Author Topic: .32ACP&Etc. Ruger New Model Single Six.  (Read 11042 times)

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.32ACP&Etc. Ruger New Model Single Six.
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:23:15 PM »
This year (September 2016) I acquired a used Ruger New Model Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum for use in a Project.
It has a 5-5/8 inch barrel (nominal 5-1/2 inch) so it is shorter than my '.25ACP Project revolver.

My intent is to use this revolver for Testing Development loads for .32 size cartridges in two families: S&W with a body diameter of .337 inch; and Colt with a body diameter of .318 inch.

Initially my gunsmith and I will be reworking two .22 "RF" cylinders to verify if my intentions are feasible.
After re-cutting and other modifications to chamber a Stainless Steel (SS) one in .32 Long Colt size.
A separate Blued Alloy Steel Cylinder will be re-cut for .32ACP to check margins.

If these Prove out the dimensions and margins, then we will modify the Frame/Barrel and original .32 H&R Mag. cylinder to be interchangeable for use.

Other cartridges contemplated for fitted cylinders are:
  for .318" diameter;
- .32 Extra Short.
- .32 Short/.32 Short Colt
- .32 Extra Long.

for .337" diameter;
- .32 S&W.
- .32 S&W Long.
- .327 Fed. Mag (modified as the factory loads will NOT fit the modified Frame/Forcing cone Window).

Cases for the Colt family not commercially available will be made from ,32 S&W, .32 S&W long/special, .32 H&R, and .327FM parent brass. by swaging diameters and trimming lengths.

Anyone have suggestions on this Project?

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .32ACP&Etc. Ruger New Model Single Six.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »
Today my gunsmith pushed a Slug thru the revolver bore and we measured it as having a Bore of .303" diameter and Grooves of .312" diameter.
This is a 1985 build Ruger New Model Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum chambering.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »
My New Badge mounted in My New Modified Badge Wallet:

I now have Three Stainless Steel Alloy Ruger 6-shot Cylinders and one Blued steel one to use in cutting .32 Colt Sized Chambers into, along with .32 S&W sized chambers in the Blued one.

My gunsmith is due back in the shop this week so I will be talking to him about Work schedules soon.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:19:53 AM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:39:36 AM »
Man, When you get into a project, you really jump in both feet! I remember following your Stevens projects with great interest.

You say you might pursue 32Colt long and short. Good luck finding brass. I have a 1885 Winchester LowWall and a Marlin Model 32 both  in 32 Colt Long. Only brass I could find is a fellow on Gun Broker is resizing 32 S&W Long to 32 Colt Long and I was able to buy two bags of brand new Winchester 32 Colt Short brass at an auction for $60 a bag.

Heel type bullets are available from various sources or you can order a mold from many of the custom mold makers.

The Marlin Model 92 is getting rechambered to 32 S&W Long and the 1885 is getting relined and will be a 32-20.

Thanks for sharing all of this with us!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:02:36 PM »
RE: Brass.
Starting with New Empty .32 S&W Short, Long, H&R Mag., or .327 Fed. Mag. Brass cases and supporting the primer pocket with an RCBS Primer Pocket Swage Punch, I push the Parent case in to a ".32 Long/Short Colt" Carbide Sizing Die all the Way to the top of the Rim.  This reduces the Body and Base to about .318"-.320" Diameter.  I then use an old "Hollywood Engineering" Steel "32 Colt" Sizing Die to reduce the Body and base to .316" Diameter.  This leaves a small 'roll' of displaced Brass above the Rim which I trim off in a Lathe.

The Results are .32 Colt Diameter Cases that just need trimming to length, and the Flash hole Verified burr free and of correct diameter.

Not Difficult to do using my RCBS "RC" Reloading Press with a handle from a "Ammomaster II"' installed on it.
The Lathe is in a Friend's Special Effects Shop.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:41:34 PM »
I have been Buying spare  Single six 6-shot cylinjders to have re-cut to .32 Size Chambers (both S&W and Colt sizes) and received one Stainless Steel Ruger one that looked "pitted" so I inspected it with a ten Power Loope and "OH MY!"   

The pitting looks like Casting Blow Holes with most of them machined off but one is VERY SCARY as it extends from the rim rebate into the Outer Wall of the Chamber!
This cylinder looked like it had not had any cartridges fired in it but did have a Partial Serial number electric Pencil engraved on the front face.  This would indicate it WAS fitted by Ruger to a Particular Revolver.

