Author Topic: A Might Quiet  (Read 4514 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: A Might Quiet
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »
The forum sure has slowed down a bit  :'(  Has anyone been shooting lately? I had my 1876 out to the range last weekend and again today. While there today, I made a short video while shooting at the 100 yard gongs  ;D

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 06:31:52 PM »
Tink Tink tink Tink love it. Whats the load?
King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
For what it's worth, I got shoulder problems so I've only been handgunning this year. Surgery soon so next year hopefully rifles again.
King Medallion

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:47:23 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 02:49:55 PM »
Good luck to you with the shoulder. I'm a bit over a year out from reconstruction on my right shoulder, yea my shooting shoulder. I've only fired one rifle since I got the OK from the surgeon and that was my '73 in 44 WCF. Not much of a challenge but probably a good first step. Didn't hurt a bit although the points of the crescent butt left black n blue marks. I'm turning into such a wimp as I get old (lol).

Got a rifle coming in a week or so that will test the shoulder good. Maybe after that I'll buckle my swashes and shoot a 12 gauge double. (smile)

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 03:16:01 PM »
The load was 78gr of Swiss 2F under a 20-1 Rapine 350gr bullet lubed with SPG. A .030" veg card wad and a single newspaper wad over the powder. WLR primers. This is an earlier target I shot with this load. I wouldn't call it a tack driver. Not with my aging eyes. But its not bad.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2020, 04:01:50 PM »
 Looks like minute of elk to me! Nice shooting!
King Medallion

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2020, 06:53:04 PM »
That group looks great to me!  Hunting season is almost upon us, hope ya get a chance to try it out on some game!!
 :D

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 10:04:45 AM »
The forum sure has slowed down a bit  :'(  Has anyone been shooting lately? I had my 1876 out to the range last weekend and again today. While there today, I made a short video while shooting at the 100 yard gongs  ;D

Great Video Steve ! ,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »
What kind of peep is that?
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
What kind of peep is that?

On my rifle? Its an Axtell reproduction of the original Winchester sporting tang sight.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 03:19:38 PM »
Tried googling it and found that apparently that company is out of business now. Couldn't really find anything about it. Looks nice.
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
Unfortunately they are gone. But from what I understand, this guy bought all the tooling and is getting back in production.
http://www.theoriginalsightcompany.com/

He doesn't show my sight, but you might email and ask.

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2020, 06:09:31 PM »
That is a nice sight - whoever designed it knew what they were doing - most tang sights sit too far back on the tang and dont leave room to get your thumb over top of it -

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 06:39:09 PM »
That is a nice sight - whoever designed it knew what they were doing - most tang sights sit too far back on the tang and dont leave room to get your thumb over top of it -

It works very well. I suppose it was originally designed by Winchester engineers specifically for the  model 1876. They knew what they were doing. Its too bad Axtell retired. He made beautiful sights. Hopefully the successor will carry them again soon.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 08:59:56 PM »
Unfortunately they are gone. But from what I understand, this guy bought all the tooling and is getting back in production.
http://www.theoriginalsightcompany.com/

He doesn't show my sight, but you might email and ask.

Thanks for that hopeful information.  I spent a long time searching for one of those sights a few years ago and finally gave up...

Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »
Coincidentally, I just saw this Winchester Sporting Tang sight come up on the ASSRA forum.

https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1603302508

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com