Author Topic: Tell me about boots.....  (Read 22258 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Tell me about boots.....
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 12:56:56 AM »
Cowboy boots were made to have the pants worn on the outside.  My father a real Montana Cowboy born in 1914 claimed the only people who stuffed there pants in the boots were Texans.  Being from Montana did not think much of Texans. 

Also the reason cowboy boots have the notch front and back on the upper is to hold your pant leg up at the top of the boot when mucking out stables and such so the pants dont get muddy or worse.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 05:18:58 AM »
and the "  the Rooster Ron De Theorie van het dode paard award " goes too  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 08:32:36 PM »

Necromancy!!  Diggin up Bones !!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:06:51 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 03:24:07 PM »

PLUS and ALSO:  Cowboys were a minority.  Plus I'm some more mature so I costume and dress towny.  Don't wear "Boots."  Wear Hightop Shoes.  "COMFORTABLE" high top shoes.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 06:21:04 PM »
I’ve been wearing the same Mule Ear boots since 2007 for both matches and more formal events such as banquets. They have served me well but are on their last leg. In searching for some Old West boots to wear at the recent NCOWS Convention, I discovered Chelsea Boots. I shopped online and ended up purchasing a pair of Chelsea boots from Kohl’s Department Stores. Kohl’s is very good about accepting returns. https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1623762/eastland-daily-double-leather-ankle-boots-men.jsp?prdPV=7  They were on sale and my cost was $84.61 including shipping. I don’t like to buy shoes online but I was lucky and they were a perfect fit. These boots seem to be well made. The soles appear to be some type of a non-slip rubber material. The leather on the boots has a dull matte finish to which I applied a coat of Skidmore’s Leather Crème. Another good feature is these boots go on easily with a shoe horn. I have a new hip and shoe laces are a problem for me. Although these boots were very comfortable from the start, I did insert a pair of Doctor Scholl’s which added to the comfort of these boots.

I was hoping to wear these boots in a match but we had to cancel our April 7th and April 14th matches due to lousy weather. I'm optimistic that these boots will be good to wear in a match.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
I'm New Mexico ranch raised and still ranching.  Cowboys tucking their pants into their high topped boots in these parts has always been common and I remember as a kid seeing old timers with their pants tucked in at the monthly Dunlap dances and the yearly Ice Cream Social.  I have also seen World Champion Steer Roper Sonny Davis dragging calves in a branding pen wearing lace up army boots.  I also remember one of those old timers always wore a set of OK spurs set above his 2 1/2 - 3" way underslung heels.  He was at least 6' 6" tall and mostly leg and I wouldn't be surprised if his tops weren't close to 22 - 24" tall.
      Another neighboring rancher (who was born in the 1880s) told me that he use to wear boots with tops so tall that he had to take them off before he could take down his pants to relieve himself.    ;)
      It has been my experience that tucking your pants in while in brush country (whether you wear leggins / chaps or not) is a sure fire way of filling up your boots with sticks and cedar berries.
     I'd say that the general rule here is, if they are low tops (12"), pants are on the outside.  If they are tall-tops, pants are tucked in.    
     There are no trees here and I have chicken legs and as a consequence, I tuck mine in for a little bit more padding, so that the tops of the boots don't rub holes in me when I ride.

Billy

Edited to add...  I ran across these pictures on the Internet some where, some time in the past and because they are early pictures and the 1st guy has full scallops, I put them in my file.  The boots are still square toed and I'm not sure when people started wearing round toed boots.  I don't really think this fellow paid for full scalloped boots to muck out stalls. Its style.

And for those wondering about exotic leathers, check out this guy's pants.  

And edited again:  

1961MJS
    My Dad (who was a Texan, Cpt. Dan) taught me to take the pants leg, at the bottom of the lower seam, in the middle of the ankle and pull it out until you have a fold running from there to the middle of your knee.  Then fold that over to the outside of your leg, hold it and pull on your boot.  That way you have narrowed up the pant leg and have no wad of pants leg between you, the boot and the saddle fender.   If the pants are too long, make as much cuff as you need first or they will wind up baggy above the knee and wrinkles might eat on you before you get out of the saddle.  There is nothing wrong with using talcum powder liberally.  And I've seen guys pull their (long) socks up over the folded pants leg to hold the pantlegs in place. And, I have shortened long pants by just whacking them off with a knife or scissors, because who is to know?  Your pants are tucked in every day. 
     I use to order Paul Bonds and the measurement around the calf would include the folded pants leg.
     I wear Wally Mart long cotton tube socks and the newer, the better.  (our gyp water tends to harden socks)  Again, for padding.  

