Author Topic: Willie "California Creek" Dixon reporting for duty!  (Read 5408 times)

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Willie "California Creek" Dixon reporting for duty!
« on: January 07, 2009, 04:10:13 AM »
With my sincerest thank you I would like to humbly join the Grand Army of the Frontier.

I checked out the GAF website, finally got that working, and I'm all for being a member.

My great-great grand Uncle is "Billy" Dixon, so in his honor and remembrance I am applying for a position within your Scout divisions.  Most notably the "Buffalo Scout" division.  (OOC I am also purchasing other firearms as well, but I'm building my Sharps from scratch in about two weeks and getting 1858 Remington.)

Here are the basics of my attire and reasons therein:
United States Navy/Revenue Cutter Service Shell Jacket (1864 double breasted, junior officer)
United States Navy/Revenue Cutter Service Frock Coat (1864 double breasted, junior officer)
"High Plains Drifter" Hat - same one as Charlie Prince in the new 3:10 to Yuma
Buckskin pants
Cavalry boots

now as to the why... Willie Dixon is a sailor that always had fantasies about the frontier.  He served during the Civil War with the Revenue Cutter Service with the Union blockading rebel ships and confiscating smuggled cargo.  The boat he sailed the most time on was the Harriet Lane.  He still has that "life" about him, he's honored by his service and enjoys the funny looks he gets when people spot his "unique" wardrobe.

OOC
ok, so basically I'm going to be working on a custom 1874 Sharps in my gunsmithing class.  After fervor enthusiasm I was able to convince them that all rifling classes can be met with either this gun or my Marlin lever-action I'll purchase after building this.  I'm getting the C Sharps model 1874 double trigger action and will be making the stocks and the barrel from scratch.

If I have to wait until this is complete, I humbly understand and I just wanted to say this seems really awesome.  I'm a history/anthropology double major, which in reality just translates to a "living historian."

Thanks

Pat
Willie "California Creek" Dixon
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Willie "California Creek" Dixon reporting for duty!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:13:53 PM »
Welcome aboard! Nowhere do we require you to have weapons in hand to join.  Morning parade is a 0700, Scouts included.  If you'll be so kind as to come with me, we'll repair to the sutlers to see about your whisky ration . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »
Aye, aye, reportin' in.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:03 AM »

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »
Mr Dixon welcome aboard!!

I portray a later USRCS officer rouchly 1870-90's who has served on USRCS McCullough and have been able to secure some period correct reproduction buttons from waterbury button company.

These are new buttons made from the original die.  While they are not 1850-160's buttonms if you desire some please let me know.  I had to buy a full box of large and small buttons and would love to help out anothe Coastie re-enactor/shooter with actual USRM/USRCS buttons.

V/r Pony Racer
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:25:57 PM »
OMG, thank you so much.  I'll let you know when I'm ready to make that purchase!

My mom is an awesome stitcher and I got some skills in the pattern department so for less than one coat, I get to have the whole uniform!!  Shell Jacket, Dress Frock, Undress Frock, overcoat, etc... I just love that USRCS era, we were basically Federal Pirates! LOL

oh, and btw, I'm Coastie born and bred too.  USCG TACLET and Rescue Swimmer, June 2001-June 2006... November 161 basic training company class and QM 04-02 class for A-school! (I think those pics are still on Fred's Place)

so are you just a fan, or fellow Coastie too?

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »
Welcome aboard  Just what we needed another yankee  ;D ;D ;D
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:58 PM »
Welcome aboard  Just what we needed another yankee  ;D ;D ;D

Worse than that, another in the Revanue Cutter Service, wait till River City John sees this. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
T Men, G Men, Revenuers too!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »
WD - I am an Active Duty O-4 (just waiting for July to put on O-5).

I went to OCS when it was still in Yorktown back in 1993 and have been on ships, Groups, a SECTOR , LANTAREA staff and now HQ staff working Defense Ops.

When I was at LANT I was supporting the TACLET program with testing/buying new equipment, the ill-fated DPB project and non-lethal tech and alot of the fun things being a mid grade LT doing that stuff was awesome!!

I spent a year with the USMC getting my Masters degree - which was great fun (thats is why I am at DC now).

I hope to go back to the field next year and return to either the South East Coast or Gulf Coast.

Are you retired or still in?

