Author Topic: RV Cut-Down Grip Frames  (Read 7763 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
RV Cut-Down Grip Frames
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:18:52 PM »
I would like to resize my SS RVs to better fit my hands. I saw a pair that had the grip frames cut-down and it really changed the feel.
Does anyone know someone that will do this and about what will it cost?

Also, if you have done this to your RVs how do ya like it?
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: RV Cut-Down Grip Frames
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 12:56:05 AM »
I wonder if that would be considered an external modification, and be illegal for SASS use?

I bought a Powers 2nd generation colt grip frame conversion for a Ruger as a project. After I completed it, my feeling was it was more work than the difference in feel warranted. But I was still glad to have tried tinkering with it.
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 07:31:35 AM »
Steve, you have an excellent point about it being an external modification. I'd like to hear what others have to say also.
Thanks.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:42:50 AM »

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 08:21:09 AM »
Howdy Kid,

If you are changing the grips, I think you're fine.  Once you start grinding the metal, then you are likely to invoke the external modification rule.  If you are primarily interested in SASS and other organized shoots, then I'd try to make the guns feel better with grip modifications.

Adios,

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 09:35:37 AM »
I'll stick to other SASS friendly options. ;)

Guess the one pard that had done this is ain't quite on the up and up cau he shoots national matches like Mule Camp and others.. ???

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 09:51:56 AM »
Remember some animals are more equal than others.

If it's not noticeable, then it won't get called often.. but if someone made a stink about it, I think he'd be gone, or at least his gun would be.. Adios,

Offline hogshooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 08:39:05 AM »
howdy 
   ya might try useing a belt sander on the flat side of the grips to make the thinner which would give ya a smaller grip circumferce. i used a file and sand paper to take off the flare on the bottm of the gip and it helped .  its just a idea , try it if ya want.
  yourn truly
   hogshooter

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 12:06:37 PM »
As for being SASS illegal because of the "external" modification" rule.  My feeling has always been that if you are making it more like an original  Colt there shouldn't be a problem ::).  I ran into the same thing about 10 years ago with my Vaquero's cylinder pins.  They are so long that you don't get the full stroke on the ejector rod that you do with a Colt.  Which means the spent case is more likely to hang in the cylinder.  I did the obvious thing and shortened the pins.  When I posted this on the old cas-l list I was jumped on about the external modification thing.  Even Judge Roy Bean said it wasn't SASS legal in the "Cowboy Chronicle"  I argued it wasn't logical that making a gun more like an original was illegal.  They eventually came around to my way of thinking on the cylinder pins :D  But recently when I posted on the Wire that I was having a dovetail milled in the receiver of my Henry so I could mount a full buckhorn again I was taken to task and again I said that the early Henrys all had their sights on the receivers and if SASS didn't like it that was too bad :-*  ( as it turned out I my old eyes didn't like that sight so close to them so I moved it back but it's still more like the early Henrys,many of which had dove tails in both locations)  8)

If I understand what some of you wrote it's okay to put one of the Power's Colt sized grip frames on but not to modify a Ruger....well that just doesn't make sense since you end up with the same result ???

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 10:28:12 PM »
Will I completely agree with you. After all, making the Ruger grips more like a Colt is not creating a competitve edge.

For now, my cure for the problem is that I'm looking for some Colt clones. :)

Offline Trooper Steve

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 08:29:01 PM »
Try the Eagle Gunfighter grips beore you pop for the new grip frames. Really makes a diffrence in size and only about 25% of the price.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com