Author Topic: NO LONGER!!  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
NO LONGER!!
« on: December 01, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »

:)  It's Official.  ;)

No longer just a Four Letter Word.  Today marks the first SNOW of the season in my neck of the woods.  WOWZERS.  2 to 4 inches was forecast.  We already have the 4 and are headed for SIX.

Betcha half the residents have forgotten how to drive in snow (every year occurrence) and are spreading car parts everywhere. 

Our NEW Puppy is just Bonkers with delight.  Wish I could bottle that energy.

Stay Well All

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: NO LONGER!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:33:31 AM »
Snow is about 27% of my good times in life! I love cool weather. And I don't ski or drive snowmobiles.
all 887 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:25:42 PM »
I'm a desert dweller. It's been so long since I've been in snow, or even seen any in person, I'd either shut down from hypothermia or if I still could, turn South and keep going until I wasn't cold anymore. (lol)

And ain't puppies a kick!

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:57:26 PM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »
I've not really enjoyed snow since I had to give up riding dirtbikes.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »
I enjoyed Winter up to the year 1998, when I stupidly locked myself out of the house taking trash to the curb on a frigid day in January. Low wind chills. No coat, gloves nor head covering.
And wife was out running errands. I ended going to the neighbor's house and begged to be let in.

I was exposed long enough that now whenever the temperature gets below 40 degrees, my fingers and nose are painful.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 03:35:37 PM »
We've got 2' of snow on the ground so far and the likelihood is for our usual heavy winter snowfall and -36C temps.  I've been a busy boy plowing driveways for my neighbours, all of us with lengthy driveways to the gravel road that gets plowed by the highways contractor.

I'll be x-country skiing ere long on the lake and the bush trails in snowmobile tracks. A few years back I x-country skied 25 miles during our annual Dog Sled Mail Run Race. No one told me that it was the toughest leg of the trek which goes over several days, a lot of it uphill. I had extra gloves, one extra layer, water (which froze), chocolate but no means of making fire. Got caught in a blizzard on a summit and had I gone down, it would have been bad as no one had reported me on the course. Touch and go, but I actually beat two of the dog teams who came to grief on a couple of the creek crossings.

I spent two years stationed at CFB Churchill on the shore of Hudson Bay. I left there convinced that hell was not hot but COLD !!! It would kill you from hypothermia in 45 minutes if you went down Fighting in the arctic would be insane as it takes 60% of your energy and resources just to stay alive.

With winter in the Great White North, you have two choices - adapt and overcome or .....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »
I enjoyed Winter up to the year 1998, when I stupidly locked myself out of the house taking trash to the curb on a frigid day in January. Low wind chills. No coat, gloves nor head covering.
And wife was out running errands. I ended going to the neighbor's house and begged to be let in.

I was exposed long enough that now whenever the temperature gets below 40 degrees, my fingers and nose are painful.

RCJ

I understand that completely. My nose got frost bit way back when. I need to keep our house much warmer than what most folks like, otherwise my nose gets cold.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 07:46:54 PM »

I understand that completely. My nose got frost bit way back when. I need to keep our house much warmer than what most folks like, otherwise my nose gets cold.

Its been 40 to 46 degrees CELCIUS here the last week, howling winds as well - cool change today . More hot coming - cant shoot in case I light a wildfire. Snow dont happen but would be fun for a change . ,

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 09:33:20 PM »
When I saw the topic title and that it was from Coffinmaker, I assumed it was going to be about cutting off another barrel.  ;D

Snow is pretty.  I hate it.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 09:01:17 AM »
When I saw the topic title and that it was from Coffinmaker, I assumed it was going to be about cutting off another barrel.  ;D

Snow is pretty.  I hate it.

Snow is pretty, but is best viewed from INSIDE the house, while watching the county road grader remove that pretty snow from the road.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
Hi
Back in the 1970's, we got most of the month of January off school (Central Illinois) so I worked as an electrician fixing downed power lines (not the big ones, the ones going to the barn etc).  Can't touch things without gloves, can't fix wires with gloves.   ;D
Don't miss it much in the winter.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 07:15:26 AM »
Got about 8" here in Northeast Ohio, some places got up to a foot of the white &^%$!! ::)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com