Author Topic: Press Recommendations?  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
Press Recommendations?
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
I've been handloading for 25 years, using a single-stage RCBS Partner press. It was all I could afford in my younger days.  Sometimes I wish I had more leverage, so I'm looking for a larger press.  Since it will likely be my last press, I'm looking for advice.  

I don't want a progressive press.  I'm in no real hurry when I'm loading and I find it relaxing.  I am thinking of a turret  press,  though, for the convenience.  Any suggestions?  What are some very solid presses that minimize play in the turret?  I'm thinking of the Redding T-7. Does anyone have experience with that?

CC Griff

(Edited to correct the model of my current press.)
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Press Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:05:29 AM »
Why don't you want a progressive press?  You can still take your time and load one cartridge at a time, but yet have a high quality machine that would load faster if you need to do so at some point.  I would go with a Dillon 550B.  Lifetime guarantee and it will do everything you need even if you want to do it slowly.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:47 AM »
I highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press. I have one and it is great.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:38:21 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 268
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
I highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press. I have one and it is great.
I second that.

One of the reasons I like my Lee Classic Turret press is that I load eight different calibers. The change over from caliber to caliber is quick and easy. Since November of 2007 I've reloaded over 38.000 rounds ranging from .380 ACP to .45-70 Govt. If I were reloading just one or two calibers, I'd get a Dillon 550 or a Hornady progressive press.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Online Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:04 AM »
A buddy of mine has a Redding turret and it's a fine press. I use a Lyman O press and a Hornady lock-n-load AP as well as a Lee turret. The Lee turret is a dandy press and is solid. The Hornady will work fine with one cartridge at a time but for a few test loads I turn to the Lee. I had a Lee 1000 for a while but perfer loading rather then working on the press so gave it away. Your results may vary.  ::)
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
I use a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive for everything from 9mm to 45-70 in smokeless and BP.  Once you get it set up for a caliber & load changing to another caliber is relatively easy.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
I second that.

One of the reasons I like my Lee Classic Turret press is that I load eight different calibers. The change over from caliber to caliber is quick and easy. Since November of 2007 I've reloaded over 38.000 rounds ranging from .380 ACP to .45-70 Govt. If I were reloading just one or two calibers, I'd get a Dillon 550 or a Hornady progressive press.

Hi Johnny.  The change over with the Dillon 550B is very quick also.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:54:35 PM »
Many thanks for the input Gents. If I start to use a lot of one specific caliber, I will definitely get a progressive press. I like the solid feel of the Hornady press but several of my friends have Dillon 550's and swear by em'.

I don't regret starting out with the Lee Classic Turret press. I started out slowly in the single stage mode and learned the basics of reloading. Now I've progressed to priming and charging on press.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
Many thanks for the input Gents. If I start to use a lot of one specific caliber, I will definitely get a progressive press. I like the solid feel of the Hornady press but several of my friends have Dillon 550's and swear by em'.

I don't regret starting out with the Lee Classic Turret press. I started out slowly in the single stage mode and learned the basics of reloading. Now I've progressed to priming and charging on press.

I actually started out with a pair of Lee Pro 1000 presses and though I didn't have much problems learning how to use them trouble free I never liked having 3 different things going on at one time. I like to quickly stop check a powder charge etc and also don't have the need for loading as much ammo as it could put out in short order. I sold one of the two and picked up the classic turret and tried it which I realized pretty quickly was exactly a match for my way of reloading. I then sold the second one and picked up a Lee Classic Cast for sizing bullets and using 1 1/4" shot shell dies and it worked with the priming system I bought for the Turret perfectly. I added the Hornady quick change setup to my Lee Classic Cast so I could quick change 7/8" dies when using them and now can make anything I load now as well as in the future. Besides that I still have less in it all than a single Hornady Lock & Load kit would cost me and I have 4 dies each for 9mm, 45 acp, 45 Colt, 45-70, 12 or 20 ga brass shot shells. Powder doesn't matter as it handles both smokeless or BP fine.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »
When loading single stage I charge a tray of fifty cases at a time. I then check them with a pen light to be sure each case was charged. I use mainly Trail Boss so double charges are easy to spot. Never had a problem. When I started charging on press I had my first squib in a match. That really got my attention and I had to train myself to check each case for a charge before seating the bullet. I actually say the word "CHECK" out loud after checking the case for a charge. I also keep the door closed and don't listen to music or the radio. Us old guys need all of the help we can get.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
I'm a two Dillon user.

While it's true that calibre change on a Dillon press is relatively quick and easy, it involves more than just changing tool heads. If you don't have another powder measure on the next calibre tool head, you've got to switch it over, adjust it for case belling and the new powder charge. That's a PITA, trust me, ...... ;>(
I now have a powder measure on each of three tool heads and one on an early 450B without removeable tool head. That one is dedicated to .38 Spl. for my wife.
Depending upon calibre, you will also have to change the locator pins and shell plate, although I have found a compatibility with a couple of calibres.

However, once set up, the Dillon cranks 'em out and I can't fault their reliability and repeatability. In the Dillon 'Blue Press', there was an article by a guy who shoots competitively with a highly tuned AR 15. He loaded up a batch of ammo on the Dillon and was surprised that his rifle shot just as well as when he was loading on a single stage press.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:19:55 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

I've been happy with my single-stage press.  Like I said, I enjoy the reloading process.  Sometimes I can’t decide which I like better between reloading and shooting.  For that reason, I don’t have much desire to speed things up.  I’ve been loading for about 25 years and suspect that I’ll feel the same way for some time.

