Author Topic: Sights and Brass  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Thorbrandr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sights and Brass
« on: July 29, 2022, 12:51:48 PM »
Greetings!

I recently scored a great deal on a new Uberti 1876, including 3 boxes of BACO 50-95 ammo. Shop owner showed me the rifle...which is a very nicely done new Uberti, and I said "But do you have the ammo?".  He thunked a box on the counter and said it comes with that and two more boxes.  Out the door it went....

I am putting a Kelley sight on the rear, after reading through the threads on sights, and was thinking of putting a MVA Beech/Lyman flip style on the front. I haven't seen much on that sight. Any issues or concerns with the Beech/Lyman style?

Also, brass...is it really worth the effort to get the Bertram?  Went out to Ammunition Artifacts and picked up some of thier 50 Alaska conversion for "Repros" to try. Looks decent, drops into the Uberti chamber, but the case is definitely smaller than the BACO JBA brass.  Does anyone know what the cases dimensions are that Uberti designed to?  The ammunition artifacts ammo made from the Magtech brass for originals are slightly larger than JBA at the base, and will not easily chamber.

Thanks
Chris

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Re: Sights and Brass
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 04:37:12 PM »
I'm sure that answers to your questions will be coming along, but in the meantime, congratulations! These are really fine rifles!

We'd love to see pictures, too! Keep in mind that pictures have to be sized smaller than 400kb.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
Greetings!

I recently scored a great deal on a new Uberti 1876, including 3 boxes of BACO 50-95 ammo. Shop owner showed me the rifle...which is a very nicely done new Uberti, and I said "But do you have the ammo?".  He thunked a box on the counter and said it comes with that and two more boxes.  Out the door it went....

I am putting a Kelley sight on the rear, after reading through the threads on sights, and was thinking of putting a MVA Beech/Lyman flip style on the front. I haven't seen much on that sight. Any issues or concerns with the Beech/Lyman style?

Also, brass...is it really worth the effort to get the Bertram?  Went out to Ammunition Artifacts and picked up some of thier 50 Alaska conversion for "Repros" to try. Looks decent, drops into the Uberti chamber, but the case is definitely smaller than the BACO JBA brass.  Does anyone know what the cases dimensions are that Uberti designed to?  The ammunition artifacts ammo made from the Magtech brass for originals are slightly larger than JBA at the base, and will not easily chamber.

Thanks
Chris

Brass .?..... i made brass for my 45/75 from 348 winchester, was initially dissappointed because the commercial 348 W brass runs around 10 thou" smaller than the case spec drawing for the 45/75 - fire formed cases come out distinctly coke bottle looking (expansion in front of the solid head /casewall junction) - I got used to the look and to counter that the case necks are much thicker only have a bout a half thou" or less clearance up front so they are kept centered by the neat neck to chamber - this brass is tough stuff and the rifle shoots good so whining about the look of loaded rounds is kinda pointless - in your case I would go for the alaskan as a base case I believe. have fun with it!!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:40:10 PM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
Why are there no pictures of the rifle from the new guy???  ;) ;D

Welcome, Chris!
King Medallion

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 11:43:53 AM »
 Now boy's, you know the o'l saying, if you'v seen 1, 76, you want to see them "ALL", the picture patrol has spoken!!!!!

hav'n coffee & waiting.  Hootmix. ;D

Offline Thorbrandr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 01:44:24 PM »
Now boy's, you know the o'l saying, if you'v seen 1, 76, you want to see them "ALL", the picture patrol has spoken!!!!!

hav'n coffee & waiting.  Hootmix. ;D

Was waiting til I got the rear sight on, but UPS seems to having issues with signature required deliveries here.....

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 04:45:31 PM »
A signature for sights???
King Medallion

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 10:39:30 AM »
First off--I got my ''76 about 10 or so years ago and at the time the store owner said that getting brass was like getting hens' teeth so up on his suggestion, I loaded up with several boxes of 348 brass.  Now, after fire forming those cases and observing thqt 'coke bottle shape I said to myself--"self get used to it".  I did write a letter to RCBS and they sent me a drawing of the correct demensions for the Uberti chamber and after several firings that"coke bottle" shape has all but gone away.  Then I got a whole gob(bunch) of 50AK brass.  I formed these and on my lathe turned the heads so that they would chamber nicely.  Now I am ready to get downright silly and do some shooting.  No, The case heads don't say "50AK or 50 Sharps but they chamber like they should.  Now, I am about run out of jabber and hope that someone will glean some info out of what I said.

Offline Thorbrandr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 08:31:24 PM »
First off--I got my ''76 about 10 or so years ago and at the time the store owner said that getting brass was like getting hens' teeth so up on his suggestion, I loaded up with several boxes of 348 brass.  Now, after fire forming those cases and observing thqt 'coke bottle shape I said to myself--"self get used to it".  I did write a letter to RCBS and they sent me a drawing of the correct demensions for the Uberti chamber and after several firings that"coke bottle" shape has all but gone away.  Then I got a whole gob(bunch) of 50AK brass.  I formed these and on my lathe turned the heads so that they would chamber nicely.  Now I am ready to get downright silly and do some shooting.  No, The case heads don't say "50AK or 50 Sharps but they chamber like they should.  Now, I am about run out of jabber and hope that someone will glean some info out of what I said.

The 50AK based brass seems a bit loose at the case head.  The stuff made from 28ga Magtech would not chamber as received, but after running into a CH4D sizing die, chambered fine.  However, the rim is a bit big, and it takes a bit to pop the extractor over it.

Chris

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 04:43:44 AM »
The 50AK based brass seems a bit loose at the case head.

the stuff I made from 348 brass is same, fire formed out it measures .555 at the body and .544 at the solid head right in front of the rim. I dont resize - made a little body die that pulls it back just a couple of thou - using that after about 6 reloads

The stuff made from 28ga Magtech would not chamber as received, but after running into a CH4D sizing die, chambered fine.  However, the rim is a bit big, and it takes a bit to pop the extractor over it.

Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com