Author Topic: Where to Buy Black Powder  (Read 36857 times)

Offline Doctor Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • "You ever see a scientist draw a gun?"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where to Buy Black Powder
« on: June 17, 2006, 08:21:20 AM »
I thought this would make a good reference topic for this area.  Most of us who use BP or subs burn more powder than we can typically buy at the local store and usually can get a better deal either through mail-order or by driving a little ways to avoid that pesky HAZMAT fee.  While narrow-minded politicians have restricted the choices some folks have for bullet propellent, the people that sell genuine black powder usually also sell the substitutes.  So, where do you buy your powder and why?  Is it good service, prices, quick shipping or a family relationship?   ;D

Right now for me it is Graf and Sons
http://www.grafs.com/
1-800-531-2666

So far they have always had powder in stock and have shipped promptly.

They offer Goex, Swiss, and their own brand which seems to be pretty similar to Elephant.

http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?o=1&p=3522&q=&v=&s=

The substitutes are a little limited and seem to concentrate on the pellet forms.

http://www.grafs.com/powders/3523

Pricing starts at $10.59 a pound for the house brand.  Here is the information on HAZMAT shipping:

"HAZARDOUS MATERIAL — Powder, primers & liquid cleaning chemicals over 1 quart, will be charged a $20 hazardous material fee per package. Maximum gross weight per package is 50 lbs. We can mix brands in one package. Minimum order for powder is 4 lbs. Minimum order for primers is 1000. On any backordered hazardous material, you are responsible for the $20 hazardous charge. No individual powder containers over 8 lbs. can be shipped. Hazardous materials cannot be shipped Parcel Post. Any hazardous materials (primers, ammo, fuse) shipped via air will be charged a $30 hazardous materials fee per package. Powder and any type of aerosols, oils and solvents (products with an ORM-D classification) cannot be shipped via air. Black powder must be shipped separately from all other products and a maximum of 25 lbs. may be shipped in one package. Primed hulls, brass and ammo does not require a haz mat fee for ground shipping. Hazardous Materials require an adult signature for delivery. ID may be required at delivery for proof of age. In the event that the package is not delivered after 3 attempts or refused, customer will be responsible for all associated shipping charges including Haz Mat fee".

So, what sort of deal are you folks able to get?

Doctor Bill
Remington Revolver Shooter
Warthog
League of the South
Alchemist and brewmeister extraordinaire

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
Re: Where to Buy Black Powder
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:50:12 AM »
I just purchased a 25 lb case of GOEX mixed granulation, 2F & 3F from, Powder Inc. in Arkansas.

After hazmat and shipping charges the price was $11.10/lb to get it all the way across the country, Arkansas to California.

I checked around with several suppliers and this was the best deal that I found at this time.

Powder Inc, does carry other brands of BP also, but I have settled on GOEX for my shooting.

They have an on-line order form that you can fill out and get the exact total cost to your location before you order.  Delivery was quick and everything was in stock.

Give them a try.

HHW

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:17:54 AM »
well you learn something every day,  I googled in Powder Inc. Arkansas,  comes up to be in Clarksville,  15 minutes from my front door, next week on my list of things to do,  go down there and see what they have.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:07:13 AM »

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:59:31 PM »
well you learn something every day,  I googled in Powder Inc. Arkansas,  comes up to be in Clarksville,  15 minutes from my front door, next week on my list of things to do,  go down there and see what they have.

If you can pick it up in perspn, you can save the shipping charge.  There is a place here in Northern Virginia that sells Goex by the 25lb keg.  It averages to about $9.67/pound.  The price for a 25lb case (25 1lb cans) is about $11.??.  Now where am I gonna put a 25lg keg of powder?  The neighbors would love to see me bringing that in the house!  :o
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 05:07:12 PM »
Well I called down to Powder Inc. today and found out where he's located, Told him I was just a little ways up the road, tomorrow or the next day, I'm going down and see what he has.

http://www.powderinc.com/   is his website.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »
I just got back from Powder Inc.  got some goex powder,  $11.00 lb up to 5 lbs,   10-25 lbs $10.50 lb,    25-50 lbs $9.30 lb

They sell loaded BP shells also. he was loading up some 12 ga. BP while I was there.  I'd like to have one of them dillons they were using for the pistol shells.

good little trip.

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 03:57:52 PM »
Well Tracker, glad that I was able to help.

Anything that one Pard can do to help another Pard save a few bucks is always a good thing.

Good shooting.

HHW

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 04:13:22 PM »
HHW,  you done good helping me find that place,  I didn't even know it was there.  Jerry seems like a pretty good guy and tries to be very helpful.  maybe some of the other fellas here will be able to benifit from your find also.

Thanks

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »
Makes me jealous............

Been shootin' their stuff since last August 'n I ain't n'er seen the place..........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:26:07 PM »
Arcey, you gonna havta just make a trip down here and eyeball it.  they got a lot of black powder down there,  he said it was his busy time until the 4th of July, after that he's going on a little vacation.  reckon that'd be nice ??? :(

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 10:41:03 PM »
Well, I just placed my first order with Powder Inc.

15lbs of GOEX FFFg and 10 lbs of GOEX Express FFg.

I bought a can of the Express here locally (Track of the Wolf) for $22/lb

with all the fees and such, I paid $14/lb to have it delivered.

There are 4 other guys I shoot with who might go in with me next time. (next fall?)

15lbs will last me quite a while in my cap-n-ball and the 10lbs of Express should be good for 250 rds each of 45-90 and 38-55.
(I shoot far more 38-55 than 45-90, plus, I still have 3 cans of Express to go through)

I have decided to burn through the rest of my Pyrodex RS and Select with my 45lc and 44-40 loads. (they are only for shooting at SASS and NCOWS shoots)

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »
Don't overlook the "Skirmish Powder" that Powder, Inc sells. You will save a couple bucks over GOEX with it. Unfortunately if only comes on 1F and 3F, but the 3F is just right for pistols and the 1F works in shotguns.

I personally burn up about 75# of 1F a year in my bigger bores. With 4 ounce charges, $2 a pound adds up fast :)

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 01:02:38 AM »
Sod Buster,

My Ol' Daddy bought an old refrigerator to store his powder.  Fire Dept. says that it is a good container.  We were loading 10 - 15 thousand 308 & 30-06 rounds a season and had a bit of powder on hand.   Put it in a gunny sack.  Ain't none of your neighbors business.  What they don't know won't hurt you.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »
Back Creek Gun Shop, Winchester, Va. and Powder Inc.
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 11:58:49 PM »
I just had me a little "look see" on the Powder Inc. website and they have some pretty neat stuff.

For me, Cabelas is about a 30 minute drive... but Powder Inc. does BP cartridge loads and other neat stuff that you wont find at Cabelas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com