course to the shooting itself, though the speed thing is less interesting.

Anyway, hoping to hit a match in the coming weeks, if it doesn’t get cancelled, and we’ll see where I fit in to this world.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2020, 07:26:38 AM »
Snake Oil,
our club, Blue River Regulators, regularly(pre pandemic) offers a Greenhorn shoot to introduce potential members to all the fun. Our people provide guidance at each stage and most bring an assortment of hardware and leather to try.

We once hosted a group from Scandinavia, outfitted them with clothing, leather and firearms. Great fun to see their smiling, appreciative faces.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2020, 08:21:02 AM »
At 56, I’m not sure I count as new blood, but, though I’m an experienced shooter, I’m brand new to the whole CAS thing, in fact I haven’t attended a match yet.

I will say I’m much more drawn to the history, and somewhat to movie characters I’ve always liked, and of course to the shooting itself, though the speed thing is less interesting.

Anyway, hoping to hit a match in the coming weeks, if it doesn’t get cancelled, and we’ll see where I fit in to this world.

Obviously speed does enter into the picture, but in my opinion, accuracy is more important. I will never be fast, I am simply too old and wobbly, and so what if I don't get a good score? I still have a LOT of fun.

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2020, 09:25:39 AM »
I am afraid a combination of the new administration's luke warm stance towards guns, COVID and the non-availability of bullets will pretty much doom CAS and many other gun sports to a slow death.  I have not been able to find .45 Colt ammo locally for 6 months and online it is high as a cat's back.  I am hearing it might b 2022 before the supply returns o 2019 levels.

PLEASE  do NOT take this thread any more political than I just did.  I would hate to see it locked.
Scouts Out!

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2020, 09:50:10 AM »
I am afraid a combination of the new administration's luke warm stance towards guns, COVID and the non-availability of bullets will pretty much doom CAS and many other gun sports to a slow death.  I have not been able to find .45 Colt ammo locally for 6 months and online it is high as a cat's back.  I am hearing it might b 2022 before the supply returns o 2019 levels.

PLEASE  do NOT take this thread any more political than I just did.  I would hate to see it locked.

I think we all have those same thoughts and fears, but I am TRYING to maintain a positive attitude about the whole thing. I have enough ammo already loaded to get us through this next season, but after that it gets sketchy.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
For the ammo thing, I think if someone can't get primers, (possibly me) or
other components. That we should relax a rule or two. For instance, if they have
22 ammo and guns, we should do anything to get them to shoot. IMHO.

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:32 AM »
As long as we're not going political, Thank God for a new administration!

(I didn't want to, but I just had to go political.  ;D)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »

:(  Oh Poo   :(

Sadly, NCOWS suffers the same malady as CAS/SASS.  No "real" new blood.  Current young haven't been raised on Saturday Cowboy Matinees, B Western movies, Prime Time Western Shows, all that stuff.  they have grown up with First Person Shooter electronic games on their Play Stations.  Younger parents suffer the same conditions.

Add to the above, the current lack of shooting supplies and things get even worse.  I have been commenting on the Slow, Lingering Death of CAS for some time now.  It's obvious with the universal decline in participation.  Winter Range and EOT use to host 850+ shooters.  Now lucky to break 500.  Same Same with the "Annual" matches around the country.  I don't see any kind of fix anytime soon.

Current and past politics will have little if any effect.  While welcomed by the Majority, don't expect and earth shaking changes to most firearms policies.  Some Yes, most no.  Relax.  Don't get yer knickers in a twist.  Bad things just aren't gonna happen.  Look Forward with anticipation of a better tomorrow.

People are Hazardous to yer Health

Offline Mickey Lugo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2020, 11:37:10 AM »
Obviously speed does enter into the picture, but in my opinion, accuracy is more important. I will never be fast, I am simply too old and wobbly, and so what if I don't get a good score? I still have a LOT of fun.

What’s the saying the “operator” guys like to use... “slow is smooth, and smooth is fast”.

I’m looking forward to shooting, it’s been a while since I’ve been to a range.

Offline Snake Oil

• Snake Oil
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A day shooting is good for what ails ya!
  • NCOWS #: L-198
  • GAF #: 889
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2021, 07:06:01 AM »
Blue River Regulators, regularly(pre pandemic) offers a Greenhorn shoot to introduce potential members to all the fun. Our people provide guidance at each stage and most bring an assortment of hardware and leather to try.

RJC, thank you for the insight that it can work... if you wouldn't mind sharing an invite to your next greenhorn shoot I would appreciate it... I may not be able to make it, but would like to try, just to see it first hand.

How did you get hooked up with a group from Scandinavia?
A day shooting is good for what ails ya!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2021, 08:34:17 AM »
I'm not really sure how we ended up with our Scandinavian guests. I believe they were going to be in the area for business or agricultural trade purposes and had the itch to do some Cowboy shooting and contacted one of our members. Hopefully someone from our club will jump in and give the history.

I do know the Japanese businessmen who shot with us one time were from Corporate headquarters of a local manufacturing plant where several of our members were employed.

Next time we plan a Greenhorn shoot, we'll let you know.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com