Linked Events

• 2014 Grand Muster: June 27, 2014 - June 29, 2014

Author Topic: 2014 10th Anniversary edition International Grand Muster  (Read 122935 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 2014 10th Anniversary edition International Grand Muster
« Reply #240 on: June 22, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
Glad to hear it Bowview.  Bring some extra ammo for the enfield, I'd like to try it out.

They're nice shooters, Stu. A bit heavier than an '03, soaks up some recoil. Mine has a somewhat heavy trigger with a some creep, though. If I'm gonna shoot it and the Springfield in the same outing, better to shoot the Springfield first, to avoid "surprises".

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2014, 06:37:51 AM »
Bat, go to the first post on page 1, and there is an attachment at the bottom that has the ammo count listed. I think it had 100 pistol, 150 rifle but my brain is a tad mushy this morning.

Bowview, glad you will make it!!!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2014, 06:53:23 AM »
How many rounds will be necessary for the skirmish format portion of the Expansion Era Match?  Given it's half day duration I can't imagine anything near 120 rifle and 100 pistol will be necessary.
It is only a half day event, but we do try to squeeze in more targets than on a normal stage. I shot it staff officer last year with my 1911 and have 12 magazines. I got through it with a little left over , but didn't miss much. 50 of eachshould be enough, but why worry? Bring what you can carry  ;) 8)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #243 on: Today at 11:38:30 AM »

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »
My pistol & rifle take the same cartridge, & the pouch I carry them in holds about fifty.  Seems like fifty was plenty.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
Just so it's known, Thursday morning I'm putting some pulled pork stuff on, and making some biscuits to go with it.  Long story but I got a bunch of smoked pork butt a while back for free and froze it, it's from a well known national chain.  I just want to use it up, so don't feel like there won't be anything to eat in camp if you come before supper, I just want to use it up so I'll cook a bunch up, what's left can go in baked beans.    ;D

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2014, 04:05:22 PM »
Here's my dilemma.  Time is getting short and loading .30 caliber rifle rounds with Trail Boss turns out to be much more labor intensive than I would have ever believed.  If anyone has any advice I'm all ears (and thank you, I know I should have started this last month).  I was looking for a way to not have to load quite so many 30-06's for the 1903 but I've now hit on a new idea.  

I can crank out .45 ACP like greased lighting.  Pitsptr you may have lightened my load with the right answer here.  Can I shoot pistol only in the Staff Officer Category (I'll dress as a Colonel) in the EEM skirmish stages even though I signed up for some other category in the main match?  I'm assuming I'll still have to shoot the 03 in the long range portion of the EEM but I've got surplus 30-06 coming out my ears so that’s no problem.

Thanks
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »
Yes, you can do exactly that.  Just FWIW, Staff officer is just the name of the pistol only class, it does not mean you have to be a Staff Officer, or even an officer. Or any sort of military.

(I might have to rename these classes . . . )
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
My pistol & rifle take the same cartridge, & the pouch I carry them in holds about fifty.  Seems like fifty was plenty.
Yes, but I think I saw you miss twice all last year, which meant it was twice more than I'd ever seen you miss before then.  I knew then you must have been ill.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
As for loading rifle cartridges with Trail Boss, I use a 4 hole Lee turret.  In the second station I have the body of an old .44-40 powder thru die, with a .30 carbine expander inside it.  I run the case up into this, with the .30 carbine expander slightly belling the case, then dump the powder thru the die and go on to the bullet seater.  My rifle rounds thus load exactly like my handgun rounds.  I either have a coffee mug with Lee Dippers for the powder, or use my Lee Perfect measure, both set up next to the press.

I use this same arrangement for Krag, .303, 7.62x54r, and .30-06.  Lee sells the components needed for custom set ups like this.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »
Finally thought of the safest to transport my Coehorn in the  car, remove from the carriage, & stash it behind my front passenger seat packed firmly in place & the seat back partially reclined. I have transported a couple of times in the carriage, & in my trunk, but kinda bothered me, that in a head on, I would have 65lbs coming from behind.

Thursday, after arrival, I will put together a 3 man crew & will go over loading & shooting procedures. This will be the first time I have fired it, so definitely blanks, at 1.5oz of Fg, & use fuse, so no one will be within 25ft. After a couple of shots at 1.5 oz , we will do a 2oz with & a 2oz with cannon primer & lanyard. I was looking at putting some projectiles together with quickcrete, but didn't like the amount I would have to buy for the little in need. If someone can bring a small coffee can full of quickcrete, let me know, & I will bring 4 small cans for making projectiles. Thursday night, I will also try firing a 2"x3" wooden dowel as a projector. Donn the road, I will be looking to try a 2lb cannon ball sinker.

Friday afternoon, I plan to go over the safety procedures for firing, & can do live fire for about 10 shots, Allowing any who want to participate, do so. I will also bring a 50 caliber model that people can practice with before jumping on the Coehorn if they desire.

Brian

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2014, 07:44:59 PM »
I still load with only a single stage press, Lyman powder measure, and 50 round loading blocks. No difference in loading Trailboss and any other powder as far as I could tell.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
Dusty, There's some locals here that do competition with mortars, They use a cast lead ball, with a ring cast into it with a streamer attached.  That way they can find the balls, both to score the shots, and pick them up for re-use.

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
When I purchase the 2lb, canon ball sinkers, the eyelet is installed, so it would be easy to attach a streamer.

Brian

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
Bat, yes you can shoot as staff officer as Drydock said; however, I have 100 rounds of .30-06 trailboss loads that I won't be using. you can borrow some if you want.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »
We had a basement flood here on Saturday so I am a bit behind on my project list but we still plan on leaving on Wednesday. We will stop in Council Bluffs for the night and be in camp on Thursday in the middle of the day.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2014, 10:09:16 PM »
  I'm assuming I'll still have to shoot the 03 in the long range portion of the EEM but I've got surplus 30-06 coming out my ears so that’s no problem.

Thanks
Did I miss something?Is there now a separate long range EEM match? Not that it's a problem, I probably have at least 500 rounds of various full power rounds for the '03.

Still haven't had a chance to work up a long range load for the Lebel, all I know is what I used last year won't work without more "Kentucky Windage" that I like. Might become a Swede for the long range, although I've never worked with it for long range before either. At least I have the right components on hand to just pick a load out of the book and give it a try.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
Pony, I've heard rumor that a 160 round nose and 4831 is a good start, I think that is a 100% load but look, don't trust me.  Seems I read that several times over the years. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2014, 06:04:50 AM »
YES, there IS a long range component to the EEM part of the match.  Same as for the Main Match.  More shooting!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2014, 06:24:26 AM »
Del, I don't have any 4831 or 160rn, but will probably use 160 or 140 bthp, and 4064.

Dusty, I think I have some quickcrete, from my shed project last month, but I won't arrive until Friday, so there might not be enough tome for it to harden. Using cement cans for projectiles, you could put a loop of heavy wire in the end, and attach a streamer that way, make them easier to find and re-use. Just be sure not to hit Jerry's long range target  frame, I don't know if it's rated for artillery use.....

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »
Hi Brian
Sorry I didn't see your message. I have a bag that got caught on something and torn, so I have plenty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com