Author Topic: A nice present.  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
A nice present.
« on: January 11, 2022, 12:00:44 AM »
Back in October I got a phone call from a good friend of mine who is getting into knife making PT.   Since I was fighting Covid at the time he just dropped this off in the hiding place on my porch and told me it was a get well and early birthday present.  Was no big shock since we discussed the design around a cook fire in September.  The idea was the perfect camp knife taking elements from several original knives.   We are both happy with it despite me not having tried it out yet.   It is big enough to chop kindling if needed, one could butcher a deer, buffalo or rabbit into meat if need be and it would likely hurt a bit to get stabbed or cut with if it came to that.  Also it needed to look good.

The sheath is designed to be carried cutting edge forward on the right hip, my preferred method for a working knife, the shamrock stamping is just because, I bought a box for some leather at a garage sale and had no use for the stamps, so he put that on it knowing I like very plain leather.

He plans on having one with fancier wood I gave him made soon and will donate it  to Rock Creek Station State Historical Park for them to raffle off.  The walnut one this one is rather plain as proper on a working knife and has just a couple coats of linseed oil on it, he knows that is one of my loves so when it gets warm I will go to the front porch and put another 20 or so coats on it in the manner of the London Gunmakers.   
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
Re: A nice present.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 12:51:52 AM »
That is a dandy  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:34:47 AM »
That is a dandy  :)

It's a nice companion to this smaller one I made 30 years ago but falls short when a bigger knife is needed, have made about 30 like this but only 2 with red cedar and my brother has it, the rest have walnut and some of the blades have more depth like the second one I made for Micha Brooks.   Simple plain knifes made to be a working knife.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:40:05 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:04:04 AM »
That's a beautiful knife and a great story. Thanks!

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 11:19:12 AM »
Back in October I got a phone call from a good friend of mine who is getting into knife making PT.   Since I was fighting Covid at the time he just dropped this off in the hiding place on my porch and told me it was a get well and early birthday present.  Was no big shock since we discussed the design around a cook fire in September.  The idea was the perfect camp knife taking elements from several original knives.   We are both happy with it despite me not having tried it out yet.   It is big enough to chop kindling if needed, one could butcher a deer, buffalo or rabbit into meat if need be and it would likely hurt a bit to get stabbed or cut with if it came to that.  Also it needed to look good.

The sheath is designed to be carried cutting edge forward on the right hip, my preferred method for a working knife, the shamrock stamping is just because, I bought a box for some leather at a garage sale and had no use for the stamps, so he put that on it knowing I like very plain leather.

He plans on having one with fancier wood I gave him made soon and will donate it  to Rock Creek Station State Historical Park for them to raffle off.  The walnut one this one is rather plain as proper on a working knife and has just a couple coats of linseed oil on it, he knows that is one of my loves so when it gets warm I will go to the front porch and put another 20 or so coats on it in the manner of the London Gunmakers.

That's a really good looking knife and sheath.  Is that sheath to be worn inside the belt with belt thru that single slot?  OR, is there some other belt attachment on back of sheath?  If so, would you mind posting an image of back side? 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com