Author Topic: Parts/Smithing Question  (Read 1539 times)

Offline VoyPescado

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Parts/Smithing Question
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »
Hey folks,
      As some of you may have read in my other recent posts, I recently acquired a USFA HN.  The gun arrived as advertised and is in beautiful overall condition.  I can tell that the previous owner enjoyed some range time with this one, but he also took great care of the gun.  That being said, there is a slight turn ring that seemingly indicates a timing issue.  Namely, the bolt dropping a bit before the lead.  Upon disassembling the revolver for a thorough cleaning after my first range session with it, I found two probable causes for the early bolt drop.

1.) The bolt leg has been worn down in the manner commonly seen in "SAA" revolvers.  i.e. almost worn to a sharp point.  I've read before that this is attributed to excess friction caused by the heavy factory mainspring. 
  2.) The hand has also been worn fairly significantly resulting in a less defined/shorter "tip".  This is, in my mind, would result in the under-rotating cylinder and mistimed bolt drop.

Sooo... my options are as follows:  send the gun off for some TLC (Already talked to the folks at Nutmeg and they offered to fix the issue for a very reasonable price.) , or order the parts myself and make the necessary repairs.

If I decide to order a new bolt and hand assembly, where can I track one down and what parts manufacturer should I be looking at to fit a USFA.  (I do understand that the bolt will require some fitting either way). I now a lot of folks swap the factory springs out on these guys, which I will be doing either way just to lessen long-term wear, but any additional advice on the other repairs would be hugely appreciated.  Sorry again for the long-winded post, and will post some pictures of the new gun asap.
  -Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com