I took the suspect cylinder to my "local gunshop" and discussed it with the owner.  Then I Left it with him to see if he could negotiate a Replacement/Exchange with Ruger.  Now I am waiting for word of his results.

Strange as Ruger Told me over the telephone that their Stainless Steel Cylinders are made from Bar Stock, not castings.
Ruger would not tell me the Alloy; but did say it is a Weldable Alloy.

Best Regards,
Chev. William R.A.T.S. #736

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
It is now April 21st and still no reply from Ruger to my Local gun shop about the BAD Stainless Steel Cylinder.

In the Interim I have handed my Gunsmith all my 6-shot Used Cylinders along with my Ruger .32 H&R Magnum Single Six Revolver to have the Replacement cylinders machined to fit my Frame for future use.

I am NOT having the Revolver Modified at this time.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
R.A.T.S. #736

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:35:26 AM »
I now Have in my hands the First Stainless Steel Used .22 Magnum Cylinder Re-machined and Chambered For 32 Colt (Long) Cartridges.  It Still has the Ruger Roll Marked Logos And Legends on it so I will need to get it Engraved With ".32LC" at some point.

The Revolver And other Cylinders Are still with my Gunsmith, and he is going to remake one of the Blued Steel  6 shot ones into a .32ACP cylinder for this same revolver.

On a Separate Note:  I spent The Third Week of November 2017 Removing MALWARE from my Home computer that had acted like a 'Denial of Use' attack, Using up 100 percent of The Computer processing time repeatedly Cycling through a program it would NOT directly Report.
It did not seem to be "Ransomware" but WAS Very Difficult for me to remove.  I am Hoping Such Infection does NOT reoccur!

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »
I told my gunsmith to Set back the barrel on my .32 H&R Mag Ruger Single Six to match up to the custom reamed replacements of .22 Magnum Parentage and cut back the face of the original .32 H&R Mag. cylinder to match up to the New forcing cone position.

He replied he MAY have some of my Projects done by end of the Month, sounds like near Christmas, Hope, Hope, Hope!

Best regards for the Christmas and New Year Holiday Season,
Chev. william

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing your progress Chev.    Merry Christmas and Happy New Yr. ,,,DT

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Interesting!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
The First Modified .22 Mag 6-shot Stainless Steel replacement Cylinder is reamed And chambered for the .32 Colt Long Cartridge.
The Next one will be a Blued Steel one that will be reamed and chambered for the .32ACP semi-rimmed Cartridge.
Eventually I will have Stainless Steel cylinders Reamed and chambered for the .32 Colt Short, and the .32 Colt Extended (case length of 1.150") made for this Modified revolver. 
The Blued Steel ones planned will include .32S&W Short, .32 S&W Long/Special also.

I do not like the problems that occur when repeatedly firning short cartridges in Longer chambers then trying to extract the longer fired cartridge cases; hence the cylinders for each length cartridge.

Best Regards,
Chev. William, R.A.T.S. member.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »
Sad News:
The recent "Creek Fire" that occurred in the Northeast Border Mountain Ranges of the San Fernando Valley Area of the City of Los Angeles, CA severely damaged the "Angeles Shooting Ranges". the local Commercial out door Shooting Facilities that I frequent. 
The "Reloading Store" in the same complex was left undamaged and is still operating.
I understand  the Range management is planning to rebuild the facility, which is GOOD News.
However, that will take time and for now there is no place locally form me to do any Chronograph Testing of loads.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 07:44:29 PM »
Good News.   The "Angeles Shooting Ranges" are up and partially open during reconstruction wiht the
offices temporarily in a Double Wide Rental Trailer.

My .32 Ruger Single Six is slowly making Progress at my gunsmith's as he is getting the various cylinders reamed and fitted to my Revolver frame with its set back Barrel.
- My .32 H&R cylinder is now fitted and has .002 Forcing cone to Front of Cylinder clearance.
- The modified .22MAG Blued cylinder is reamed for .311" throat through and is waiting for a .32ACP Cylinder body Finish reamer.
A pair of Blued ,22 Mag Cylinders have yet to be started and wil eventually be made in to .32 S&W Short, and .32 S&W Long Cylinders.  the .32 S&W short cylinder will also be use to try out .32ACP.
- Three Stainless steel .22MAG cylinders are reamed to .311" throat diameter and are waiting for Chamber reamers to make them
into .32 Colt Short, .32 Colt Long, and .32 (Colt) Extra Long Cylinders.  I plan to also us e the .32 Colt short to fire .32 Extra Short CF cartridges (.400" body length).

