Author Topic: GAF Muster Menu  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
GAF Muster Menu
« on: October 23, 2005, 09:31:35 PM »
My pard Matt "Gopher Grease" Moore and I sat down and did the final planning on the menu tonight.

We are baseng our menu on what has went over well in the past and what also works well for 50 or so folks.  Everything is based on our research on historical foods from homesteader, cowboy camps and resteraunts of the period.  We are using groceries as historical as possible and everything will be made from scratch.

You will also notice I use dinner for noon and supper for evening meals, it's the way I grew up and I'm proud to say it only took 10 years for me to get my wife trained. ;D

Friday Dinner

Beef Stew
Homemade bread
both Peach and Blueberry Cobbler

Friday Supper
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Czech Style Pork and Kraut with Potato Dumplings
Czech Style Rye Bread
Caramel Dump Cake

I know some will say they don't like kraut, but this one is so different than what most have eaten it should be tried before you judge, brown sugar removes the sour in this dish.  If there is not bread left from dinner I'll make some more white bread also.  Matt makes the caramel from scratch.

Saturday Breakfast

Corned Beef Hash
Scrambled Eggs

You can't have corned beef and cabbage with out having corned beef hash the next day.

Saturday Dinner

Chicken Pot Pie
Tamater Steak
Bread
Apple Cake

The pot pie is because Matt posted on it in Cosie's corner and a certain lady who is married to the boss of the board wants to see it made.

Tamater Steak is a less fancy fore-runner to Swiss Steak and was a treat on trail drives if there were extra canned tamaters.  It leaves out the green peppers that many don't like.
Sunday Breakfast

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Scrambled eggs.

What can you say, biscuits and gravy are a favorite with most, we ain't countin' calories this weekend.

Sunday Dinner

Baked Ham
Baked Rib's with Matt's Sauce
Baked macaroni and Cheese
Baked Apples

Matt's sauce for rib's is wonderfull, don't wear yer white shirt.  Baked Mac and Cheese was a rare delicacy till the US produced the right wheat around the turn of the century.  I make it like Thomas Jefferson's cook did, it was one of his favorite dishes.  Few do in in a dutch oven, when I do the oven gets cleaned.

There will be coffee on at all times made from good beans not canned.  I have a 20 and a 32 cup pots, if anyone has a large one or two bring it if you have room, I don't know how many are serious coffee drinkers, I can drink a 32 in a day by myself.  It don't take long to produce another pot though.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF Muster Menu
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 10:01:12 PM »
YEAH FOR THE COFFEE!!  Hmm..leave the plastic giant cup in the car.  What might be a good alternative?
A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 10:10:48 PM »
Stop at wal_Mart or target or camping store and buy one of those blue enemal ware ones, the US made ones of the time were grey and white, but there were some expensive stuff from Czechaslovakia that seems to have been blue, I'll also bring my cup collection.  Heck a soup can washed up is period correct.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:13 AM »

Lars

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
IFFIN I hada known about this before I registered, I woulda registered sooner!!

And no "man eaten" sourdough?

Lars

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 10:32:47 PM »
There will be starter along, most likely a gallon or so.  If is gets used on yeast bread will depend on the weather, but can get used in any of the breads, I prefer it in the Czech style rye.  I have some tricks to try, the sourdough in cooler weather is an experiment.  If it works fine, if not we'll just have yeast breads, but the sourdough might get used in the biscuits Sunday.

If anyone wants a bit of my starter bring a jar.  Lou don't, they might be upset it'n it et an areoplane. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 12:11:16 AM »
Cabbage and Kraut and no one else in the tent to enjoy the err...later benefits with me. I reckon I'd better put the bed as far as possible from the stove  :o
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 01:15:30 AM »
Howdy Chantilly,

I would recommend a ceramic mug for the coffee.  The handle of the enamel ware transferrs the heat real well!  Can you say OUCH! ::)  Your local thrift shop should plain ones in several colors.  If your lucky you might find one in blue willow pattern.  They will protect your fingers and keep the coffee warm longer!

YMH&OS

Capt. "Dr. Bob"
Chief Topographical Engineer
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 09:40:14 AM »
Good idea Dr. Bob I forget that I've lost part of the feeling n my fingers, at least hot cups don't bother me.  "sides that I want it to cool enough to drink and get id drank so I can have another. ;D

THMC: just bring some of that activated charcoal they sell for dogs and feed it to Lone gunman, that should brevent toxic emmisions, or go to the junk yard and buy a catalytic converter and stick........................ :o ;D ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »
Boy,  It makes me hungry just reading about it.  sounds like you all are going be eating high on the hog.

you know you're right about the wife taking about 10 years to know when supper is.  It toke mine just about that long but she knows now.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 10:40:20 AM »
So on Sunday afternoon, when the winners are photographed, Matt's meat sauce will be on the shirts of all the winners.... :o  And there fore for ever mortialized on the internet.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 11:14:15 AM »
Howdy Del,

I want to watch you "apply" the catalytic converter to Lone Gunman! ;D ;D  But I definately a "hide and watch" moment. ::) ::) ::)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
Everyone just needs to bring a bib.

And as for Lone Gunman we'll caturize it with my running iron first. ;D  Is it illeagal to posses a runnin' iron in Kansas. ;D  Never mind it is a lid lifter. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 12:07:03 PM »
Del,

They raise a lot of beef in Kansas and know what a running iron is and what it is used for.  Stick to calling it a lid lifter, just to be on the safe side.  Don't get caught with the business end laying in the coals either! ;D  What you are calling it wouldn't matter much then.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 02:41:35 PM »
Well as long as the lawman is one a them youngsters I most likely am safe.  But the Sheriff out in Keith County (Ogalla) is an old fella and he knows, he spotted it at the State Fair several years ago, but I was out of his jurisdicion at the time. ;D  I met his son who works for a Dept here in the east and he says his dad really can't ban me from Keith county and he don't think his ol' man would really hang me. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com