Author Topic: Question About Hardness of Leather  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 693
Question About Hardness of Leather
« on: August 11, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
I'm only 3 holsters into my leather work but I have been wondering and can't seem to find the answer here or anywhere.

The holsters that I have made all end up with the finished product being very hard and rigid. 

I also have a couple rigs from other makers and they are pretty hard and rigid also. I know this is not a bad thing really but others I have are not as rigid.

I have a couple Kirkpatrick rigs that the belts and holsters have more flexibility in them than mine.

What is the cause of mine being so hard?

Is it the type of leather, the dye, the process?

Kirkpatrick says on their website that they use 8-9oz Saddle Leather. Is this a different type of leather than a Weaver Double Shoulder?
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Question About Hardness of Leather
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »
I'm only 3 holsters into my leather work but I have been wondering and can't seem to find the answer here or anywhere.

The holsters that I have made all end up with the finished product being very hard and rigid. 

I also have a couple rigs from other makers and they are pretty hard and rigid also. I know this is not a bad thing really but others I have are not as rigid.

I have a couple Kirkpatrick rigs that the belts and holsters have more flexibility in them than mine.

What is the cause of mine being so hard?

If you were an aussie ----saddle leather would be greased some - has a little flexibility without being soft - carving leather we call dry bag leather - it gets stiff after working it wet (damp) and drying out. 

Is it the type of leather, the dye, the process?

Kirkpatrick says on their website that they use 8-9oz Saddle Leather. Is this a different type of leather than a Weaver Double Shoulder?

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:46 PM »
 ;D
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:01:26 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 06:43:22 PM »
Does the leather being hard interfere with inserting and drawing the gun in the holster?  If so, you may want to wet-fit the holster to the gun.  Run tepid water over the entire surface, inside and out for about 30 seconds or until the leather is pliable. Place the gun in a plastic baggie, wrapping it around the gun snuggly.  Insert the gun in the holster forming the leather around the gun (ejector thumb piece, etc.).  If necessary, use a wooden dowel with the end rounded to form the inside of the body.  Allow to dry for at least six hours, then remove the gun and allow the holster to dry thoroughly. Put the gun back in the holster and work it around a bit until it draws smoothly...to suit your taste.

Depending on how you dye and wet-fit your holsters they probably will wind up hard. A light application of Lexol(R) Leather Conditioner will soften the leather by restoring oils.  DO NOT OVERDO IT, HOWEVER!  I use a spray bottle (that can be the container the conditioner comes in), spraying a light application on the outside of the holster, then wiping it off with a soft cloth (old T-shirt works great).  if the leather is still very hard, repeat, but, again, don't overdo it. Do NOT use Neatsfoot Oil on the leather.
Stay well, Pard!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
Does the leather being hard interfere with inserting and drawing the gun in the holster?  If so, you may want to wet-fit the holster to the gun.  Run tepid water over the entire surface, inside and out for about 30 seconds or until the leather is pliable. Place the gun in a plastic baggie, wrapping it around the gun snuggly.  Insert the gun in the holster forming the leather around the gun (ejector thumb piece, etc.).  If necessary, use a wooden dowel with the end rounded to form the inside of the body.  Allow to dry for at least six hours, then remove the gun and allow the holster to dry thoroughly. Put the gun back in the holster and work it around a bit until it draws smoothly...to suit your taste.

Depending on how you dye and wet-fit your holsters they probably will wind up hard. A light application of Lexol(R) Leather Conditioner will soften the leather by restoring oils.  DO NOT OVERDO IT, HOWEVER!  I use a spray bottle (that can be the container the conditioner comes in), spraying a light application on the outside of the holster, then wiping it off with a soft cloth (old T-shirt works great).  if the leather is still very hard, repeat, but, again, don't overdo it. Do NOT use Neatsfoot Oil on the leather.
Stay well, Pard!

Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough. The belts (mostly) that I have made by Kirkpatrick are more flexible I guess you would say. I can grab the belt and it kind of falls over if I'm holding it out. My other belts are more stiff and would not fall when being held.

The hardness of my holsters is okay. They are good and stiff. I would like my belts to be softer and more flexible.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 08:59:02 AM »
Time and conditioner.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 361
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
They may mean they are using skirting leather which means they are not staining it and are probably oiling it which will leave items more supple than regular carving leather that has been dyed with commercial dyes because they tend to leave leather stiff and dryer feeling. You might try using some conditioner such as lexol if you want to give them a little more soft feeling and make your belts more pliable.

I seldom ever use commercial dyes anymore, I either use homemade walnut stain or saddle skirting leather in its available colors and lightly oil and finish upon completion.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »
They may mean they are using skirting leather which means they are not staining it and are probably oiling it which will leave items more supple than regular carving leather that has been dyed with commercial dyes because they tend to leave leather stiff and dryer feeling. You might try using some conditioner such as lexol if you want to give them a little more soft feeling and make your belts more pliable.

I seldom ever use commercial dyes anymore, I either use homemade walnut stain or saddle skirting leather in its available colors and lightly oil and finish upon completion.

Thanks very much. I will look into those.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 09:29:41 AM »
I posted this recently but in case you haven't seen it, here's our thread on making your own dyes. https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,11991.0.html

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 10:52:34 AM »
I posted this recently but in case you haven't seen it, here's our thread on making your own dyes. https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,11991.0.html

Thank you. I saved the link and will give it a shot at some point.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com