Author Topic: Reloading for 1873 rifle - 38 special  (Read 904 times)

Offline Powder2Smoke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading for 1873 rifle - 38 special
« on: May 09, 2023, 09:27:11 AM »
Hello,
I've recently switched from a '92 to a '73 CAS.  Reloading for the '92 was easy using a 125gr TC or 158gr RNFP in a 38 special case crimped in the crimp groove resulting in an COL of 1.430 for the TC.  With the '73 I'm struggling to find a suitable bullet which can be crimped in the crimp groove and still make good COL of approximately 1.500.  I've purchased several different bullets (not a caster, yet) but to get the COL requires seating the bullet out beyond the crimp groove.  Doing so requires I either roll or taper crimp into the side of the bullet.  After loading and testing with both roll and taper crimp,  both seem to work with taper crimp doing better by a slight margin.  But really want a bullet I can crimp in the crimp groove.  Soooo, am I chasing my tail or is there a "perfect" bullet out there?  Also, is anyone else using taper crimp?  One of the bullets tried is coated 125gr TC with no lube or crimp grooves.  After cycling a full magazine of taper crimped 125gr TC, rounds 4,5, and 6 lost .001 to .004 in OL length, wich is not significant.  But still would prefer a crimp groove.
Thank you

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Reloading for 1873 rifle - 38 special
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 10:14:46 AM »
As a renowned gunsmith said to me: "If it says .357 on the barrel, use .357 brass in the gun."   That is the only way to completely eliminate the hick-up one otherwise experiences in the '73.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 10:27:26 AM »
 :) 2Smoke  ;)

Well, yes.  You are in hot pursuit of something that doesn't need to be chased.  In a '73, either Uberti or Miroku, a combined OAL of 1.500 is meaningless.  Completely unnecessary.  Don't waste your time nor the Folding Green for the Calipers.

The ONLY consideration is whether the follow-on round has its rim well over the return ramp of the Carrier Block.  So long as the Follow-On round meets that criteria, your gold.

SO:  You will find, the commercially available 125Gr and 105Gr Truncated Cone bullets have a crimp groove.  Crimped in the crimp groove, they are perfect in an 1873.  You will also find you have quite acceptable accuracy with those bullets.  One commercial bullet supplier even named the 105Gr TC bullet "The Snakebite."  The 105Gn and 125Gn TC bullets are the most common bullets used in CAS.

ALSO:  In a Tube Magazine rifle, a Taper Crimp is completely UNACCEPTABLE.  It is only a matter of time before you are introduced to "The Turtle."  The bullets will begin to telescope back into the case, naming the rifle.  Plus, a Taper Crimp does NOT retain the bullet in the case long enough to promote really good ignition with CAS normal reduced charges.

Relax.  Reload.  Enjoy and put those calipers someplace safe and out of the dust.  It is also unnecessary to use 357 Magnum brass.  38 Special brass will run hic-up free so long as the follow-on case rim is over the return ramp on the Carrier Block.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:12:10 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 10:47:40 AM »
Plus one to Coffinmaker.  My .38's, both smokeless and BP, are 125gr TC measuring 1.44" and run perfect in both my '73's, one being 26 years old and the other 2 years old.  I once bought a bunch of Bear Creek bullets with no crimp groove, but using my same roll crimp dies they ran just fine.

Offline Powder2Smoke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies, tested my 125gr TC reloads last thursday.  They run right at 1.430 in COL and all ran with only a few rough feeling cycles.  But none stopped the gun from running.   Almost out of 125gr TC's, MBC I believe.  Where are most folks sourcing 125gr TC's?
Thank you

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 11:00:08 PM »
I'd say just about every bullet maker has the 125gr TC (sometimes called TCFP) bullet, as it is very common.  I have been using Hi-Tek coated bullets from https://www.cimarronbullets.com for my smokeless loads.  Very good prices and they deliver to Comancheria Days annual match in Central Texas so I buy a years worth at a time and avoid shipping cost. They have a limited selection of bullets but they do have the 125 TC.  I have started buying regular lead bullets with black powder lube from Missouri Bullet Co., also excellent prices and they carry the coated bullets as well.

Offline Powder2Smoke

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 11:22:25 AM »
 Thanks Abilene,
Placed an order with Cimarron for some 125's, have also placed an order with Badman for some of his 105's and 130's.  I'll load an shoot until I find that "sweet spot". 
Thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com