I’m mainly looking for a press with better leverage.  Sometimes my little Partner press struggles with jobs that require extra force.  The only reason I’m considering anything other than another single stage press is that there have been some times when I’m doing things that require switching back and forth between dies and that’s a little tiresome. 

My concern with a turret press is that I’ve heard some are not consistent with seating depth.  That is key with some of my loads.  Some of my cast bullets have a rather small crimp groove and the seating depth has to be just right for it to work.  With the T-7, I’ve heard that (with some lapping) it is particularly solid in that regard.  Can anyone confirm that or are there other comments?

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

I've been happy with my single-stage press.  Like I said, I enjoy the reloading process.  Sometimes I can’t decide which I like better between reloading and shooting.  For that reason, I don’t have much desire to speed things up.  I’ve been loading for about 25 years and suspect that I’ll feel the same way for some time.

I’m mainly looking for a press with better leverage.  Sometimes my little Partner press struggles with jobs that require extra force.  The only reason I’m considering anything other than another single stage press is that there have been some times when I’m doing things that require switching back and forth between dies and that’s a little tiresome. 

My concern with a turret press is that I’ve heard some are not consistent with seating depth.  That is key with some of my loads.  Some of my cast bullets have a rather small crimp groove and the seating depth has to be just right for it to work.  With the T-7, I’ve heard that (with some lapping) it is particularly solid in that regard.  Can anyone confirm that or are there other comments?

CC Griff

You might check some of these out http://www.inlinefabrication.com/RCBS.html I use their press arm on both of my presses. The not only give more leverage but also stop the need to bend on some of them.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
If both are the same size primer it takes all of about a minute to change a Dillion from one caliber to the other. It takes an extra couple minutes to change the primer bar.

For just a good strong press you can't beat a good ole Rock Chucker.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »
Cliff

It may well take "all of about a minute" to change TOOLHEADS on a Dillon - IF, like you say, the next calibre uses the same size primer and IF the next toolhead has a pre-adjusted powder measure with the right size powder bar.  And like I said - it may also require changing the shell plates and locator pins.
Changing the primer bar requires removing two screws from the primer feed body to change the bar or primer cup. Realignment may be necessary, which entails adjusting the stop screw on primer feed body. These operations take more than "an extra couple minutes" and some dexterity with tools.

Ever done it? Time yourself and get back to us, will ya ....?

While I much appreciate what the Dillon presses offer, calibre conversions aren't exactly a 'slam-bam-thank-ya-m'am' proposition. To say otherwise is doing folks a disservice.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the input!  I really appreciate it.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »
Cliff

It may well take "all of about a minute" to change TOOLHEADS on a Dillon - IF, like you say, the next calibre uses the same size primer and IF the next toolhead has a pre-adjusted powder measure with the right size powder bar.  And like I said - it may also require changing the shell plates and locator pins.
Changing the primer bar requires removing two screws from the primer feed body to change the bar or primer cup. Realignment may be necessary, which entails adjusting the stop screw on primer feed body. These operations take more than "an extra couple minutes" and some dexterity with tools.

Ever done it? Time yourself and get back to us, will ya ....?

While I much appreciate what the Dillon presses offer, calibre conversions aren't exactly a 'slam-bam-thank-ya-m'am' proposition. To say otherwise is doing folks a disservice.

You might not do it the first time but once you know your machine it is pretty much slam-bam-thank-ya-ma'am. I reload 44wcf,45 colt, 38 special, and 223 on my 550B. Yes I have a toolhead and powder measure for each caliber.

Two pins and rod and toolhead changed, one hex nut and four pins and changes the shellplate. Literally can be done in about a minute.

Ok maybe it takes closer to 5 minutes to change the primer bar, so what ;D

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 10:16:24 PM »
Thanks for making my point.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 07:07:51 AM »
Ok I checked and can change everything on 550B from 38 special to 44wcf in about four minutes. Primer bar and drop tube takes the longest. If a person is all thumbs they could still take their time and probably do it in 5 or 6 minutes.

I have toolheads with powder measures for each caliber so I don't have to adjust dies or powder measure each time.

Tip, if your primer bars are not exactly the same file or sand the stop pin on the shortest one so they are both exactly the same. From then on you never have to readjust the stop screw each time. Drop the ram over the primer and make sure all is perfectly lined up before tightening the two screws that hold the primer assembly to the press and it all goes back together exactly the same every time.

4 minutes or 10 minutes who really cares, the point is the Dillion is an easy quick changeover once your familiar with the press.

What I can't do is load the rounds per hour they say, my son and I come close when working together and if we had enough primer tubes filled probably could crank out 5 or 6 hundred rounds an hour.

To load like that I would have to be hurrying which I feel like is an unsafe thing when reloading.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
Cliff

Again, thanks again for making my point - the Dillon's are great, but not 'quick calibre change' if you don't have extra tool heads c/w adjusted powder measures, etc.
If productivity is your goal, for a mere $254.95 you can order a case feeder upgrade for either large or small pistol cases and a low powder sensor for $41.95.

I find that my focus and attention last long enough to load 100 rds and then I take a break. I'm interested in quality, not quantity.
I actually enjoy the hand movements the Dillon requires as it the involvement sets up a rhythm sequence. Interrupt that and things happen .....

Years back, when the Star was the only progressive reloader available, a pal loaded 300 rds of .45 ACP before he noticed the powder hopper was empty. He had been watching a movie and wasn't sure when it had run dry, so he started pulling bullets. Turned out it happened sometime after the first 100.

I don't like distractions of any kind while I'm reloading - phone calls, my wife asking me questions, etc. If interrupted, I make an immediate stop in the process and double check before resuming.

Betchaknow why ..... :>)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com