Author Topic: New to me "Six" gun.  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
New to me "Six" gun.
« on: February 16, 2019, 07:18:20 PM »
In GAF, I put a lot of rounds thru my Colt Army Specials, both made in the 1920s.  Both these revolvers are unaltered since coming out of Conneticut, and are quite a pleasure to shoot, having over 90 years of ageing and Python ancestry.  However, they are indeed coming up on 100 years, perhaps I should find something else to practice with, saving them for actual competition.  Something I can beat on without mercy or worry.

A Ruger, right?

Except, I don't much care for the current GP series.  Too big, too brick-like in the hand, after all my handling of older svelte mid frame Colts and Smiths.  Don't much like current Smiths either, too barrel heavy, too expensive.

A friend tells me "You want a "Six" gun".  Well, of course I do.

Meaning the Ruger "Six" series, Security, Service and Speed.  Bills first DA revolvers, 1971-1988 until replaced by the GPs.  K frame size, rugged as heck.  Undervalued on the Market, but mourned by Ruger connoisseurs.  Handling one, I find that with a 4" barrel the flat top "Security Six" feels in weight and balance much like my 6" pencil barreled Colts.  The coil spring action is smooth, with a bit of stack.  Accurate, with a solid lock up. The spherical recoil shield gives it a bit of SAA aesthetic.  I like it.

I bought it.

And now I find I need the round butt fixed sight "Speed Six" as well.  To give my vintage round butt "K" M&Ps some rest as well.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New to me "Six" gun.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »
I have a 6" one, bought in the Nellingen Barracks Rod and Gun club in Germany in about 1979. Nice handling pistol, Accurate, but I've just never shot it much. May have to change that.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 08:28:22 PM »
Mine is a 1979 gun.  Good year.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising