Author Topic: Good sources for '70s PC Bowies?  (Read 12682 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good sources for '70s PC Bowies?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »
That large one is marked 'Original Bowie' - they were made in Germany, at Solingen - and are good quality blades.

All they need are better scabbards, and they have good 'early' look, coupled with good steel and actual Stag.

They became popular in the 1960's, and were imported by the big mail-order sellers of the era.

Vaya,

Scouts Out
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »
DarbyFett – I’m 100% with St Geo on this (reference his first post in this thread): a 5 pin handle butcher knife would be an economical and undoubtedly historically accurate way to go for you in my opinion. Atlanta Cutlery offers affordable repro knives, though use care when selecting from their inventory. A solid choice would be what Atlanta calls the ‘1880 Bowie’. This one is a style I’ve seen in several Civil War era ferrotypes and is definitely period correct. However, though the price may suit your needs the blade length is a bit too long for your stated requirement.

In closing, of the two types of knives – original butcher or Atlanta Cutlery repro – I’d say you might just be better off with an original butcher which was a very common knife of the era, can be found at reasonable prices, and that old steel holds a helluva sharp edge.

Brass

top is Atlanta Cutlery '1880 knife', bottom two are examples of period butcher knives (no maker info stamped on blades)
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 10:28:01 PM »
Howdy Darbyfett!
For a good look at the blades of bowie knives, check out "The Bowie Knife; Unsheathing an American Legend" by Norm Flayderman.  Loks of great color pictures.  R.L. Wilson's "The Peacemakers; Arms and Adventures in the American West" also has lots of pictures of period blades.
As for knives getting smaller after the Civil War, yes, but I think you'd still see quite a few larger blades (>6 inches) in the 1870s; Flayderman has a number of large blades pictures from the 1870s-80s.  And if your character is a bit of a wild one, I could easily see such a character toting an 8 -10 inch blade as part of his bravado.
That sheffield you posted is a good looking period correct piece; and would work well as part of an 1880's working cowboy outfit (if one decided not to go the butcher knife route).
(And I have something real similar actually by R. Cooper, Sheffield England!)  Plan on buying a new period correct custom made sheath for whatever knife you get.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:08:59 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com