Author Topic: 500 gr bullets in '86  (Read 1818 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
500 gr bullets in '86
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
I recorded "The Last Hunt" with Stewart Grainger and Robert Taylor. Half way through.

The rifle Robert Taylor selected for this hunt was a '76 Winchester with tang and globe sights. Calibre unspecified. Grainger's rifle is a Sharps with tang sight, again, calibre unspecified.
In one scene, Taylor has a "stand" and his barrel gets so hot, he pours water down the barrel from his canteen. You actually see steam coming from the muzzle!
Too bad no one taught him how to operate the rifle from the shoulder. He lowers it to operate the lever every shot.

Considering the 1958 date of the movie, the rifles had to be originals, as there were no '74 or '76 replicas back then. Both shot using a "Y" single shooting stick.

But I digress from the topic .....

When I reported earlier about shooting 500 gr Lyman 457125's from my '86, I was single loading them as they would not feed into the mag tube. Those rds had the front driving band outside the case mouth. I made up another dummy rd with the driving band INSIDE the case mouth.  

They fed into the magazine and chambered. In the loading/chambering process, you cause a scuff mark on the ogive of the bullet. They eject just fine.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com