Author Topic: marietta 1862 Colt's Police  (Read 6087 times)

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
marietta 1862 Colt's Police
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »
Anyone know who made these and when? I have seen on other forums that they were made by  Uberti
A local gun shop has a pair priced at $350 with one box. Would this be a good price? Does anyone make a conversion cylinder for these?

Thanks
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: marietta 1862 Colt's Police
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
No one makes a conversion for the '62 Police and Navy models.  Replica Arms of Marietta, GA was the importer of these pistols.  They were made by Uberti.  Replica Arms was bought out by Navy Arms.  There should be a Roman Numeral on the right side of the frame that will be the date code for when the pistols were made.  In good shape, $350 is a good price for them.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 06:20:21 AM »
No one makes a conversion for the '62 Police and Navy models.  Replica Arms of Marietta, GA was the importer of these pistols.  They were made by Uberti.  Replica Arms was bought out by Navy Arms.  There should be a Roman Numeral on the right side of the frame that will be the date code for when the pistols were made.  In good shape, $350 is a good price for them.

Thanks for the information.
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:20:11 AM »

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »

Not quite, Replica Arms was located in Marietta, OHIO, I used to go there when I was younger, before they were closed by Navy Arms.

Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
Little difference, probably was fokes from Mariatte, Ohio that actually named it Marietta, Ga anyway.  When we were growing up we always referred to Atlanta as the occupied capitol of GA.  :o 

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »
Little difference, probably was fokes from Mariatte, Ohio that actually named it Marietta, Ga anyway.  When we were growing up we always referred to Atlanta as the occupied capitol of GA.  :o  

Bob, As I recall, down there it is called Mayretta.  Up here it is Maryetta.  Been to and enjoyed both.  

You been to the Big Chicken?

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »
I was actually very intimidated by the size of Charleston when I first moved here, still tend to avoid the city, and probably spent less time around Atlanta area, in all my years, than most tourists would.  I have been to Six Flags but didnt stay at a Holiday Inn!

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »
I was just testing you guys  ::).  I knew it was Marietta Ohio all the time.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »

I would like to thank J. W. McCandles for bringing these to my attention.  When he decided to pass onthem, I was able to acquire them.

They date to 1973 and are 24 numbers apart.  They also have the heaviest mainsprings I have encountered on C&B revolvers.  Cocking the hammer is an effort with these little pistols!  I have later Pocket Police revolvers from Uberti, springs are lighter and some other minor differences. 

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:40 AM »
Going over these revolvers has been interesting.  Uberti must have had two assembly lines going, or at least two different people working the stamps.  You can see int he photo, the top of the barrels are stamped differently.  And they also have different stampings on the rest of the revolver.  Only 24 numbers apart yet the markings are different.  I have Ubertis that span the decades from the 60s through the new century.  It is interesting to see how the COmpanies touch mark has changed and how the location and placement of all the markings is varied.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com