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 07:21:12 PM »
I'm out.  I enlisted and got my money.  I also did it as a foot in the door for Federal Law Enforcement.  I've been wanting to be a US Marshall all my life, I figured that was good for my resume.  Now I'm at Northern Arizona University, taking advantage of those benefits and I'll be getting that USMS Internship in about a year!  I heard rumor that you get that, you're almost guaranteed a badge, as long as you don't mess up in-between of course.  I also like it because it'll give me a great chance to feel out the USMS or if I want to go to a Sheriff spot in Prescott area.

I loved Yorktown, so beautiful. I was there in the spring-summer.  Cape May was cold during Jan-March!  I was a Quartermaster by trade and did a bunch of extra side gigs on my boat.  USCGC Hamilton, WHEC 715!

I just thought it'd be cool to combine my Great-great grand Uncle's history, with my past as well.  Make a USRCS member that got out after the Civil War and headed west.  Makes for a great, unique looking costume as well.

Fair winds and following seas

and congrats on getting that O-5 spot, I know that's a hard one to get to.  Looking forward to command of a 210?

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:06:30 PM »
WD - sounds like a full nice career.

I was actually looking to work for USMS when I got selected to USCG OCS - the USMS had a hiring freeze.  I had scored very high on their test and did well on my interview.

I liked their missions and their style.

No sweat on the buttons - I was only able to score them when waterbury made an accident and tried to sell several thousane to a re-enactor group who thought they were buying 1840 style USRM buttons.  A friend who is in that group called me when they had to return the 1870-80's buttons and walla - I got a buy some.

It is fun getting further into the history and the wool uniform sure comes inhandy in fall winter and early spring.

I am looking to go back to a SECTOR as either the XO or the response dept Head at a large Sector.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »
Good luck with your new billet PR.

I really like the Wool frock coat idea for school!  It's pretty nice out right now, but it dips down below into single digits as a low sometimes up here in Flagstaff, so it'll definitely get its use!

Do you know if the USRCS used basically the same uniform wool frock as the Navy at that time?  I've found tons of info for them.  here's the jacket I was thinking of:

does that look about right to you?

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
That coat looks like mine.

I ordered the 1864 frock from Quartermastershop.  They are not cheap but you get a well made, ready for shooting and re-enactor wear garment.  they also usually deliver ahead of sthe sked they give you which is nice.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »
Thanks PR,

I'll go check out quartermastershop now.  Any chance that you've found pictures of USRCS men?  I remember seeing them all over at TRACEN Cape May... I just can't seem to be finding any in Google.  I'm looking to become an NCOWS Original, so any help in pictures would be great.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
Willie,
Glad to see you found your way here, and Congratulations.

If you have the time we'd sure love to have you attend the Grand Muster Next Oct. Next year's GM will have stages based on Medal of Honor winner's exploits, and as you know your Great Uncle was among this group. It's a great time!

Be sure to check out the 2 links below.

http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/GAF%20Muster%20Registartion%202009.pdf

http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/muster08.htm

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »
Willie, I attended the Muster in 08 and had a great time and enjoyed meeting the members in person. The facilities were great and the food was great too.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »
I'll try to make it, no guarantee though since I may be doing my internship with the USMS by then, school has all of a sudden taken off at flank speed so to speak, went from trying to scrounge up enough money for six units to transferring schools and taking 18!

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
I have a question about my application too.  I filled out everything, and then it sent it all to outlook to send it.  I don't use outlook so I just copied and pasted the "to" section and the body of the e-mail in my Yahoo.  This was back around Christmas or so, any chance that the application has gotten to whoever it needs to?

Offline Eagle Eyes Jefferson

• Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »
If you're talking about your GAF Enlistment papers. You have already been processed and an email sent to the one you provided. There is a thread that reads ATTENTION IN THE BARRACKS, on this page. It contains a welcome to all new recruits, which you are one, as well as being listed in the GAF roster on the GAF home page at the top banner. Look under #'s 600-699. Also, send me an email at drum4him@verizon.net so I can compare to see if the address I sent your welcome letter to is correct.

Thanks and welcome to the GAF!!!!

Lt. Col. Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Assistant Adjutant General- Enlistments
Eagle Eyes Jefferson
Chaplain for Department of the Atlantic
GAF #478
Department of the Atlantic
BOLD #893

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 01:41:54 AM »
Lt. Col.  thank you so much sir for your quick response.  I'm really excited.  I'm wondering if somehow it ended up accidentally in my spam bin or something... rrrg
I'll write you an e-mail now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com