Author Topic: Spencer reloading question  (Read 348 times)

Offline LaughingTerror

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer reloading question
« on: February 11, 2024, 04:42:30 PM »
Hi all. I am rarely new to BP reloading. Been doing a sharps 45/70 for about 2 years. I have an original 1865 Spencer carbine with a centerfire conversion in it I inherited from my father. His reloading data shows 2 different loads he used. Either 35 or 39 grains of goex ff. When I loaded a case with 35 grains using a 30 inch drop tube it fills the case to the top. I have seen a few videos that show guys loading 42 grains and the case filling up that much. It just seems a little full to me and when I seat the bullet it will be a fair amount of compression. Anybody else reload for an original carbine let me know if this is normal?  If I measure how deep the bullet sets and fill it to that mark it comes to 19.5 grains with no compression.

Thank you for any help

Robert

Online Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Spencer reloading question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 05:15:45 PM »
Are you measuring grains by weight or grains by volume?

Offline LaughingTerror

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 05:16:27 PM »
Weight

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:07:04 PM »

Offline barkerwc4362

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 12:41:15 PM »
Compression is a fact of life in reloading with black.  I don't reload for an original Spencer, but do for one of the replicas in 56-50.  In Starline brass I can load as much as 40 grains, but it is compressed with a Montana Precision compression die, after a wad is placed over the powder before I seat the bullet.  I adjust the compression die so the bullet is in contact with the wad and does no compression when seated.  This is the same basic method I use for loading 40-65 and 50-70 with black.  Original loads used some compression.  The amount of compression can vary based upon powder brand and granulation.

Offline dossierleap

• Citizen
    • Eggy Car
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 01:25:58 AM »
By adding a layer of powder on top of the powder layer before inserting the bullet, you can load the 40-65 with a black that has been compressed significantly. The compression die should be adjusted such that the bullet makes contact with the liner of the Montana Precision compression die. Variations in the brand and kind of granules may occur in the amount of compaction.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com