Author Topic: SCAMMER ALERT  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
SCAMMER ALERT
« on: March 08, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »
Scammers are stealing money from WTB ad posters on a number of outdoor or hunting-related forums right now.
Here's how it works:
You post a WTB ad for, say, bullets. You get a PM or "conversation" from someone saying something like, "Hey, I know a guy who has some of those to sell. Drop him an email at xxx@gmail.com or text him at 1-541 xxx-xxxx." You send a text or e-mail and yes, Ed Schimmelpetscher says he has what you are looking for. You Paypal him and he walks with your money. No bullets, no replies to your inquiries. Nothing. You have been had.
This just happened to me with a WTB Speer .458 300-grain JHP bullets in the hunting classifieds on my Oregon hunting/fishing forum.
A guy PMed me that a friend had some and I sent an email. We agreed on price, I Paypaled him $90, and he walked off with it, laughing at me. When I went back to ask the forum member what he knew about this crook, I realized that he had joined the forum just two days prior and had 0 posts. SIRENS SHOULD HAVE GONE OFF.
Since being cheated, I have had another shady offer to text a friend by another guy who joined the forum two days before.
Friends, just watch your topknots and ignore or report any of this stuff, especially involving brand-new posters you never heard of.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: SCAMMER ALERT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 04:11:38 PM »
Thanks for the reminder.   All I can say about those types is that Karma is a bitch.

Offline Marshall Matt Dillon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »
When i use paypal, i always use a credit card. Call credit card company and tell them you did not receive item. They will give your money back. Do not go thru paypal to get it back. Paypal will send you an email after your credit card company takes the money back.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:29:13 AM »

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 04:34:31 PM »
Here’s another tip. Don’t use PayPal for buying or selling items that they prohibit. You will jeopardize your account. They can freeze it for 90 days and you’ll spend hours trying to get through to a person at PayPal
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 06:59:26 AM »
Grrrrrr, I hate those sumbitches >:(   Sorry you got taken, its a scary world out there.

Maybe one way to at least reduce the chance of being scammed, is to ask for a close up photo of the item from a particular angle. A photo that they can't just pull off the internet. This would at least show that they actually have the item.  Also, ask specific questions that only someone who really knows the item or has the item in front of them could answer.  Usually when I buy or sell an item, I have an email conversation and can tell pretty quickly if the person knows what he's talking about. Beware of the people who say they are selling it for a friend and know nothing about it themselves. 

We like to think we can trust our fellow members here. I think that it true about 99% of the time.  But in any group, there is always a bad apple  :'(   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »
GB too, always look at the sellers ratings. If it’s too good of a deal it’s probably a scam. I get gunshy when they say no returns too.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Str8 Shooter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 07:21:22 PM »
Be careful, even when paying by credit card through PayPal. Some crooks send you a package with a non-related cheap item and submit the tracking as proof of delivery to the credit card company when you file. The only way to dispute is by calling the PO to get a printout of what the package weighed and only if it weighed significantly less than what you bought. Bank of America is particularly hard to deal with.

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 08:30:12 AM »
I've not used PayPal for many, many years now, and I have no intention of ever using it again.

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 11:12:45 PM »
A weasel with the handle of Jayy-sam is trying to do the bait and switch again.  Someone get a rope.  I did report it to the admin.
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 08:58:09 PM »
That user sent me 3 PMs. Promptly reported him as well.

Always look at the number of posts a user has made. Single digits is a dead give away. As is referring you to email someone that is not a member of the forum.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 02:41:51 AM »
You might also be weary of how lucky you seem to be !  ::)

In the past week, I have received 5 emails saying I WON !  :o

Target, Walmart were Christmas reward cash,
Cosco was an I-pad Pro Tablet,
Both Loews & Home Depot wanted me to "open to reveal my Christmas reward"

BE WARNED ...it's BS it is a scammer.   

I've also received, Ace Hardware, Sam's Club in the past, not to mention all the above before.

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com