Author Topic: Uberti SRC .45-60  (Read 1039 times)

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Uberti SRC .45-60
« on: April 30, 2022, 02:04:20 PM »
I bought a lightly used Crossfire Trail SRC in .45-60 awhile back.  It came with 30 rounds loaded with black powder and a cast bullet that looked like the original bullet profile.  The action and trigger were both super stiff and so using some advice I found on old posts here I worked it over some and it is much slicker with a better trigger now. 

First trip to the range I fired off 20 of the loaded rounds and it shot surprisingly well considering the sights giving about a 4" group at 100 yards although the point of impact was quite high.  I saved a few of the rounds for the next trip with my chronograph.

I bought an Accurate Mold to cast some bullets but also have some 315 grain, gas checked ones (RCBS?) on hand as well and the crimp groove seems to be in about the correct place.

I tried to get a Lee FCD for .45-60 but due to demand and backorders they advise there are no special orders at this time.  I have a .45-70 FCD and that is the reason for this post.  Do I only need to shorten the bottom of the .45-70 FCD sufficiently to get to to crimp the .45-60 or is there something else I need to do?  I've searched the forum and don't see any explanation of the shortening process.

Appreciate any advise that you can share so I can get the SRC back out to the range with both H4198 and black powder loads.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: Uberti SRC .45-60
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 02:25:38 PM »
What's wrong with the crimp in your seating die?
King Medallion

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 03:09:02 PM »
Years ago I came up with the idea of putting a thick enough washer under the seat die when I screw it into the press to move the crimp shoulder away from the shell.  I then adjust the stem to seat the bullets to the correct depth.  Once they're all seated I unscrew the die, remove the washer, screw the die back in with the seating stem backed out of the way.  Crimp the bullets as a separate step and your set to go.  Been doing this for years now with both pistol rounds and rifle rounds.

YMMV,
Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:43 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 06:29:43 PM »
Most of my die sets have a Lee FCD, but sometimes I buy a separate seat/crimp die, as I too prefer to crimp in a separate step. Sometimes I get a whole set just to get the crimp die, if I can get it cheap enough.
King Medallion

Offline QueensHorseman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 10:24:47 PM »
What's wrong with the crimp in your seating die?

There is nothing wrong with the standard seater die however I prefer the FCD and the .45-70 one is a bit too long to crimp the shorter .45-60 case.   When searching the forum I've read of people shortening the .45-70 FCD and I was hoping for someone with experience to share what they did.

Offline ATCDoktor

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 10:43:43 PM »
What I did was take a Lee bullet seating die to a local machine shop and hat it shortened by .22 inches and radiused inside and out.

Cost me $40.00

I don’t have the overall length of the die before it was shortened but it’s length as trimmed now is 2.685 inches:

It’s till good for 45/70, Hornady “short” 45/70 and 45/60.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com