CAS TOPICS > 1911 & Wild Bunch Shooting

I did a REALLY dumb thing

(1/4) > >>

Quiet Burp:
First post and I did a REALLY dumb thing.
I've started WB, bought a brand new Ruger, BUT I'm moving and all my reloading gear is packed away (don't have .45acp dies yet either).

A friend offered to load me 100 to try my new gun out. I told him repeatedly to load 3.9grains of my WST behind the 230grain lead coated projectiles.

They worked but they were pretty hot! Ended up he loaded them all at 4.9grains of WST :(

Could that loading have damaged my new pistol in anyway? What would the pressure have been from these loads?

Thanks in advance.

RoyceP:
Depends on the bullet. Hodgdon Calls out the Hornady 230 grain FMJ FP as being OK for minimum loads of 4.1 grains of WST to 4.9 grains of WST at a reported 16.100 CUP with a velocity of 848 FPS.

Sounds like your friend was OK.

Quiet Burp:

--- Quote from: RoyceP on December 22, 2023, 07:49:09 PM ---Depends on the bullet. Hodgdon Calls out the Hornady 230 grain FMJ FP as being OK for minimum loads of 4.1 grains of WST to 4.9 grains of WST at a reported 16.100 CUP with a velocity of 848 FPS.

Sounds like your friend was OK.

--- End quote ---

Hi Royce,
The projectile loaded was below, how much different is a cast lead (coated) projectile to a FMJ?  -

Advertising:

Hair Trigger Jim:
Cast lead is softer and will create less pressure than a similar jacketed bullet, so you should be fine.

Abilene:
Hodgdon's data shows 4.9 gr WST as a max for a jacketed 230gr bullet, but only 4.3gr max for a 230gr lead bullet.  Perhaps the lead bullet generally being .001 larger diameter is a factor.  There's a reason they felt really hot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version