Author Topic: Just an observation per uniform reference  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just an observation per uniform reference
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »
I notice in the reference or stickeys above. You have a couple decent reference sections for the 1880's brown duck fatigues. As well as a sourced amount of reference for Spanish American War uniforms. Just surprised there isn't a similar reference regarding the blue suit and the different variations from the end of the CW (1866-1872ish), then 1873 - 1884-5, followed by the 1880's thru  the Span Am period. Yes the Rutledge-McChristian-Langellier books cover this.

For some that have good complete kits. This would be helpful. In addition to maybe enticing some CW reenactors to step out of their comfort zone and come shoot. It might give some CAS shooters a bit of incentive to look at military impressions? Blending some military and civilian clothing could make for some interesting field or scout impressions. I'm bored, tired of being cooped up and just thought this might get some information flowing.

Side note: There is a good source reference for vendors in the GAF Regs section.

"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Just an observation per uniform reference
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:13:09 PM »
Jerry (Pitspitr) had a rather spectacular tutorial on the outfit of the early 1870s infantryman, complete with all kit.  Should be somewhere on here.

When we first started doing this some 20+ years ago,  the early post civil war 1870a was considered "easy" as most uniforms and accoutrements could be obtained thru the many ACW suttler outfits at the time.   The 1880s and 1890s were much harder to outfit.  It's both gratifying and a little scary to see how this has changed. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »
From Kansas GAF Muster.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:14:18 AM »

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 04:02:57 PM »
Jerry (Pitspitr) had a rather spectacular tutorial on the outfit of the early 1870s infantryman, complete with all kit.  Should be somewhere on here.

When we first started doing this some 20+ years ago,  the early post civil war 1870a was considered "easy" as most uniforms and accoutrements could be obtained thru the many ACW suttler outfits at the time.   The 1880s and 1890s were much harder to outfit.  It's both gratifying and a little scary to see how this has changed.

I agree, using CW clothing. One could easily put together an 1866 up through the mid 70's impression. I sold all my good CW gear 10-12 years ago or I probably wouldn't bring this up. When I decided to go CAS shooting. I had next to no clothes. I still have a fancy black
civilian sack suit leftover from my CW days. That was it. I searched the web and opted to call S&S Firearms. Got a 74 blouse and a pair of 80's trousers, the ones with the back pocket. Yeah I know it's probably Paki or Indian stuff. The price was right and I could have it in a couple days. In time for the shoot. I'm past worrying about having the best stuff available. Being on a fixed income now and only using the stuff a handful of times a year.

"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:06:13 PM »
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=61825.msg733414#msg733414

Civil War has always been the easiest to find good uniforms and accoutrements as long as I've been interested in living history.  I missed the peak popularity of The Indian War and Span Am periods. WWI seems to be a lot easier now.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:08:38 PM »
I have always found it interesting that there are essentially reenactors for every war from the Trojan War to present.  The internet pretty much made a lot of it easier, and the accompanying shopping.   Depending on which forum I am on, I have to be ready to discuss defense against Commanche or construction of a boars tusk helmet.   Man life is good.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 07:35:54 AM »
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=61825.msg733414#msg733414

Civil War has always been the easiest to find good uniforms and accoutrements as long as I've been interested in living history.  I missed the peak popularity of The Indian War and Span Am periods. WWI seems to be a lot easier now.

....that thread you posted is exactly what I was referring to. I agree for many of us finding information and CW clothing and gear isn't a great challenge. Just thinking, this along with then vendors list in the GAF Regulations would give someone that stumbles across this an avenue to find clothing and accoutrements. 
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 06:58:18 AM »
....that thread you posted is exactly what I was referring to. I agree for many of us finding information and CW clothing and gear isn't a great challenge. Just thinking, this along with then vendors list in the GAF Regulations would give someone that stumbles across this an avenue to find clothing and accoutrements.
Good thinking. I'll sticky that link in the regulations board
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked: