Author Topic: Wax loads???  (Read 13360 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
Wax loads???
« on: May 13, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
I'm sure this subject is on here , so please humor me , I would like to practic with my NEW 1875 ,(no dry firing allowed), i would like to make my own wax practic loads.If y'all would lend a hand ,both the good& bad points.

Hootmix.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wax loads???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
I shot some about 30 years ago out of a 38 special. Just used a primer - no powder.

I punched a hole thru a cheaply made door that I taped the target to.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
For the most part , i will be shoot'n 44/40, at about 12ft. (I think) how hard does the wax need to be? Do i need to use a filler w/ just a primer. This is for me to get the feel of handling,cockingand shooting (moreor less) to point of aim.

thanks rikk.   Whootmix.,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:25:08 AM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
Mine were just hard wax, produced commercially. I don't know exactly what they were made of.  No filler used. They were pushed flush with the case mouth with finger pressure.

There were three of us playing with them in the back room of a sporting good store one night.

We made several holes in the door, which we then covered up with a calendar on one side and a poster on the other.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
I use these from time to time for practice. http://www.waxbullet.com/ I have a box of 50 or their cases using 209 shotgun primers, no powder and push in the wax bullet. I have no idea how long the brass will last though since I've never worn a piece out in a couple of years.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »
Thanks Joe,looked them up, didn't see any for 44cal.May have to make my own w/ lrg.,pistol primers,you think cci's be to round ?, or would fed's be better??

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Drill the primer flash holes out so the primers don't back out.  I have some 32 S&W's around here for my 32 mag.  I just poked the cases through those slabs of canning wax. 

Mark the cases on the rim with a file so you don't make a mistake and load them with real powder.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
Thanks Joe,looked them up, didn't see any for 44cal.May have to make my own w/ lrg.,pistol primers,you think cci's be to round ?, or would fed's be better??

I don't personally care for Federal Primers but do like the Remington and CCI but that is my preference. I'm sure you can drill out the primer as others have stated also. I just bought since I only shoot 45 Colt.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »
It is possible to actually use wax in many of the lever guns with the right cases and wax PLUS you can do do wax shotshells to allow a full three gun practice stage if you so desire.  In addition there is now a laser system built around firearms practice that works with pistol rifle and shotguns, 44-40 also.  http://www.laserlyte.com/collections/lts

Bottom right hand corner of order form for wax ammo supplies.  http://www.tenxammo.com/files/Shooter_Direct_Pricing_01132012.pdf 

C&R will have a selection of bullets also.  http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/ 

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
Well o'l sons,thanks for all the info., but( ain't there always but) how much do i drill out the primer hole,,,?

Hoot.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
don't remember what size bit, Just leave enough of a shelf for the primer to seat against

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
I did some of these for .38S&W years ago. Drilled out the primer to fit a 209 shotgun primer, used one of those round grinding stones for a drill to countersink for the rim of the primer. As Dell said, then just push the case into a block of canning wax to make the bullet.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:02:24 PM »
OK, Gent's, now all ineed is a hand primer( of course not expensive) &do i need a deprimer?

Hootmix.

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:19:29 PM »

I shot wax bullets in my garage for a while and found be very messy, both for the gun, the brass and making the wax...Oh yeah and cleanup after shooting (wax splatter).

I went to rubber bullets.  You drill out the flash holes and just fire primers and push the rubber bullets into the brass till they are flush with the case mouth and whalaah you are good to go...and they are very accurate at short distances.  The company I got them from is:  X-Ring...They made them in .38/.357, .44, and .45.

Hope this helps.

Slickshot

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
thanks slick, might be worth a try.

Hoot. :-\

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 02:10:24 AM »
Just remember to KEEP your rubber bullet brass separate from your regular shooting brass and mark them as such...You want to stay safe shooting...No accidents...

I hope you like them as well as I do...

Slickshot

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
I would suggest using a large cardboard box full of rags as a backstop.  The heavier the fabric the better.  I haven't tried it with wax bullets, but that setup works every time to stop .177 cal air pistol pellets at 15 to 20 feet in the basement.

Offline Slickshot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
Actually the recommended way to build your rubber bullet backstop is to get a longer stout cardboard box, cut some 3/8 Dowel rods to fit the width of the box with some overhang on both sides of the box, cut out triangles of equal spacing on both side (which the dowel rods will sit in) and must be very close to straight across.  On those dowel rods (5-6) you hang towels over down into the box.  I recommend you keep the lid attached as to fold the lid down on top of the dowel rods and towels and to prevent ricochet.

My particular box is 24 x 36.  But most likely doesn't need to be quite this big.  I believe the rubber bullets come with some directions on this, but cannot be sure.

Hope this info comes in handy for you..

Slickshot

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 08:33:19 AM »
A cardboard box filled with newspaper would stop them.

With all the wax and paper mixed together, it would burn nicely too when it comes time to light the wood stove.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com