Author Topic: What does this weekend mean to you?  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What does this weekend mean to you?
« on: May 24, 2008, 06:25:59 PM »
Maybe this should be on the millitary board, but you all are the ones I know best around here.

My Great Uncle Joe was a B-17 tailgunner over North Africa and Europe.  I carry his dog tags in my pocket every day.  His brother Nick was a tank driver in the same campaign.  He had a Brownie camera and took some pictures that my grandmother still has.  First tank into Berlin and several other places.  I learned so much from those men and owe them so much.  I could go on and on here about other family members, but those two stand out the most to me right now.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY JOE AND NICK

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: What does this weekend mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 06:55:46 PM »
My Dad was in N. Africa as well, and then Sicily and Italy. He never talked about it around me, but Mom said he had night mares alot.
 We pause to think about and honor the men and women that made the big sacrifice for this country, and to honor and thank those veterans that are still among us and currently serving. we owe them a debt that we'll never be able to repay..................Buck 8) :'( :-[
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
my first memories of Memorial Day was a Great Uncle, Grandma's Brother,  he had been in France in WWI, Infantry,  we'd go up town and go the annual parade,  he'd tell me what we were doing there and why.  "Spud" (Uncle's nickname)  would always bring his flag and campaign hat.  His was the first Military Funeral I attended, he's buired in the National Cemetary in Ft. Gibson, Oklahoma.
When I was in the National Guard, I was a part of the Flag and Rifle detail every year, I lived close by and Farmed, so I was available most any time.  We'd usuallly make at least 2 parades each year.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:31:09 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
Well said. Buck.

I put this in another forum a couple days ago. I may have put it here last year. Don’t remember.

From the opening ceremony in Charlotte last Memorial Day. It choked me up when the bugler hit Taps.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MYJM_nwQBik
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 08:12:24 PM »
I think I could still rustle up a decent rendition of TAPS if I had to, Arcey. Used to do it a lot when I was in school. Last time was for a church ceremony in the late '80's, IIRC...................Buck 8) ::) ;)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »
We had a guy that did the Police Officers’ Memorial. Sounded like somethin’ off F-Troop. They wanted a sworn officer ‘n we didn’t have anyone else… 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
ould probably have to play for a week or two before to get the lip going again. Muscle memory and stamina only come from practice. Kind of a " use it, or lose it" deal.....................Buck 8) ::)

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
Last year for my Father in Law's funeral they had a group come in from the Reserves, nowadays you normally here Taps played on tape because of the lack of buglers.  This group had an actual bugler with them, wasn't a dry eye in the house.

My Father was in the Navy and my Father in Law was a Navy aviator, both were in during WWII, but neither would talk much about it.  The most I got out of wither was, "We did what we had to do."
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »
My dad was in the National Guard. My brother and uncle were in the Army. I take the kids to the Pine River Cemetery on Memorial Day to visit the graves of veterans.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »
Being free and living in a country where you can speak your opinion and not be afraid.  My Dad was in the Army Air Corps in WWII. He served in North Africa, Italy, Sicily, and Corscia. I was in the Amy from 66 to 72.  Memorial Day is special to me because of all the years I watched the Indy 500 with my Dad and the Veterans parades.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »
More and more every year.

My uncle was a radio operator on C-47s in the Pacific in WWII.  Cool guy.

Neighbor across the street flew B-17s in Europe.  One day he pulled out pictures he'd taken from missions to show us kids when we were taking a break from playing Army.  Another neighbor in the 50s knew we liked to play Army and stuff; one day he just gave me his dog tags.  As these folks aged, they'd talk more and more about their old friends.  You could practically time when the names of those that didn't come back would get spoken.

There was a day when everybody flew the flag.  Now I can count on one hand those that do on my street.  I don't get it.

This year as I was wishing people a pleasant weekend, I admonished them to spend $20 and buy a flag.  One of the responses I got was “We fly my brother’s flag.  Thanks for reminding others.”  She told me her brother was killed in Viet Nam.  Sure am glad I wasn’t talking about grilling and partying in front of her…

I'll be thinking about one more person Monday.  My sincerest thanks to all those that have served, but on this weekend, especially to those that didn't return.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »
Hope this works...I'll put the print version and the reply in the poetry thread.

http://www.bozcaada.info/gelincik/Flanders.asf
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 03:58:50 PM »
In November, I was given my grandfather's WWII leggings. His was a Marine.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com