Author Topic: Rewarding?  (Read 5109 times)

Offline Tascosa

• Very Active Citizen
  • Amarillo, Texas-The heart of cattle country
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rewarding?
« on: June 30, 2004, 08:22:26 AM »
How many of you feel that your career was or is rewarding? After spending some years cowboying, I got into Law Enforcement.
Although our judicial system sometimes left me a little discouraged, all in all I feel I had a very rewarding career.
I retired after 28 years and think I helped a lot of the people I took an oath to protect.
Would I do it again?? Let's me think on that.... DARN RIGHT!!!
I was jest wonderin how y'all felt about it, since I was asked the other day by a civilian if I would do it again. I told him "you bet"!
Tascosa
Ex-feedlot cowboy (ret)
Ex-cowboy (ret)
Ex-Sheriff's Sgt. (ret)
Ex-Chief of Police (ret)
BOLD 476

Offline ladylaw45

• Active citizen
  • I LOVE my shot gun
  • Liked:
Re: Rewarding?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 10:50:08 PM »
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat ;D
Not for the money (What money)
Not for the glory (all I got was gory)
But for the best feeling inside  I got when I knew I'd helped or even saved someone.  And for the tears shed for those not so fortunate because no one else cared-rewarding oh YEAH-in ways people now a days just don't even begin to understand!

Ladylaw
SASS# 32395  BOLD#553  NRA Instructor ROII

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:22:09 AM »
I've watched this Topic for several days and personally I find this question very difficult to answer.

Certainly there were situations that were rewarding but they were over-shadowed by all of the "other stuff" that was anything but rewarding. Guess working in a big city is quite different than the burbs or rural areas.
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:08:58 PM »

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:14:57 AM »
The answer in one word "yep"! 8)

Having worked half my career in Law Enforcement and more than equal amount in Human Resources, I can say I wish I'd spent the whole time in Law Enforcement!

Oh don't get me wrong, there were times I really felt significant and rewarded for what I did in the personnel field, but there were a whole lot more times I felt the weight of bureaucracy of state government.  Yeah, I made a lot more money as a Director of Human Resources at a University than as even a lieutenant in Law Enforcement!

But, the most satisfaction I got out of my working life was being part of that"Thin Blue Line" in direct contact with the public.  I mean saving a life which I did a couple of times, or just being there to help an injured child who is severly injured by a breaking shower door, or taking down some scumbag for burglary.  I really felt on top of the world going home at end of shift in those instances.  There is no better feeling than that.

And Yes, there were those times where I just felt beat, and just plain tired from and shift full of family disputes, Barking neighbors, traffic accidents, etc. etc.  But would I do it again, Yep!  Do I wish I could do it all over again, and this time staying with the badge, ABSOLUTELY!!!

BB
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 11:39:50 AM »
Law Enforcement is a job that you will never get wealthy from.  Helping people and trying to make a difference in the community in which you serve. Being able to wear many "hats" and be able to communicate with people on all levels. I have been a Police Officer and Deputy Sheriff for 34 yrs.  The good memories have far outweighed the bad ones.  I hope to work another 5-6 years before I retire.  I hope that I have made a difference in peoples' lives.  That is reward enough for me.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 09:54:24 PM »
It's been almost 20 years since I took off the badge.  Even though, I still have the fondest memories of the time I spent working the street.  It was one of the few jobs I had ever shown up early and stayed late without complaint.  I just loved it!!

Offline Wiley Desperado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 11:57:54 PM »
There has been the good, the bad and the ugly.  I don't think there is any occupation I would have been better suited for.  I thought about staying in the Marine Corps, but chose law enforcement and I know that it was the right decision.  The thing that stays with me the most over all these years are the law enforcement people.  Not just the officers the whole law enforcement community, great!!! with a few genuine idiots!!! started in August of 1968 and plan on going a few more years.  Its not the same as what I call the old days, but I still like it better than roofing on a hot summer day.   

Offline Cutwires Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 06:58:11 AM »
All in all It's rewarding..the downside however is knowing that as far as some folks are concerne'd we're ALWAYS wrong... Of course,. one of the more dissapointing thing's I've seen is how Vehemently Anti-police some folks involved in our sport are.  The "Cowboy Way" is expected to be applied to THEM, but it's open season on LEO's
"Give a mouse a cookie, and next he'll want a glass of milk...Mice are Such bastards!!
SASS #47223
SBSS#1049  Assistant Media Bumfoozler, Support Staff, OGB 6-26-04
BOLD #272
Warthog Anti-Tank Squadron
PROUD Member of PETA "People Eating Tasty Animals

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com