Author Topic: Which would you buy????  (Read 2366 times)

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Which would you buy????
« on: February 27, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »
Cimarron/Uberti makes the best reproduction guns in the world...But WHY did they make my favorite revolver 1875 Remington with the late style colt type cylinder pin retaining cross bolt???.,, I know that some folks will say,,"big deal,,they are close enough"..But to me that is like saying The Ruger Blackhawk is close enough to the Colt SAA. Except the action is different ,they have adjustable sights,,grip is different..But "close enough".. Am I  the only one that feels this way?..So here is the question..
If Cimarron made a 1875 with the original frame .
And it was laying beside a 1875 with the cross bolt frame they are making now.
Which one would you buy?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Which would you buy????
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 08:14:19 PM »
Hands down, I'd get the one with the original type.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:59:57 PM »
The original if there's a choice but I gotta say, they're all much better with coils in them!! (That way you can have superior operation to go along with superior looks!!   8) )

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:51 AM »

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:04:40 PM »
The original if there's a choice but I gotta say, they're all much better with coils in them!! (That way you can have superior operation to go along with superior looks!!   8) )

Mike

COILS !!! ?..Ruger gots "coils"

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 01:57:30 AM »
When Uberti started tha making of the Rem 1875 in the early 1970s they were fitted with the historically correct cylinder pin.
They were made in .357 Mag and .45 Colt but I have not seen one in .44-40.
This set-up looked PC.
Function was not reliable because the pin moved foreward from the recoil after a couple of rounds.
This eventually disabled the pistol unless you pushed the pin back in.
At some time in the 1970s Uberti switched to the Colt style cross bolt.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 09:23:38 AM »

>:(  Well .... Howdy Doody   >:(

First things first.  Let us dispense with this "Cimarron/Uberti makes the best reproduction guns in the World" clap trap.   A.)   Cimarron doesn't "make" anything except deriving their income from selling guns they "Import."  Cimarron is strictly an importer.   B.)   Uberti make the guns Cimarron imports.  Uberti make nice guns.  Really, not the "best in the world" but not the worst.  The worst guys have all gone bust.

Then the question of "which frame" which quickly boils down to why either??  Poor ergonomics that hurt when you shoot.  Poor grips that don't fit almost anybody.  While everyone is entitled to their own degree of wrong, why start out with a Reproduction Remington in the first place.  Remingtons SUCK.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
To answer the OP's question, if I were in the market for a Remington and had that choice I would choose the one copied after the original. (smile)

Dave

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »
Uberti Rem 1875 #72 from 1972 (XX8): note correct cylinder pin.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
COILS !!! ?..Ruger gots "coils"

LOL !!!! Yes, you're right!!  (and just for educational purposes)  So does Freedom Arms, BFR's from Mag.Research,  along with Pietta's and Uberti's with the coil handsprings.  There seems to be a trend here .  .  .  ?  As far as Remington's go, they are still stuck in the 1800's with their flat spring tech.!!  I was informed a couple of years ago that Remies weren't a serious contender in the Cowboy shooting arena because of this fact and since I was already interested in "coil springing" the Remie, I continued to figure out that setup. I did so and the result is a revolver that will stand up to the rigors of competition as well as the Ruger .  .  .  only .  .  .  it's not a Ruger!! It's actually the biggest advancment for the Remington S.A. since 1890!!  There are now many Remington's (and many many  more Colt type actions) that have a coil action in them that ultimately will stand with Ruger as a "race gun". This ultimately " evens the playing field "  so to speak and gives competitors the ability take their favorite S.A. to the finish line.

And, C.M. come on!! They don't really "SUCK" ,  they are known to bite some folks though !!!  Ooooo .. ..   a biter !!! Yikes!!

Ok, I'm did  .  .  .  !!  ;D

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 04:19:29 PM »
Depends on your definition of "serious contender". I've been using my Uberti Remington Outlaws for over 10 years without  single mis-step. No, I don't win, I'm a middle of the pack shooter, I try for a clean shoot every match, mostly I get that too. Don't do it to win, do it cuz its fun. Plain and simple. I won't shoot with the gamers, simply because they are not fun to shoot with. I like the feel of the Remington's I have, they fit me better than the Colts. I guess I don't care if they are period correct, or a serious contender. I love my Remmies!
King Medallion

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
Ah, Long Johns, I feel a shiver every time I see #73. Here is a picture of #10, a 38 Special. I also have #222, a .45 Colt, and #273 a .357 Magnum. All have the original style pin and were all imported by Replica Arms. I also have heard from someone on the wire years ago who had #223 also a .45 Colt.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 03:11:05 AM »
Thanks Pathfinder: so they are out there, these old "correct" Uberti Remmies 1875.
Can they be fitted with coil springs?
Probably.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 04:29:30 AM »
Long Johns Wolf,
   Yes, I've been "converting"  Remington's to coil/torsion springs for a couple of years now. The mainspring remains flat of course. Springing the hand was the most difficult to figure out since drilling the frame (Ruger style) isn't SASS legal.  Once I got the hand spring figured out, the rest was a little easier (there's just no room in those skinny little frames!!).  The trigger guard anchors the stationary end of the torsion springs.
      Once converted though (along with the addition of a bolt block and action stop) they are incredible!  They'll make a Ruger sit up and take notice!!

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 05:55:07 AM »
Thanks, Dragoon and please, don't get me wrong I don't wish to highjack the thread.
My interest in these Uberti Remmy 1975s with PC cylinder pin is purely from a collector's point of view.
In CAS my main match pistols for CC are either Uberti OM SAAs in .44 Spec or Centaure LCCs.
Both pairs are fed with .44 Colt only and they are fitted with coil springs for good reason
When I am competting in ESD I am using a pair of Colt RM 1861s - one is a converted 2nd gen Colt, the other a converted Uberti - in .38 LC.
Their springs are all flats and I X my fingers every time I draw them, ha.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
If I had the choice I'd buy the original style. I never knew the early Uberti's had the original style pin, that's pretty neat. Every gun does not need to be a race gun, some guns are neat just because they are historical. Their limitations are part of what makes them interesting.

LJW and Pathfinder, those are some cool guns, I likey.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 12:24:13 AM »
King Medallion,  I'm a tuner so my nature is to make the S.A. in question to be the best "running"  S.A. it can be. That means the easiest, fastest most reliable to function S.A. whether you're a competitor or a plinker. My goal is to make them  as unbreakable as I can. That is still for the competitor or the plinker. Most of my business is comprised of folks wanting the "best" revolver theirs can be. About a fourth or so of my business is for competition shooters (SASS).  Some folks desire to have the "best" and that is actually my goal. I've developed my own system and ultimately my own action for S.A.s . What I do is definitely overkill for SASS competition but .  .  . you won't break or out run one of mine if you use it for competition .  .  . or anything else. I've introduced several things to these revolvers we use ; coils for Remies, action shields, interference pins, captured wedge, adjustable wedge bearing, lug lock (open tops) and in house up grade action for three screw Rugers.   By all means, if you are happy with "out of the box" , it's all good.

Long John's Wolf. Ha!! Got it !!  I can make it where you don't have to cross your fingers though .  .  .  !!! ;D
LonesomePigeon I agree, not all need to be "race guns" ,  ( but it's more fun if they are!!! ).

Thanks LP, KM and LJW for all yall do !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com