Author Topic: Montana Buffalo Sharps Rifles Of The Frontier  (Read 2758 times)

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Montana Buffalo Sharps Rifles Of The Frontier
« on: November 12, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to collect 3 original Sharps rifles that have Montana Territory providence. I got my first 15 -20 years ago just by chance, a Walter Cooper gun shipped to Montana in august of 1877.

Then I lucked out and got another Sharps marked "A.D. McAusland" from Miles City, Montana Territory. When I lettered it, it was shipped to J.G. Dow in Bozeman, a banker that bought sharps rifles for Walter Cooper after sharps rifle company quit shipping directly to Cooper.

Later I found another Walter Cooper marked gun and bought it. When I lettered it, it had been shipped in the same shipment to Cooper in August of 1877. Fascinating to think that these guns came to the buffalo fields in Montana, went their separate ways and then back together almost 150 years later.

I put a display together to take to the Cody Gun Show in July, and got the best Sharps display award. It would have been a more satisfying award had there been many more displays, but still nice to be recognized...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Montana Buffalo Sharps Rifles Of The Frontier
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 12:46:48 PM »
Congratulations on the award, and thank you for your kindness letting me hang around and listen to you explain some of the details of the display to others.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:48 PM »
Can you tell us the caliber(s) of the rifles?  From the pictures the rifle configurations are not all the same.  I think I see that two have schnabel forearms and the other is pewter.  Two look like military buttplates but the other looks like a shotgun.  Can you provide more detail about the configuration?

Interesting to know what was favored by true users.

Thanks
BRS
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:08 AM »

Offline shrapnel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »
Congratulations on the award, and thank you for your kindness letting me hang around and listen to you explain some of the details of the display to others.

Thanks for being there and showing such interest in these rifles. I have been fascinated by them since I was just a kid. I am living a dream by owning and shooting these historic guns.
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline shrapnel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 07:23:50 PM »
Can you tell us the caliber(s) of the rifles?  From the pictures the rifle configurations are not all the same.  I think I see that two have schnabel forearms and the other is pewter.  Two look like military buttplates but the other looks like a shotgun.  Can you provide more detail about the configuration?

Interesting to know what was favored by true users.

Thanks
BRS

They are all 40-90 bottleneck, made for paper patch bullets. Evidently the Montana herds were hunted by quite a few hunters that preferred that particular chambering.

The McAusland Sharps has a frontier replacement butt stock and broken trigger bar, probably from some horse wreck. It has a shotgun butt with the original butt plate serial numbered to the gun, on the oak replacement stock made by some frontier gunsmith, possibly A.D. McAusland.

The Cooper with the pewter fore end has a shotgun butt, while the other has the standard military style butt plate. Both those guns came together when they were shipped to Montana in 1877 and both were rebarelled with Davenport barrels of the same length and dimensions.

The bores  on all 3 are in great condition and they are all shootable. I have shot a Buffalo, a couple deer and an angus cow with the first Cooper I got. The others are patiently waiting to draw blood...

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 08:11:42 PM »
I always love it when you post here, Shrapnel.  I always know that it will be something good. It brings me back to the chance that I had last year to visit some of your guns. Oh, and visit you too.
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline shrapnel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 09:46:40 PM »
Cmon back...

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:02:27 PM »
Darn, I was in Cody the last week of July.  You must have been there earlier in the month.  I sure would have loved to see the guns and meet you.

As Griff said, I'm always interested to see your posts here.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 10:04:38 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Big Goose

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
Gosh Shrapnel,
 I surely do agree in looking forward to your posts. Great pics of great firearms- Congrats on the award- its well deserved! I don't post often, but haunt on a regular basis, love that you use these classic rifles as they were intended to be; carried afield , still drawing blood. Awesome stuff...
 Thanks,
Big Goose

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 06:12:02 AM »
Both those guns came together when they were shipped to Montana in 1877 and both were rebarelled with Davenport barrels of the same length and dimensions.

W.H. Davenport?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com