Author Topic: My Uberti Wood  (Read 4096 times)

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: My Uberti Wood
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 09:14:35 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I will say I have a tad bit of fear entering the process of refinishing. I’ll give the article a read to reference and also your past post Griff. Thank you.
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2022, 07:52:04 AM »
So I’m working on my stock and have it pretty well stripped with Citristrip. The stuff works well I might add. My question is how to get the rest of the stain off without having to sand? I really don’t want to have to apply any sandpaper to the stock or fore end if I can help it? Would mineral spirits with 00 and 0000 steel wool do the trick over time? Thanks

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »
Good job taking the risk. If you're like me, you were pretty nervous getting started...

When I got to the stage where you are now, I just kept using more Citristrip. I left it on the wood to do its work and kept scraping until I got all of the finish off. I ended up having to use a metal putty knife in places. I really wanted to avoid sanding because it would potentially change the geometry of the stock. Eventually it all came off, although on one of my stocks there is a tiny spot that I just couldn't get off. Ultimately it isn't noticeable, though.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:34:32 AM »

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 09:38:58 PM »
After a couple more applications of Citristrip and minerals spirits with 0000 steel wool I believe I have it completely down to bare European walnut. I’m here in Missouri so I think I’ll wait until next weekend when the weather warms up to stain a walnut brown. I might fiddle with the right shade of walnut with the right amount of water. I’ll try and match my Miroku 73’s wood if I can. I’m trying to be the coolest doctor on the block and have lots of patience with this entire process. I want to do it right. So far I’m happy with the results up to this point. Again, thanks for the pointers and tips with the articles and such shared.  ;D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 11:03:54 PM »
Here is the first stock I did.  It was a cracked stock I saved from the trash bin to practice on.  I used MinWax Special Walnut (I think?) stain on this one, followed by many applications of Formby's low gloss tung oil.  On subsequent refinishes, I used MinWax Dark Walnut stain.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 03:59:29 AM »
Stuck_in_73, it looks like your efforts are paying off.  That wood actually looks pretty nice. You're taking it slowly and being careful, which I believe will yield great results.

Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2022, 01:46:40 PM »
Here is the first stock I did.  It was a cracked stock I saved from the trash bin to practice on.  I used MinWax Special Walnut (I think?) stain on this one, followed by many applications of Formby's low gloss tung oil.  On subsequent refinishes, I used MinWax Dark Walnut stain.

That looks good Abilene. The tiger stripes in that stock look amazing. Too bad it is a cracked stock.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 03:45:14 PM »
I was able to get a coat of stain on the stocks today. I will apply another coat (possibly last) tomorrow. Taking my son to The Batman movie tonight so I wanted to get some stain on before the movies without rushing at all. I used a tack cloth on the bare wood before the stain. I bought a 3lb bag of t-shirt lint free squares on Amazon to apply the stain. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to apply the Birchwood Casey Sealer/Filler to seal the grain. Then I’ll apply Tru-Oil. This will be probably a few weeks process as I’m going to take my time. Just wanted to document my progress and share.  ;D

**I shared an iCloud link for the photos because I seem to have to compromise quality of the photos so they load. I’m hoping this link will show HD quality photos. Let me know if the link doesn’t work. Thanks

https://share.icloud.com/photos/068-FMiHhDMpJuw_EGVmXj-0w

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 06:17:39 PM »
The link works for me using my Android phone.

Thanks for the update! It's a good idea to take it slowly you are more likely to get, as they say, a harmonious outcome. I think that you will be pleased with the results. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when it's finished! Good job!

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 08:32:08 PM »
Quick update: I applied about 5 coats of Pilkington Pre-64 stain. Then applied one coat of Birchwood Casey Sealer/Filler as pictured in the iCloud link. I’m hoping for 2 more coats of sealer to fill the pores and onto the Tru-Oil. I was going to run with the brown walnut water-based stain that came with the Birchwood Casey kit but pulled a quick audible and ordered some Pilkington’s stain off Brownells. It is pretty pricey but the wood took it great and I’m loving the color. I really want that Turnbull color as my other 73’ Miroku is a true walnut color. And this stain gets close. I’ll keep posting my progress in hopes it may help someone else sometime as you guys helped me along. I did a lot of reading and watching refinishing videos before I started to help along and kinda put everything together. But what I’m gathering the biggest influence in refinishing a gunstock is PATIENCE! ::)

PICTURES
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dbbor_SS7srpaL9VrTxG9Eyg

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2022, 10:06:14 PM »
Man that is looking NICE. Keep us posted.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2022, 10:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the update. That's looking really good! A bit of time and money investment is certainly paying off.

Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2022, 10:52:36 PM »
Looking Good!

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2022, 06:58:02 PM »
So big hiccup in the refinishing process. I applied the 2nd coat of Birchwood Casey sealer and filler and I guess it’s stripping off the Pilkington’s spirit stain. It’s leaving streaks and lightening it up a lot. So I have to punt. I’m stripping the wood again and back to square one. Does anyone know what I can apply to this stain for a finish that won’t pull it out? I found a review after the fact on Midway USA on the Pilkington’s English Red Spirit stain that the Birchwood Casey sealer and filler did the same thing to his wood. Also he tried skipping the sealer and went to tru-oil and same results. Im at a loss. I was wanting a high gloss finish that’s why I wanted to resort to Tru-Oil but it doesn’t do well with the Pilkington’s I guess. I seen there is Kay’s Pre 64 Winchester Linseed oil but that will more than likely give a satin finish. Which I’m not opposed too.  :(

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2022, 11:11:20 PM »
I'm not familiar with Pilkington’s spirit stain having never used it...
I have used True Oil and boiled Linseed oil on stocks.

However, now I use and prefer Skidmore's https://skidmores.com/product-category/wood/

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com