Author Topic: Pistols  (Read 13657 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Pistols
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
good point. I think mine is actually a M-05 made in 1910
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
The model 10's will be great as long as they have that thin "pencil barrel" profile of the old S & W Military & Police.  Beware the later models as they could have the factory heavy barrel that looks nothing like the old M&P.

Good Luck
G Man

Having Googled the issue (pencil vs. heavy barrel), I'm glad you brought up that point-it's convinced I am I'd not be able to tell the difference without having one of the other type in front of me (my eyesight is bad, and getting worse; medication side-effects are no laughing matter!), and so I assume the 10 foot rule would not be breached, however, just because MY eyes suck, does not mean that other people are in the same maloptic boat!

For the record, it's fairly certain I am that we were using the pencil barrel version at the range yesterday.
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4837
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
An easy way to tell is if the front sight looks like a half nickel or a sloped ramp. The half nickel ones are on the older "pencil" barrels, where the newer "heavy" barrel has a smaller ramp shaped sight.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:55:26 PM »

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »
Saint,

I've owned both PPK and PPk/S (PP Grip) pistols over the years.  I don't have very large hands and they have always bit me when I shoot them.

Pitsptr,

I guess I should ask this revolver question on the GAF forum but it's just easier to do it here.  I've been looking over my gear attempting to put together a pre 1899 uniform and my question is as officers bought their own sidearm’s anyway would my 5" barrel 1895 Colt 38 DA's be usable in a GAF match?  All I have is short barrel Colt SAA's so the 95's would be my only option.

G Man
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Saint,

I've owned both PPK and PPk/S (PP Grip) pistols over the years.  I don't have very large hands and they have always bit me when I shoot them.

<SNIP>

Strange as it sounds, I've never really had a problem.  Smaller frame pistols call for an entirely different grip than do large frames-take my wife's Tomcat, for example-it was the first small frame I ever shot.  I learned quick fast and in a hurry I've got to basically have my thumb overlapping my middle finger to shoot it without bite.

Try doing that with a 1911, and with my arthritis, I'd probably lose the gun!
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
I've been looking over my gear attempting to put together a pre 1899 uniform and my question is as officers bought their own sidearm’s anyway would my 5" barrel 1895 Colt 38 DA's be usable in a GAF match?  All I have is short barrel Colt SAA's so the 95's would be my only option.
1895? or did you mean the 1892? Either way I think the answer is yes. Drydock is the final authority on the subject. I'll forward your question to him

Here's a link to our pistols list:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,28199.0.html

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
Yes, I'm referring to that entire family of Colt revolvers listed in the rules under the 1892 banner.  Mine just happen to be the 1895 variants.  The reason I ask is that the rules appear to be very specific in reference to the 6" barrel in talking about the use of other more modern revolvers in place of real period guns.

1892- Colt M1892,4,5,6,01,03 DA revolver .38 LC (41 Frame)

Those wishing to use the later model Colt .41 frame models (Army Special/Official Police) may do so if in the following configuration: 6" unshrounded light barrel, fixed sights, blued,  Square butt.  "Officers" models may be allowed if proper to the portrayal. 

Later S&W K frames may also be used if having a 6" unshrouded light barrel, blued, fixed sights, ROUND butt.  NO "Officers" models allowed.  S&W did not offer such a model in this era.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »
Bat, I'm sure you will be OK with your '95 Colt .38, your short SAA would be ok also, as a "private purchase" sidearm. The thing about 6" only comes up when substituiting a later model "look alike" instead of an actual 1892 model. I think the later models are only allowed at all because of the scarcity of actual 1892s in good enough working order for competition use.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:28 AM »
Ok, I was pretty sure I was right, but here is the answer from the authority:

Both the 1895s and the "Short Barrel" SAAs are viable options.  The "Artillery" model colts were called in in 1893/94, modified to 5.5" and reissued thruout the later 1890s.  As noted, Officers were expected to purchase their own sidearms, so most any revolver from the period is allowed.  Including 4.75" colt SAAs. I'd personaly be surprised if his 5" 1895s were actualy 5".  Most are 6", but folks think they're 5" because the shorter frame fools the eye.  5" DAs are relativly rare, but in any case, would be fine in our game.  Short barreled models were popular with officers of the era, lighter and easier to carry at a time when the handgun was primarily considered a symbol of authority.  This changed for US officers in the Phillipines, as is well known.

I have shot GAF matchs with my New Army and Navy Colt DA, my New Service DA, my 5.5" and 7.5" SAAs, my 3" S&W "Lemon Squeezer", and an M1895 Nagant DA.    ( The last paired with an Hex reciver Mosin.  I've thought of shooting it with my Krag, claiming I swapped it off a Russian officer in Peking!)

Chuck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com