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 12:54:17 AM »
This month, June 2018, I have been experimenting with Swaging / Sizing Dies made from Hardened Alloy Steel Drill bushings adn PT&G Blank Reloading die bodies.
I put together one from a Letter size "O"(.316") McMaster-Carr Drill bushing (~$7) and a PT&G body (~$20) for an inexpensive experiment.
First I tried sizing commercial .32 Colt Long cases and found no Issues.
Then today I tried swaging a .327 Fed. Mag. Case down to .32 Colt family diameters.
I lubed the case before Swaging.
The case came out measuring ~.315 at the Mouth and ~.317 at eh Web area, I did Not Touch the Rim with the Die.
I found no issues in this Swaging experiment.

I employed my used RCBS "RC" reloading Press for the experiment.

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 08:28:24 PM »
Weather here has been Uncomfortably Warm and Humid, so much so, i have not been working out on my patio in my 'reloading shop' as in daytime I sweat too much and in nighttime the Bugs Bother me greatly.

This Last week I received back my Ruger .32 Single Six with two interchangeable cylinders.
One is the original .32 H&R Mag one cut to fit the set back barrel and forcing cone.
The second is a Modified .22Mag cylinder that is now a .32 Colt Long cylinder.

Now I will need to gather things and make run to my local Commercial range to Try out the two cylinders.

On a nonCAS subject:
I received possession of a Used Ruger Standard Auto. Pistol modified with Volquartsen molded Target Grip fitted.  This was a delayed possession as it is A California Rules Sale Conditions Private Party through a Dealer purchase.  It is a 4-3/4" barrel MKII version.  This pistol; currently has fixed sights but I am planning to fit it with Target adjustable open sights, like my Early MKI pistol..

I now own four Rugers, two revolvers and two Standard Auto Pistols.
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
It is the Day after Easter 2019 and things are Still going slowly around here.

My gunsmith is still 'buried' in pending repair work so he has not been able to get my 'low priority low cost' work done.

I need to gather money and then order a custom Finish Chamber reamer for .32ACP cartridge that will have a straight wall cylindrical Body diameter of close to SAAMI minimum size.  This is primarily to cut Revolver Chambers that will not allow any 'Bulging ' of cases upon firing.

I 'won' an pair of 'Ebay' Auctions for used .22LR Marlin barrels;
= One is ~24 inches long with narrow lands and wide grooves.
= The other is slightly shorter and is marked as 'Microgroove' rifling.
Both have/had some surface rust and pittign over parts of their exterior.
I am planning to use one, or both, for .221 Atkins project barrels.
This will also require a Custom made Finish chamber reamer to accomplish.

Also 'won' off an 'Ebay' Auction were two Winchester 1890 'Front Housings' that look like they were refinished as they have a nice shiny Blued Finish.

Perhaps one of these will become the beginnings of a .221 Atkins rifle basis?
I think I may have enough miscellaneous 1890 Winchester Parts to make up a suitable action for this cartridge.

Chev. William

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 06:29:55 AM »
I have enjoyed your reports so far on this project. Any more word on the .32 ACP cylinder?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 03:35:47 PM »
As of the end of June, 2019: my gunsmith (Willie Clark) is back in the shop after being out on a pair of Movie projects.  He is 'buried' in work to be done due to his being absent about two months.
As of June 29th he had been able to complete on e8-shot cylinder, a .25ACP one, for me amongst working on the backlog.
No idea when he will get to any more of my projects in his care.

before he left for the Movie projects, he did complete the .32 Colt (long) conversion 6-shot cylinder for my customized .32 'Convertable' Single Six (originally a Ruger .32H&R Magnum one).

Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
Earlier this summer, my gunsmith returned all my chamber reamers and the Cylinders to me to review.
The Group included both .25  *-shot and .32. 6-shot cylinders along with one 6-shot that had been opened to .25 cal instead of .32 Cal.

I guess My gunsmith was unwilling to look for a 'Custom Match Grade straignt cylinder type reamer for .32ACP so I will need to order one made.

That will be sometime next year unless my finances improve a lot more than in the Recent past.

Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com