Author Topic: Shooting Johnson and Dow conicals in my 1858 NMA Pietta  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shooting Johnson and Dow conicals in my 1858 NMA Pietta
« on: February 06, 2021, 09:34:53 AM »
I recently picked up a J & D conical mold and have found out, to my surprise, that I cannot seat the conicals in the cylinders. I use a hand press after removing the cylinder from the gun and even with that leverage, it is not seating. Soft lead and just bare bullet over powder so I assume some modification needs to be made (reaming possibly?) or maybe the Pietta just needs to be fed round ball??   I would really like to shoot conical paper cartridges !!
Anyone had this experience?

Thanks
Cannonman1

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Shooting Johnson and Dow conicals in my 1858 NMA Pietta
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 09:52:16 AM »

If you are using pure lead it sounds like the diameter of the conical is too big for the cylinder.

Lucky
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »
I should mention that the press is really designed for round ball and it deforms the nose severely.. I need to find one that is made for conical bullets. Base of bullet drops right into cylinder. I wonder if I am expanding the bullet due to the round ball designed press and making it expand rather than pushing it??  I am looking at the Powder Inc loadsr.. Anyone have experience with these.??. My current one is too light weight I believe.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:09:01 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
A pic would help me understand it better. I suspect the bullet is tall/long and the subsequent driving band(s) is/are too large in diameter so the ramming force deforms/mushrooms the bullet. I don't mind if the ramming plunger is cupped because it still makes the bullet a round nose rather than so pointy. Pointyness just takes up powder space.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
Driving band is .460 with the diameter at the base of the olgive at .451..  I think the main issue is that the loading press i have is not designed for a conical. It contacts the conical at a slight angle and driving pressure is not straight down into the chamber. I will try the powderinc model and I bet that solves it.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 08:46:10 PM »
I got a look at the bullets on their website and I think the off angle for ramming is the culprit. The pointy tip probably makes tipping even worse rather than keeping the bullet centered.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 08:52:46 AM »

:)  Cannonman   ;)

I would also like to jump in here.  So I will.  The Conicals you are trying to load are "Over Large" for application in Pietta Cap Guns.  Pietta Cap Gun cylinders will, and are suppose to shave lead from a 451 Round Ball.  Your stated diameter for the driving bad is WAY OVER size.  Also the diameter at the base of the ogive will/should be shaving lead.

You have two choices, either of which are recommended.  #1 - Ream the chambers.  Then your stuck with Over-Size balls as well.  #2 - Bevel the chamber mouth.  this will "start" the projectile and the chamber will swage it down.  The bevel will produce a bunch of unanticipated fouling of the arbor.  (Don't ask how I know this fact).  The Projectile, swaged into the chamber will be mostly "stuck."  Chamber pressure will go through the roof.  Perhaps literally. 

Were these conicals actually intended for Ruger Old Army perhaps??

Stay Safe Out There 

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
Check on You Tube and search for either the Johnson and Drow or for using/firing conicals in Remingtons. I believe either Dustin Winnager(?) or Bottom Dealin' Mike (Duelist1954)? have a video about the plungers and either modifying or swapping with one that works. Good luck.

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »
I have mostly Pietta's but I do have on old LYMAN NMA and lo and behold it has a little bigger chamber size.. It fits that conical like a dream!! ... So that will be my conical shooting iron and I will load round ball in the Pietta's..  Thanks for all the insight into this. Always learn something when on these forums and this is no exception.. Much obliged Gents

Cannonman1

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:45:36 PM »
 What kind of lead are you using?  These molds are cut for pure lead, which will shrink considerable as it cools.  Harder lead alloys shrink less.  Anything with antimoney will hardly shrink at all. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 06:08:21 PM »
Hi guys, It's been awhile since I was here.  I also have the Johnson & Dow mold for .44 Conicals.  I realized that the rammer on the Remington isn't made for conicals.  So I went on You-Tube and plugged into Mike Belleview's channel Duelist1954 and found is video on modifying the ram to handle conicals.  It's relatively simple and plan to modify mine some time next month.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »
Many of the CapN'Ball revolver rammers are set up for round ball and not conical.  Gary Barnes (Hoofhearted) modified mine when I had him doing some other work on my Pietta 51s so I could use conicals without mashing the tip.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 10:03:24 AM »
Here is a Youtube directly bearing on this issue by Mark Hubbs of Eras Gone Bullet Molds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com