Author Topic: Well I did it...I just ordered a Henry Repeating Arms H011 in .44-40!  (Read 11035 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Well I did it...I just ordered a Henry Repeating Arms H011 in .44-40!
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »

And a really swell righteous stable you have too.  I think it's particularly fun to shoot CAS with Rifles, Pistols and Shotguns that just might be comparable to those guns from "Back in The Day."  Shooting Open Tops along with a Henry is Uber KOOL.  I do however, take great Umbrage wid yer Shotgun.  gotz no external hammers.  Really need a Hammer Double (Tongue stuck firmly in Cheek).  Hammer doubles are really the Biz.

I personally shoot Cap Guns, SNUBBIES at that with my Henry and one of SIX different Hammer Doubles.  If I absolutely "have" to shoot Suppositories, I have a pair of Pietta 1860 that are Kirst Konverter(ed) for .45 and my really "old" 45 Schofield Open Tops ("X" serial numbers) that also have .38 and 44 cylinders and barrels.  Oh, and I also run All Brass hulls in my shotguns.  totally FUN stuff.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »
Bernie, to be honest since CC changed formats I mostly only read what you write.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
Bernie, to be honest since CC changed formats I mostly only read what you write.

Will Ketchum

Ditto....  and only when Bernie or Dakota Ike sends me a copy ....
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  There are VERY few articles that are either historical or other than advertiser blurbs.  Dispatches from Camp Baylor are usually pretty good too.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »
Nice looking gun. All of the Henry's I've looked at were very nice and was very curious how your report would be on the polishing of the barrel.

Honestly the only thing that keeps me from buying one is the over buffing of the barrel and rounded edges. Being a knifemaker I just can't get over that, rounded edges on a corner that is supposed to be there is a sign of poor craftmanship and amatuer buffing practices. I wish Henry would let someone train there staff on how to properly buff.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 06:17:26 AM »
The problem is the cost of surface preparation, prior to buffing. It would be more expensive to correctly prepare the barrel surface than it is to  just heavily buff and therefore lose the straight edges. Strange how Uberti manage without over-buffing!

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2019, 11:10:08 PM »
It is so beautiful, I can give them a pass on the over buffing.  I love it!  It is the FAVORITE lever rifle I have ever owned.

I used it again today at our local match. Our rifle targets were all on the 25 yards berm. Pop cans, water bottles (12 oz) and 2" colored plastic balls for bonus points.  I shot clean including the 2 inch bonus balls.  This thing is just crazy accurate!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
The problem is the cost of surface preparation, prior to buffing. It would be more expensive to correctly prepare the barrel surface than it is to  just heavily buff and therefore lose the straight edges. Strange how Uberti manage without over-buffing!

That's always been my point, Uberti can do it on the thousands they produce so why can't Henry which if anything is probably a higher end gun do the same? I agree on poor prep prior to buffing, that's where many knifemakers make their mistakes, if you are spending more than a few minutes on the buffer you should have spent more time at the grinder.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com