Author Topic: Introduction to 19th Century Penmanship & How to Do It.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Introduction to 19th Century Penmanship & How to Do It.
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
Introduction to 19th Century Penmanship & How to Do It.

Regardless if you call it 'Calligraphy' or just 'Fancy Handwriting', here is a good way to get you started on a vanishing art. Learning this interesting craft that will give your office the look of a classical scholar's study.

Misnomers about 19th century American literacy and the damage from losing this legacy.

In the new age of keyboards and touch screens, we have silently lost one of the most valued personal skills that has been honed and perfected since ancient times. The penman’s hand is now a strange curiosity that is occasionally encountered at art-fairs or historic events. What was once practiced by men and women of simple to grand means throughout the generations is now almost gone.

(Click below to read full article)

https://www.frontieramericanillustratednews.com/post/introduction-to-19th-century-penmanship-how-to-do-it
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Introduction to 19th Century Penmanship & How to Do It.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 03:49:30 PM »
Thanks for posting this Dave. I try to take pride in my penmanship as "leaving your mark" can say something about a person. I think back to the time we spent in grade school(early 60's) working on the various shapes that go into each letter. Contrast that to a couple of years ago when my wife, a 6th grade teacher, was writing cursive on the blackboard. Some of the students asked her "What is that?"
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 12:41:40 AM »
Thanks Navy Six, I have been encountering more younger people who have not been taught cursive. It worries me that they no longer see it as a necessary exercise in cognitive development. Instead, they nurture a dependence on technology without honing the ability to manually perform the same tasks.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:22:07 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com