Author Topic: SAA Old Model or Pre-War ?? What to do ...  (Read 10746 times)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: SAA Old Model or Pre-War ?? What to do ...
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
Been going down that road for a long time in this country. Damn zero radius lawnmower's got so many interlocks it won't hardly start. Gotta make '??' fool proof or else the fool that buys it hurts himself using it incorrectly and sues the maker for a defective product. Maybe a defective operator would be more correct.

Yeah - here too - we bought a Huskvarna mower - got a recall on the Hydrostatic transmission - whats the problem ? No problem - some fool in the USA tipped hisself A over T down a steep bank then sued em cuz the transmission shoulda stopped it - we never did the recall - son has the mower its all good - we bought a bigger one second hand two years back - slow as a wet week in reverse - call my mate at the dealers whats wrong with this thing ? Ahh some fool backed over his kid in the yard and sued em so they shut the reverse down to creeper speed - cutoff switch under the seat is an easy fix - other stuff we put up with .
Rebounding firing pin in my Browning model 71 x 348 failed at about 200 rounds --- for a plinker at a CAS match this is a PITA - out in the sticks with a charging Grizzly ??? whole nuther deal - call the undertaker please. !

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2022, 05:15:30 PM »
" I'm going to order a Cimarron 7th Cavalry model and contacted Cimarron this afternoon and was advised that this model does Not
have the retractable firing pin. "

They are available right now at most local Sportsmans Warehouse stores. You can check availability online by putting in the online cart.
Youtube has lots of videos on the Cimarron 7th Cavalry.
I just bought a 7th Cavalry (Custer) Cimarron and they still do not have the new type firing pin. It is still the traditional firing pin that folks here seem to all prefer.
By the way Cimarron makes a Custer model by Pietta  PP514M00 and a Custer model by Uberti  CA514M00. The one I bought at Sportsman is the Uberti made model and as far as I remember Sportsmans Warehouse has only ever carried the Uberti made 7th Cavalry model.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 07:25:01 AM »
Uberti does sell a conversion kit with conventional hammer and trigger.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:26:10 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2022, 11:32:24 AM »
Does anyone other than me have a problem with a manufacturer stopping production of a particular model, that people want, and only making a model people don't want?

And how is it that Colt (when they occasionally make a SAA) have fixed firing pins, and Standard Manufacturing's single actions have fixed firing pins.  Those two companies don't seem to be cowering behind their lawyer's desks in fear.

I sure don't understand the gun making business...any more than I understand anything else going on these days.

Dave

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 11:08:43 AM »
 :)  Dave T  ;)

Can't disagree at all.  Nope.  No way.  Colt (when they make ONE), Standard (When they make a couple) and Pietta all serve up fix'd Firing Pins with no qualms.  Pietta has offered a Transfer Bar gun for those who just absolutely and completely have to be able to carry with 6 up.  I doesn't sell particularly well even though it's a well built gun.

Uberti??  I simply can't figure them out.  Their two position Base Pin was  completely functional and simple.  Was/Is also really easy to make Coltish if desired as well as eliminate our sweethearts going to the line and getting click, click. click . . . . . . .  The new "retractable" Firing Pin is dumber than a box of rocks.  Why Uberti did it, I don't know.  Cowering behind their lawyers??  Probably.  Maybe.  Just to give their engineers something to do??  Still, really really STUPID.

Play Safe Out There.  Don't need no retractable Firing Pin to be Safe neither.

PS:  Would that I had a Time Machine, go back and throttle the ham hock that coined the term "CLONE" for SAs.  Horrible individual.  STUPID too.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 09:57:26 PM »
I don't know if it was a factor, but Uberti faced at least one lawsuit claiming an unsafe design for the fixed firing pin. As I recall, the owner loaded 6 rounds in the revolver, wrapped it in a rag and put it under the seat of the car. When another person needed a rag, they pulled it out from under the seat. That caused the gun to fall on the hammer, discharging it and entering a child if I'm recalling it correctly. The plaintiffs cited Ruger pistols as being safer and proving that the original design was outdated and unsafe. Again, I don't know if that's what prompted Uberti's new design.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 10:17:04 PM »
Yes, there have been lawsuits by stupid people, and yes Uberti is going to save a lot of money on their liability insurance.  At least we have options.  Taylors is currently out of the old style hammer/triggers, but their price is only half of VTI.  I truly do not know how they did it.  Maybe it was part of a negotiation with uberti, who knows.  But I bought two sets just to have in case I need them! 

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2022, 05:53:20 AM »
Joining this conversation after it's been going awhile, but...

Just three months ago I bought a brand new Cimarron model P BP frame in 45 Colt. I can confirm it is a 4 click, standard firing pin gun. No lawyer induced safety horse hockey involved. The gun is very well finished in grip, color and everything else that they can be. Unfired as of yet, just awaiting finding it a twin match.

Was this new-old stock? I doubt it. This dealer gets stuff delivered (quite a few Italian single actions) and immediately puts them out.

I'd been looking for this model for sometime. Dealer made me a trade I couldn't resist.  ;)

I'm normally a Ruger guy but this Cimarron really makes me want more Cimarrons.  ;D

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
Cowtown,

I believe all Cimarron/Uberti BP frames are still 4 click and the standard firing pins and all the newer frame push button cylinder pin models are the new retractable firing pin.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2022, 03:48:04 PM »
Cowtown,

I believe all Cimarron/Uberti BP frames are still 4 click and the standard firing pins and all the newer frame push button cylinder pin models are the new retractable firing pin.

Except for the Evil Roy competition Model P's, those are the pre-war frame but are still 4-click.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com