Author Topic: Suggestions for rifle restoration  (Read 797 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Suggestions for rifle restoration
« on: February 25, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »
I know this is not 1876 related, please forgive me ;)  I just inherited my Grandfather's 1894 (sn 3XXXXX).  While he was a gentleman and a scholar, as the phrase goes, he wasn't much in the way of firearms maintenance.  I would like to have the rifle restored- and suggestions?

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: Suggestions for rifle restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
There are other folks here with MUCH more knowledge than me, but since nobody has responded yet I'll make an attempt.

It seems your question is a bit broad - why does it need restoring?  a real "basket case" now?  Everything working and you'd like to make it look new with wood refinished and metal blued?

Personally I sorta like the "original" look, even with metal on the "browned" side and wood dark from years of hand oil.  Also, how do you wish to spend? Several thousand to make it look better than new?  There's a guy who does that type of work but it's expensive https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/

Good luck.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:09:17 PM »
  " We " will be needing pics. sure helps to see how much needs to be done . Matt , you know this place likes gun projects ( ha-ha -ha ),, ( under statement ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:54:49 AM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:43:01 PM »
A careful disassembly and cleaning is likely all that's required.  Stay FAR, FAR away from wire wheels whatever you do!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com