But after reading and writing all of this, I think Johnny McCrae has the best idea if you are shooting.    :)

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »
Hi

I ended up with a pair of high tops from Farm and Ranch in Nebraska, and a pair of high topped cavalry boots from Missouri boot and shoe.  I love custom boots.  I ordered a 12 inch pair for everyday wear with Rubber soles.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
Nice choices!

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »
Say, Yeso Bill, are you talking about the Dunlap that used to be about halfway between Fort Sumner and Roswell?

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2018, 11:32:57 PM »
Hi Bill,
     Yes.  They closed the school down in the spring of 1957 and I started school in the Fall of 1957 so I can't say that I attended a one roomed school.   :(  Almost I guess.  

I live about 15 miles west of Dunlap and stopped there on a trip to Ft. Sumner a few months ago.  The roof has ruined and fell in, ruining the old hardwood floor and the south wall is badly damaged.  (Adobe building)  So, the old building will soon be another mound on the prairie.  Dust to dust....

A neighbor acquired the property and tried to maintain it for use as a ranch community center.  Which it always has been.  But he couldn't compete with the vandals driving up and down the hi-ways.   And the older generation is gone and there are mighty few in the area that are my generation.  In fact, there are mighty few in the whole area.  A shame but that is the way it is....    :(

Billy

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2022, 05:36:36 PM »
Hi

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just jump on the back of the wagon here.

I plan on ordering a pair of boots from Missouri boot and shoe.  I've worn brogans a little, and I wear cowboy boots a lot, but I've NEVER put the pants leg down the boots like they did back in the day.  How much do I need to add on the boot width?  Do I need to order pants that are thinner in the leg at the bottom? 

I also need to work out what socks to wear with the boots.  What brand socks actually stay up?

Thanks
My Dad being a Montana Cowboy born in 1914 claimed only Texans and Roy Rogers stuffed their pants in their boots.  Just say'n

Mike
Norman OK
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2022, 09:30:06 PM »
How about a pair of moccasins instead of boots?
Perfectly legal!
Except Classic Cowboy & B-Western.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Life

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2022, 10:09:14 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but since we're talking boots here, it bears repeating.  If you get a pair of boots with Cuban or riding heels, well, they ain't made for walking.  After wearing Buffalo Runners with a walking heel for a long time, I got Texas Jacks (Mexico) boots with the tall heel.  They do look good, but killed my feet.  You can't just replace the heel with a short walking heel because there is a steel shank in the sole and your toes would be pointing up.  I got a couple of recommendations saying that removing 1/4" would help a lot.  Doesn't seem like it would but what the heck.  The boot shop guy agreed, so I had him do it.  Well, it made a world of difference.  I can wear them all day.  I got another similar pair of boots that I keep for banquets and such, and the first thing I did was shorten the heel.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2022, 09:02:12 AM »

NECROMANCY!!  RUN FER YER LIVES!!  NECROMANCY - again   ::)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2022, 10:09:38 AM »
It might have been out of fashion after 1914 for a clean cut cowboy but when you look at true 19th century photos of working cowboys, wearing pants inside the boots was the norm and it actually still is today if you go to a farm or ranch where people are actually working.

It only makes sense just as we wear our pants inside our rubber muck boots or even our leather work boots today when working in the mud or around livestock. Mud and manure wash off of boots easier than out of pants and cowboys of that time were wearing those same pants for weeks or months at a time. Plus thorns and sticker bushes don't snag leather boots like they do pants.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2022, 12:24:35 PM »
It might have been out of fashion after 1914 for a clean cut cowboy but when you look at true 19th century photos of working cowboys, wearing pants inside the boots was the norm and it actually still is today if you go to a farm or ranch where people are actually working.

It only makes sense just as we wear our pants inside our rubber muck boots or even our leather work boots today when working in the mud or around livestock. Mud and manure wash off of boots easier than out of pants and cowboys of that time were wearing those same pants for weeks or months at a time. Plus thorns and sticker bushes don't snag leather boots like they do pants.

Hmmm, my born in 1914 Montana Cowboy/Farmer father claimed only Roy Rogers and Texans stuffed their pants in their boots.  On the outside keep stuff from getting into the boots.  If mucking the muddy shitty stable pull pants up and stick on the notched top so they don't fall down and get dirty
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com