Author Topic: how would the .44 rim fire stack up with todays ammo?  (Read 81194 times)

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: how would the .44 rim fire stack up with todays ammo?
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:25 PM »
Nice shooting and a very fine old rifle. Cool idea with making your centerfire ammo into rimfire ammo.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2022, 03:10:16 PM »
Dredging up this thread yet again. I went to the range a few days ago to shoot both the .44 rimfire Ballard rifle and the .44 rimfire converted to centerfire Remington rolling block. I made a short video of the fun.

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2022, 11:39:17 PM »
      Greetings, Ndnchf!

I noticed that the shorter Remington .44CF produced significantly less smoke, and seemed to have a "stouter" muzzle blast; better ignition?

M.T.M.
                 11-06-22

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 06:49:42 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2022, 04:44:23 AM »
      Greetings, Ndnchf!

I noticed that the shorter Remington .44CF produced significantly less smoke, and seemed to have a "stouter" muzzle blast; better ignition?

M.T.M.
                 11-06-22

Good observation.

In consideration of the Ballard's cast iron receiver, I load its cartrudges light, with some filler and Blackhorn 209. The Remington cartridges were loaded with Reloader 7 - thus less smoke, but more bark.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline cactus joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2022, 05:47:19 PM »
For your Ballard loads how hard is it to remove the .22 casing from the brass or are they just set in there?

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2022, 05:57:43 PM »
For your Ballard loads how hard is it to remove the .22 casing from the brass or are they just set in there?

Unlike power tool blanks, acorn blanks tap out pretty easy. They are a .001" - .002" interference fit. I made a little decapping stand and punch. I doesn't take much longer or more effort than decapping centerfire primers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com