Author Topic: Something about an 1860 Henry and a couple Open Tops that just say "Early West"  (Read 11922 times)

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I wash i could get pics to upload here .
But it always fails every time i try .
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Use IMGUR.  its free like photobucket used to be.  You upload to IMGR then paste the Builitin Board link for the photo in the text of your post.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
I post my photos as attachments, but I believe that they have to be less than 400 megabytes. Reducing the file size makes that option a little more complicated.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
One good Henry deserves another .....

I just bought a companion piece for my Uberti 44-40 Henry - a 'Youth' model Henry "Golden Boy" in .22LR. In the mail tomorrow.

Had one before, but the lop was too long for me. The 'Youth' model has a 13" lop like my CF CAS carbines.

Read a review of the blued 'Youth' model and the guy loved it. He didn't realize at the time that it was the 'Youth' model, but after shooting it, he wouldn't part with it.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Maybe its the ammo or my 66 carbine has a light hammer. but occasionally i get a dud with my centerfire .45 schofield bullets. Have to do the old rimfire trick and remove it, put it in the rifle in a different way and it'll go boom. I'm getting the vibe of the occasional rimfire miss fire with my centerfire. sarcasm over.  ;D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Lemme guess ..... your carbine has been "tuned", right?

First time I handed a "tuned" rifle, I asked the owner if it actually popped primers. You could actually watch the hammer fall as if in slow motion, it was that slow. Creeped me out.
A friend "tuned" one of my rifles for me and before I even shot it, I had him put it back to stock. There is no doubt that it will pop primers.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I never messed with the hammer spring, thats just me being sarcastic and wanting to joke around.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Lemme guess ..... your carbine has been "tuned", right?

First time I handed a "tuned" rifle, I asked the owner if it actually popped primers. You could actually watch the hammer fall as if in slow motion, it was that slow. Creeped me out.
A friend "tuned" one of my rifles for me and before I even shot it, I had him put it back to stock. There is no doubt that it will pop primers.

Amen!  That was the way my .38-40 1866 was when I got it back!  Almost half the time it would not pop a Winchester primer! The gunslicker ground the spring down by 50% at least!   I ordered a new Uberti hammer spring, but until them I laminated  the bottom half of a broken 1873 Uberti spiring under the weak spring.  It gives it just enough extra to pop the WW primers.  It kinda makes the hammer spring a "two stage" spring.  Easy at first and then a little harder.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125

Snidely Whiplash here.  Wanting to insert a bit of contention.  There are Rifles that are "tuned" and then there are Rifles that have been "Butchered." 

Often there are those "finger pokers" whom say "Hey, I can do that" and then attack the innards of their rifle without the skill or the knowledge it takes to actually do it right.  I use to shoot with a fella whom was one of "them."  When he pulled the trigger, you could watch the hammer bouncing off the Extension Rod like a dribbling basketball.

I correctly tuned rifle will have ALL the related pieces de-burred, polished, properly fit.  The corresponding springs ALL will have been correctly re-ground and polished.

Please don't be "one of them" whom paints all "tuned Rifles" with the same brush as one that has been butchered.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Snidely Whiplash here.  Wanting to insert a bit of contention.  There are Rifles that are "tuned" and then there are Rifles that have been "Butchered." 

Often there are those "finger pokers" whom say "Hey, I can do that" and then attack the innards of their rifle without the skill or the knowledge it takes to actually do it right.  I use to shoot with a fella whom was one of "them."  When he pulled the trigger, you could watch the hammer bouncing off the Extension Rod like a dribbling basketball.

I correctly tuned rifle will have ALL the related pieces de-burred, polished, properly fit.  The corresponding springs ALL will have been correctly re-ground and polished.

Please don't be "one of them" whom paints all "tuned Rifles" with the same brush as one that has been butchered.

I wasn't pard, that's why I referred to the guy as a "Gun slicker" rather than Gun Smith!"
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
i haven't touched the hammer spring at all mainly because i know im a screw it up. but i get a dud once and a great while.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Ronco Presents

Showtime BUBBA 3000 Deluxe Kitchen GUN tuning tool.

not... $50   not.... $40  not....$30 ...JUST $ 19.95 ... but wait  !  Buy now and get a second
Showtime BUBBA 3000 Deluxe Kitchen GUN tuning tool free , just pay separate fee ...yada yada yada !  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Somebody I know turns guns screws in and out with an electric screwdriver! First time I saw that I decided not to let him near my guns.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I ended up replacing the gun slicker screwed up spring with an Uberti factory one.  100% ignition now.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Update:  When I was going through the 1866's innards to replace the main spring that the glunslicker botched, I noted he used what appeared to be a file or dremel to try to smooth the lifter and lever springs.  It took me a couple hours with fine emery cloth to fix all of his "fixes."  He even ground the back of the loading ladle spring to lighten it!  OMG.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com