Author Topic: Shipping  (Read 6198 times)

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Shipping
« on: December 26, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
I'm selling my Uberti '73, and have a question about shipping. When I bought the rifle, it came from Cimarron, and the dealer I got it through says it was shipped to him that way, in their white box, and that's all. I thought it seemed kind of unprotected, but the rifle was in fine shape when I got it so I didn't worry about it. Now that I'm needing to ship it across country to a dealer, that same question is coming back to haunt me. Is it normal to ship a rifle (USPS) in the slim white box I got it in, or should I put that box in another, larger box. If others ship their guns that way, I will, too, but it doesn't seem like it has much protection that way. I'll add that the insides are all there to hold the rifle in place, and I've got the gun wrapped in a cellophane fabric inside the box.

Thanks for your opinions.
Caleb

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 188
Re: Shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
Needs another heavier box. The white box that I've gotten with my Uberti rifles is too lightweight to ship in, imho. You need a heavy outer box. It can be on the big side with bubble wrap to fill the voids. The craziest one that I ever got was when I bought a Martini .310 Cadet  rifle (rechambered to .357 mag.) The seller had wrapped the rifle in a horse blanket and put it in the large box. It arrived to my FFL safely but it cost over 50.00 to ship. Bubble wrap is your friend. I still have the horse blanket on my piano bench. The rifles a sweetheart.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
No that slim white Uberti box is packed in a heavier brown box that has Cimarron written on it. I'm shipping one to Cimarron in the morning in the box it came in. All of the ones I've gotten from Cimarron are shipped in the extra box not just the guns original box.

Find or make yourself another box to protect that one.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:51:23 AM »

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:29:02 AM »
mike, check you email as I sent you an email about the shipping the rifle.

Reno

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »
Your dealer has a poor memory.  There has always been an outer box.  They have various size outer boxes depending on how many rifles, but the single rifle outer box fits very tightly around the white box.  The outer box has the Cimarron logo on it, as Cliff mentioned, for the last number of years, but even before that there was always an outer brown box.

I always recommend removing the stock before shipping any long gun.  The tang area is easily cracked if pressure is applied to the center area of the box, even if properly packed.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »
Abiline, that might be okay about removing the stock, but in 35 years of selling and shipping rifles I never removed a stock and no dealer ever sent me a rifle that way. I myself have never heard of any trouble. Also some of the people not good at working with firearms can ruin screws, and stocks and decrease the value of the firearm. I hope Mike does not remove the stock, for if he messes up the stock, or screws  the sale is off, as I am the one who bought his rifle.

Reno

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »
Abiline, that might be okay about removing the stock, but in 35 years of selling and shipping rifles I never removed a stock and no dealer ever sent me a rifle that way. I myself have never heard of any trouble. Also some of the people not good at working with firearms can ruin screws, and stocks and decrease the value of the firearm. I hope Mike does not remove the stock, for if he messes up the stock, or screws  the sale is off, as I am the one who bought his rifle.

Reno

I understand your concerns.  I was basing my statement on having seen many damaged stocks (UPS and FEDEX) shipped to and from Cimarron.  Highwall upper tangs seemed particularly bad about it and '73's as well.  But then those were from a much larger population of shipped guns. 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
 Flambeau Safeshot Econ Single Case Hard Sided case
or Plano SE Series  Hard case ..either are under $24.00  Cheap insurance and will best cardboard hands down....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's shipped and on its way, inside a brown box.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »
CH, shipped the rifle in very good shape, and packed it as good as any I have received. Very good job CH.
Reno

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 08:11:16 PM »
Your dealer has a poor memory.  There has always been an outer box.  They have various size outer boxes depending on how many rifles, but the single rifle outer box fits very tightly around the white box.  The outer box has the Cimarron logo on it, as Cliff mentioned, for the last number of years, but even before that there was always an outer brown box.

I always recommend removing the stock before shipping any long gun.  The tang area is easily cracked if pressure is applied to the center area of the box, even if properly packed.

HI

And my dealer was nice enough to give me the outer box when I picked mine up.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com