Author Topic: A Big Bowie and Traditional Sheath  (Read 10120 times)

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Big Bowie and Traditional Sheath
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »

The Bowie by a maker named Lofgren is based on the Musso Bowie (a controversial knife due to the brass back - but that's a subject for another thread). Despite the controversy, it's overall a decent example of the large Bowies of the 1840-1860's period - the blade is 13.5" x 2.5" and the knife weighs 2.5 lbs. While large it is well balanced and IMO when considered to be a short sword rather than a large knife it is not unwieldy for that purpose - I consider these big Bowies more on the order of the espada de anchas and other types of period short swords, which were intended as a weapon rather than as an all purpose knife.
The sheath is a typical period style with a center back seam and German silver tip and throat. It also includes one style of period frog aka belt hanger which are far too often missing from the surviving originals. While some period knives were carried under the belt using the stud to hold it place, they were designed to be worn with such a frog.
While many of the original period sheath were made with a papier mache liner covered with leather, I used a bark tan liner covered with a light bark tan cover. Other than that change the sheath was built using period materials, including hide glue to glue the cover to the liner, the coloring done by vinegar black, and the finish which is one recipe of dubbin: a mix of tallow, bees wax, and neats foot oil. The line carving is based on several original pieces as were the German Silver tip and throat - the tip and throat are pinned in place on the backside. The sheath was aged including some dents and a light patina - used but not abused.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
Re: A Big Bowie and Traditional Sheath
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »
Very nice Chuck, is there a belt loop on the back of the frog? It's a little hard for me to tell from the picture.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:05:12 AM »
Outstanding, Chuck. I think you are correct,,the big bowie of the 19th century was a 'side arm'...the equivalent of the 'short sword' of the 18th century. I think it is hard for moderns to grasp the idea of the knife being a 'side arm',,because we haven't existed in a violent world armed with single shot (or very slow re-load) types of weapons.

That, and the fact they are just kewl as hell !

MD

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:14:13 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
Chuck,

I love the knife .... and the sheath .... I had to keep saying to myself; 'You already have too many knives!'

Kinda reminds me in size of the one Sam Elliot wore in 'The Quick and the Dead' ... but since he never pulled it out of his sheath in the whole movie, I can only guess ... *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 08:53:46 AM »
Now Chuck that is nice.....I didn't know you were making me a birthday present. ;D ;D ;D
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
I have a good Musso Bowie replica from Imperial Weapons with the same proportions and weight as this one (guard is brass, though, not iron). It is, indeed, a short sword rather than a knife. Somewhere, it has crossed that subtle line. In fact, it is really a small  medieval falchion, the classic foot soldier's sword, and would have been right at home on the belt of a crossbowman or pikeman. Falchions were usually employed in conjunction with a small shield called a buckler, whereas these 19th century specimens were not. It can't be used with the subtle moves of the lighter, "dueling" Bowies, but with this one, you don't have to cut someone twice.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
Here ya go Wadd,this is the one.. ;)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Rick,
I gotta bad knee, and no caisson or horses to pull that thing .... *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
Thanks all - this one was real challenge and the owner called yesterday and said he loves the heck out of it!

Ned - take a look at the third picture and you can see the belt loop sticking out above the sheath - it's part of the frog. The frog is made out of three pieces:
1) The back - which is an upside down T shape, The belt loop is folded forward and is either sewn or riveted to the cross piece on the back side
2) The front piece which is wet formed and sewn to the back along both edges
3) The lock strap - usually I make this to attach to the main stud, but due to the size of this piece I had to add an additional stud. Many of the originals don't have this strap, but I find that without it, the frog is not as stable so I use it unless otherwise directed by the customer.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Ned Buckshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Ned at Silverado, NM
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
Thanks Chuck!

Ned
Ned Buckshot