Author Topic: The Weather!?!  (Read 13591 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
The Weather!?!
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:29:53 AM »
Can someone please do something about this weather? I don't know what its like where you guys live, but here in NJ we've had one heck of a winter so far! Growing up in WVA & NH I am used to snow, but I have been trying to get to the range for weeks now as I have a lot of Black Powder experimenting to do with both cartridge and percussion. I've been happy with my loading methods so far, but I would just like to experiment a bit just to keep things interesting. Maybe I'll end up right back here with what I'm doing now, but I also don't want to get stale or complacent. THAT is a sure recipe (at least for me) for becoming a self centered know-it-all. Oh well, I guess I'll have to pass the time buying a few more guns.    Navy Six
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: The Weather!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:43:42 AM »
You got to shoot more, and let the fire from your guns melt paths to the targets.  That is the way we do it in the far north ;D
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Shawnee, you are absolutely right! I never thought of it in those terms. That's why I can count on this site for seasoned veteran advice.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:19:49 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »
Far north, you say .... ?

Here in the Great White North, we are enjoying our umpteenth straight day of -30C+ temps. Today it was -36*C. -40* is where Fahrenheit and Celsius meet. That's cold, bro.
After -25*C, we just say it's 'cold'. Doesn't seem to make a hell of a lot of difference after that.

In the bright sunshine, it has warmed up to a balmy -18*C, the predicted high for the rest of the week. With even the slightest wind, human skin freezes in seconds. Metal is so cold, it 'burns'.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
Good Day, PJ,
It is +20 F. today  here in  Maine.  Beach weather for  Canadians.  Normally it is in the 30's.  My only complaint with you  guys in the Great White North is your exporting of that damn Polar Vortex.  If you export anything , at least make it useful ,please.  Well, I am going to the beach and do a little ice fishing, need some ice cubes for my rum drinks.
Shawnee
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:39 PM »
Well here in the South of Jolly ole England, we have floods everywhere the Thames Barrier is just about holding the mighty Thames back from flooding the whole capital, whilst here in Hampshire many poor folk have had to leave their homes to the mercy of the water, the Gubbment are at last getting off their fat butts and starting send help to the worst hit.

It really is disgusting All the money we give in aid to others and yet when we need it they hold it back!! I really REALLY hate politician's!!

We went shooting on Thursday but had to give in as more and more of the range was disappearing under water!!
It was the wettest January in Blighty for over 200 yrs!! And so far February looks set to follow!!

Paladin (Whats fed up with the rain >:( ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
And a great big southern California 69 degree slightly overcast day to you folks.   ::)   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
And a great big southern California 69 degree slightly overcast day to you folks.   ::)   ;D

Forty, you can just enjoy that nice weather as much as you want, right up until So. Cal. slides off into the ocean   :)

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
That is why Forty is looking at property in Arizona,  wants to find some good shore frontage . ;D :o

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Not in the rush I was.  Found out it's not due to slide for another four billion years.  I thought they said four million.

Kinda takes some of the pressure off.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Paladin, sorry to hear of the devastating floods in England as its been on the news here in the US quite a bit. Nothing worse than long term flooding. I should never have opened my mouth about the weather! I have been dying to get to the range and had a scheduled Friday & Monday off from school and thought I could squeeze in a day no matter how cold. Of course, it just snowed another twelve inches so there goes that! Even my two Great Danes are having a hard time trudging through the mess this year. Hurry Up Spring!!   Navy Six

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
Hey guys,   Guess we can all say that the weather has not been really tolerable.  They say there is another storm coming into the Northeast today.  The coast of Maine is to get from one to two feet of new snow.  I keep telling myself I like snow, but that isn't really working.   I found it funny that a snowshoe club cancelled their meeting Thursday due to the snow.  I can see use not getting to the range because of to much snow, but those boys are lightweights.  They have snowshoes so what is their problem?
Paladin, anyone around you building an ark?  I have seen that the rain does not want to stop, in England.  Hope you can keep dry.
We will be able to get back to shooting soon, spring is coming.  So in the meantime take care and keep your powder dry.
Shawnee

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »
Fer Shawnee

Nope Pard it aint stopped rainin yet, in fact we have 80 plus mph winds ripping and torrential rain through Hampshire as I type!!

We have had to cancel tomorrows CAS shoot (Second month on the trot)
All us Picketts Hill Marshals are getting Cabin Fever Reeeel bad,

Onleyest thing BP and bad weather are Bad Karma so`s it jest aint gonna be fun! :(

I`ve attached a piccies of our CAS range taken last week and it aint stopped rainin since so we can only guess how badly its now flooded

Paladin (whats keepin busy with some Extreme Needlepoint   ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
Don't be a bunch of goll durned sissies, dig out the wellies and go shoot ;)

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
I have about 10 times already,   :P.  The only problem is that when I am done I am to pooped out to even load my guns.  So I just back down to the barn and have a beer. ;).  From here on in, I am going to let nature do her thing.  The weather guesser says it will be up into the 40's by midweek on into the weekend.  That will melt a lot of this white stuff.  Mid-thirties  after that,  good weather to send lead down range. 
Keep your powder dry, 49er .
Shawnee

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 06:59:52 PM »
Yep, it's becoming tiresome.  I just got done clearing snow from my range again. 

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
More snow today!  Trans in the snow blower blew up yesterday. Only got 23 years use out of it! No snow blowers in stock ANYWHERE! What a surprise!  Now shoveling by snow shovel.  Time to lynch the groundhog! Welcome to New Jersey!
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 02:43:50 PM »
Lost track of how many times I've had to get the snow off my range.  No price to high to shoot a little black.
Looks like I'll get to do it again in the morning.

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
Hey 49er, when your done, would you consider stopping by and clearing my range?  I am good for a beer or two. ;).
Your way is a lot easier then mine.  Your snow scoot has a lot more ponies then mine.   :P. That's the way I look when I finish.
Keep your powder dry.
Shawnee

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
Sure no problem.  May take me a while to get dug out from this last snow though ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com