Author Topic: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs  (Read 3273 times)

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
I don't see it here, surprisingly, but has anyone seen the latest Coen Brothers movie, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs?  It's showing this side of the Atlantic on Netflix. It's a series of stories, not one long story like True Grit, all based on a story book called The Ballad.... I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It's had mixed reviews, some 5 star some 3 stars but it is a beautifully filmed movie, just what a Western should be. One or two stand out for me. The story with Liam Neeson and JonJo O'Neill is great. Interestingly, Neeson was born about 30 miles from me and JonJo O'Neill was born about 8 miles from me. Some great thing happen in the movie and will stick with you for days.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
My wife and I started it the other day while we were on vacation, but we had to cut it short and haven't gotten the chance to start it again. I liked what I saw - beautifully filmed movie.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 02:26:58 AM »
Watched it yesterday.
I'm a bit torn in my views. I don't like this short story approach in movies in general but in this one it kinda worked.
Nice little stories with most spiffing camera work.
All in all I was slightly dissapointed, but worth watching in my mind

-Bulldog

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:39:19 PM »

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »
I have always enjoyed the Cons films, so I gave it a shot. I enjoyed most of the stories, Buster Scuffs was the best of them, and still love their comedy.

Offline 44caliberkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
We watched it on Netflix last night.  I thought the first two stories were hilarious.  The others, more tragic but still greatly entertaining. We liked it a lot.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 11:11:13 PM »
My brother has a Netflix DVD membership (no streaming), but unfortunately this movie is apparently streaming only.  Dang.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 12:28:59 PM »
I really enjoyed the first two chapters but the next two fell short for me. After these I didn?t bother to watch any more but I?m ready to rewatch the first two anytime. ?Do you need a count??  :o
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
I really enjoyed the first two chapters but the next two fell short for me. After these I didn?t bother to watch any more but I?m ready to rewatch the first two anytime. ?Do you need a count??  :o

I'd say give the final two a try. My wife and I enjoyed the second to last, 'The Gal Who Got Rattled', and the final one, while not quite a Western story, was fun and a little spooky. On the whole I really liked the anthology. I hope the Coen Brothers keep making Westerns.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com