Author Topic: GAF Rank & Rate  (Read 9896 times)

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF Rank & Rate
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »
Lots of things can influence what you end up wearing.  I'm female and never served in the military.  I have a lot of respect for that have or are currently serving.  I also like history.  I am allergic to wool.  The Civil War thing is not going to happen.

I have a real army uniform from about 1910. Some of the parts are a little earlier, but from what I could discover, that was common -- using up the old stuff on the reserves.  It is a quartermasters tunic, that is for sure from the buttons.  I found the whole thing at a gun show for much less than buying reproduction parts of the same things would have cost.  It is too small for most men today, but it's only a little bit big on me.

I can dress for Wild Bunch, but I still just wear my typical skirts and vests for cowboy matches.  The fun part was finding out about what I had, when it was worn, what the buttons mean, all that stuff.  Led me on a side trip to learn about the Mills Co., makers of Mills belts and related items in the U.S. and England.  Just go with it.  Let the uniform or whatever part of one you come across first take you into the history.

Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 10:40:56 PM »
Gentlemen, welcome to the ranks! Well, speaking of ranks, let's see... real-world military rank, Petty Officer 3rd Class (Pay Grade E-4) in, of course, the finest armed service in the world (grandly ignoring the catcalls from envious members of lesser services here). I then joined up with the 3rd US Regular Infantry Regiment 1860-1865, a reenacting unit portraying the Old Guard during the War of the Rebellion, and successfully resisted promotion for some years. Now, however, I've promoted myself to sergeant and am freelancing it. I've pretty much all the uniform parts and accouterments I need, and now that I've finally gotten some idea of how I wish to be armed, I hope to start moving forward again.

Now, in the GAF I am Acting Lieutenant in Command (or Lieutenant Commander, take your pick of titles) of the Naval Detachment, Department of the Atlantic. Sounds nice, eh? So far it's been totally ceremonial, and I haven't made it to any ceremonies yet... easiest duty I've ever pulled.  ;D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 06:07:46 AM »
Pards welcome to the GAF, as others have said, dress as you feel comfortable.

As Pitsptr has mentioned the overwhelming response you will recieve when you choose to wear the 1860- through victorian era uniforms - is nothing short of amazing.

People have lots of questions and all vets I have met ask usually if you do any other time periods and or countries.  I have never been asked why I wear a certain rank, other than telling people about my persona.

I am slowly putting together a french victorian period uniform and am still perfecting my USRCS outfit you see in my avatar.

The funniest thing is anymore, if I do just dress cowboy at local matches - my pards and pardettes ask me if everything is ok and where is my uniform?? ;D

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:12:41 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
I think the saddler matches up with my leather crafting.  And I still get to shoot. 
Indeed you do! the Post Saddler at Fort Hartsuff,  Sergeant William Doureghty, was killed in a conflict with a small party of Sioux on April 28 1876. He was in fact, the only fatality at the fort due to armed conflict. The other 2 fatalities were from typhus, and alcohol poisoning (this guy got drunk, fell down, and hung himself in the picket fence  :o )
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
I am Chief Commissary Officer for the Dept. of the Missouri and have put together a uniform based on the turn of the century Nebraska National Guard (Uniforms lack a bit in uniformity)  However when I preform my cooking at events, I just wear 19th century civilian clothing that is to worn out to wear to work so is patched up.  I have plenty of them and that way I can wear fresh clean clothes every day.  Sometimes PC can be a bit offensive. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mulee Pete

• MuleePete,phd
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
I just keep learning more and more, which translates into being more comfortable in my alais persona.  When I started CAS it was just about the shooting.  Now, Mulee is rounding out more and becoming a lot more fun, with his history.  The outfit was the hardest, as a performer, I have a bunch of outfitts from working cowboy, to Dude, to CSA Calvery.  None really felt just right.  But Saddler Sargent McMillan feels like home.  It lets me span the era of 1864 to 1884 very nicely.
Thank for all the great input and guidance.

Mulee
Saddler Sargeant GAF Department of the Platte, #521
SCORRS
CBQD #1
SASS Life #34368
USN Life (Ret.)

Keep track of your lustrums!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »
We'd love to see you at The 2008 Grand Muster, Mulee. ;)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 09:50:22 PM »
We'd love to see you at The 2008 Grand Muster, Mulee. ;)
Sure would. See this thread http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=17142.0
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com