Author Topic: Traditional Front Sight  (Read 4745 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 899
Traditional Front Sight
« on: August 14, 2020, 01:00:22 PM »
I just purchased a Winchester/Miroku 24" rifle. It comes with a skinny brass bead front sight which I want to replace for several reasons. Don't like the appearance or the sight picture.

Anyway, does anyone know of a source for a more traditional blade front sight that would fit in the Japanese dove tail on this rifle? It's no doubt some metric measurement I never heard of. (lol)

Dave

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Traditional Front Sight
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:39:56 PM »
Sure do wish someone could give me a line on a better front sight for this gun. I tried some dry firing today and the closest I got to seeing the front sight would be to call it the fuzzy thing between the buck horns. No way am I ever gonna see that little brass bead through the notch. I can barely see the notch or the bead. (lol)

Dave

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »
Dave T,

Marbles has them with a larger bead but they are of the same style currently on the Miroku Winchester. In fact the one on the rifle is probably a Marbles as I believe it is the standard 3/8 dovetail. You could get the larger bead and perhaps shape it to look a bit more like the original ones.

I will continue to search to see if I run across something.

I like the little bead, but then again I can see it. It doesn't cover and hide the target.

Just a thought, could you get one for a Uberti rifle from VTI and make it fit the Miroku dovetail. Just askin'.

Check out this site: http://www.pioneergunworks.com/winchester-rifle-parts/

A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:41:51 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 02:45:32 PM »
I prefer the original Winchester front sights with a silver blade set into the base. I am 70+ and can pick the silver up nicely. There are several different blade types  but found a Rocky Mountain type on Homestead parts website to copy.  Also usually see various blade types on other sites and EBay.

Offline Little Dalton

• Top Active Citizen
  • -ad regem-
    • Axe & Anvil
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:40:33 AM »
I have seen others use Uberti front sights.
Jordan Goodwin, Blacksmith

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:40:19 PM »
Thanks guys. I found (finally) a copy of the original German Silver blade sight at Buffalo Arms. Hope I can sere it as well as treebeard. (smile)

Dave

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 01:14:22 AM »
Hi Dave, thanks for the heads up, I have one on the way.  I shoot bullseye pistol and am not a fan of the buckhorn sights and the bead.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 12:27:46 PM »
Hi

Since it's after Xmas and all, I have time to put the new sight on.  It's in two pieces and the silver part is thicker than the slot by quite a bit.  How am I supposed to assemble and install the sights?  Its the copy of the original German Silver blade sight at Buffalo Arms.

Thanks
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
1961MJS,

I've been wondering the same thing and haven't tried installing the blade sight yet until I figure it out.

Dave

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »
Hi Dave

Treebeard's looks a lot different.  I'll email Buffalo Arms and see what they say.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 06:38:44 AM »
The front site on my Miroku 73 is almost identical to the front site on my original 86.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 09:11:21 AM »
The original 1873 Rifle I used to own had a front sight in which the steel base/dovetail tapered up into an integral blade. And the upper 1/3 or so of that blade was German Silver, apparently cast onto the base. Back then I had an '86 short rifle with the same front sight. I'm pretty sure it was a factory standard, or at least an option.

The skinny blade topped by a brass bead is something from the early 20th Century, possibly a Marbles original design. I know they made it popular but I don't think it was original to the '73.

Dave 

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 07:59:33 PM »
Hi

I emailed Buffalo Arms and they're supposed to come in two pieces.  I guess I'll have to go to a gun smith to put a simple dovetail sight on, or go with the Lyman 47 that I have instead.  I'm not sure which I'll pick yet.  The Marble sight is too big for me, for shooting a rifle at things you're supposed to shoot rifles at.  I mean, I can still hit a pie plate most of the time at 50 yards with a 1911....

Not sure what I'll do yet.

Later

Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 08:00:46 AM »
Mike,

Did BACO offer any insights into how one is supposed to put the blade and base together? It is just a press fit? Pounded in? Silver soldered? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dave

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D

They mentioned a gun smith.  I'll email them again later today.

I may take mine to Steve Baldwin who makes Sharps sights, and rifles to see what he says.  I also asked an NCOWS judge who said that Lyman sights are legal for NCOWS and I may just go that route.  I haven't had the Rossi out to see if the silver sight dovetail will fit for sure, but I'm concerned that the fit might not be right. 

Sorry to be so much help.   :'( :'(

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 07:56:06 AM »
Sure do wish someone could give me a line on a better front sight for this gun. I tried some dry firing today and the closest I got to seeing the front sight would be to call it the fuzzy thing between the buck horns. No way am I ever gonna see that little brass bead through the notch. I can barely see the notch or the bead. (lol)

Dave

If you find the right sight I will buy the original from you. For my eyes it is just right

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 12:12:05 PM »
russ,

I think I have the right front sight. My problem is the blade and base are separate (came that way) and having never done this before, I'm not sure how to insert the blade in the base and be sure it stays. I'm afraid the German Silver blade is too soft to pound into the slot with a hammer/mallet. And it is oversized enough it won't slide in to be epoxied. Once I figure this out I'll send you the front sight if you pay the postage.

Dave

Offline KWK

• Top Active Citizen
    • KWK
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 12:53:49 PM »
Looking at a hi-res image on Winchester's web site of one of their 73, that appears to be a common Marble's barrel mounted sight. Brownell's sells a number of variations, all with a bead. There are two widths, 1/16 and 3/32 as well as a few bead colors and sight heights. These are one piece, so just remove the sight, clamp it in a vise, and file the front face flat to either vertical or slightly sloping away. Blacken the filed face with flat black paint and re-install. You can do the same to the over-hang towards the muzzle, too.
Karl

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »
I'm some surprised no one has mentioned Track of the Wolf , I got my Rocky Mountain front sight there , and it was one ready to install in my Uberti Short Rifle , been in use/place over 12 years

all sort of sizes

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/874/2
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 09:55:19 PM »
Hi

I like the factory sights on my new Uberti.  A blade front with a buckhorn sight that's plain ole black with no adjustments or white diamond.  I've been busy, but I might try an Uberti front sight on the Rossi also.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com