CAS TOPICS > The Leather Shop

1880s Winchester Sling

(1/4) > >>

Little Dalton:
I know there are some fellows in here that are just as fanatical as I am about authenticity, and there's a lot more knowledge than my piddlin' amount- so here's my project: I need to make a sling that would be correct for the rare swivel-equipped early 3rd model 1873 Winchester ca. 1880-85. Anyone have some research on the slings Winchester themselves supplied on special orders? As to swivels, I'm going with the non-fishhook style, which seems to be somewhat more common in that period than the fishhook and eye style. I'd love to get the sling's buckle, color, weight, finish, length etc details as close as I can get them.

Marshal Will Wingam:
Here's a link to a SASS Wire thread on an 1866 sling. I'd think that would be a fine one to use on an 1873.

Little Dalton:

--- Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on January 09, 2023, 02:06:14 PM ---Here's a link to a SASS Wire thread on an 1866 sling. I'd think that would be a fine one to use on an 1873.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Marshal! I only saw the Henry slings in that thread- which I agree would be a nice sling, but I would love to see if I can find out just what sling would leave the Winchester factory on a swivel-equipped 1873. I saw in some WACA forum threads (wish I had saved them!) some info on a model of sling Winchester sold for nearly 100 years- early 1890s to mid 1980s. This sling might just be pretty well the same as one from a decade earlier- but I don't know. I believe it had a strange steel double roller buckle, and it is interesting that this 1883 made rifle has a sling just like that. Who knows if it actually dates to when the rifle was made- I'm sure the chances are it is much later. Interesting to speculate though:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/2013/engraved-winchester-model-1873-lever-action-rifle

Advertising:

Marshal Will Wingam:
If you find out any more on what design came on one from the factory, please post about it back here. Although anything from the era would do, there probably would be only one design that was straight from the factory.

Little Dalton:

--- Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on January 10, 2023, 11:10:53 PM ---If you find out any more on what design came on one from the factory, please post about it back here. Although anything from the era would do, there probably would be only one design that was straight from the factory.

--- End quote ---

I will definitely post progress and findings!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version