Author Topic: Need ID on Spencer Carbine and reloading info  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Trebor1415

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need ID on Spencer Carbine and reloading info
« on: September 12, 2021, 07:19:03 PM »
I just received this Spencer Carbine from an online purchase. The previous owner was a Civ War carbine collector who passed away. His son sold me the carbine. He didn't know much about it except his father's notes indicated "Original Spencer Carbine" and " .52 caliber ".

Based on my internet research I think it's a 1860 Carbine that has not been upgraded with Model 1865 parts or rechambered for 56 -50.  I'm not an expert though (far from it) so let me know what you think. I may be off base.

Barrel is 22" with six grooves.
Maker's mark is Spencer, not Burnside. It was really too faint to get a picture of though.

I'd like to install a centerfire breech block and shoot this and have some questions. I have read several threads here and elsewhere but many of them are old and some of the vendors are out of business or no longer offering specific products, etc., so if I can get current info that would be great

First off: How do I confirm the caliber is 56 - 56?

What do I need in terms of dies and molds? Is anyone making brass that works in original guns as opposed to repro guns?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Hypnogator

• Citizen
    • The Wickenburg Project
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Need ID on Spencer Carbine and reloading info
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 11:58:16 PM »
Dixie Gun Works currently has Spencer CF breech blocks in stock for $225.  I've got one on the way!  ;D
I'm afraid I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.

Offline Trebor1415

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 11:05:32 PM »
 Thought I'd bump this now that the CF blocks are available again.

I've been going through old threads and finding a lot of outdated info. People who are no longer available to buy products from, companies who no longer make brass, other molds and components that are no longer available new, etc.

What's the current best source for molds for a 56 56?  I see the Rapine molds mentioned, but I also see problems with them not holding enough lube. The Ozwiak mold that was recommended I can't track down.

I did find Rocky Mountain Cartridge for cases.  Now I just need dies and molds.

Any help appreciated.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:57:41 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 01:23:32 AM »
Thought I'd bump this now that the CF blocks are available again.

I've been going through old threads and finding a lot of outdated info. People who are no longer available to buy products from, companies who no longer make brass, other molds and components that are no longer available new, etc.

What's the current best source for molds for a 56 56?  I see the Rapine molds mentioned, but I also see problems with them not holding enough lube. The Ozwiak mold that was recommended I can't track down.

I did find Rocky Mountain Cartridge for cases.  Now I just need dies and molds.

Any help appreciated.

You might take a look at Accurate Molds (https://www.accuratemolds.com/). The catalog is a little cumbersome, but he will make pretty much anything that you want. You can choose an existing design and modify it (for example to carry more lube) and in short order you'll have your custom mold on your doorstep.  Others here might have specific designs to consider.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 08:21:52 AM »

You might try these people. They have reproduced some obsolete dies for me.
https://www.ch4d.com/products/dies
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »
Hello:
Old Thread, but:
Hammer tip seems to indicate a Model 1860, which would probably mean 56-56. 
A center-fire block should work.
To resolve case, dies and bullet, my tip would be to contact Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms in Idaho.
Accurate has one heeled bullet, but it's heavy.  Buffalo may have a better bullet mould.
Gullo has a lot of experience with Spencer c-f setups.  Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 12:18:10 PM »
In all likelihood, your M1860 Spencer Carbine is chambered for the #56 (aka .56-56) cartridge. Note, however, that the .56-.56 refers to the diameter of the cartridge case at the base and at the front end of the original cartridge. The interesting thing is that the rifling is tapered from the breach to the muzzle! Just ahead of the chamber, the groove diameter is around .545" tapering to .535" at the muzzle. At least I have found that to be the case with a number of these carbines. The six-groove rifling indicates it is the original, whereas the later Burnside-made used 3-groove .50 caliber barrels, that were .515" effective groove, similar to what became the barrels of the .50-70 Trapdoor Springfields.

The original cartridges for the .56-56 Spencer used outside lubed heel bullets. I experimented with several bullets, some made by Rapine (Ray retired years ago, and the company went out of business). I also cast hollow-based bullets from a Lyman #533476 mould, using #2 alloy, sized .538" with good results, using either Pyrodex RS or 8.0 gr. Unique. Cases were made from Dixie Gun Works .50-70 brass, shortened, and inside reamed to .525" before annealling about 1/2 the length of the shortened brass. 

Be sure to have the carbine checked by a gunsmith who knows what he/she is doing!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com