Author Topic: Choosing a Rifle  (Read 1491 times)

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Choosing a Rifle
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
I'm trying to decide on a rifle (as I save my pennies). I thought I wanted a Marlin 1895 or 1894, but now I'm looking at an 1873 and 1892. I would like to use this gun for hunting whitetail and hogs obviously within 100 yards as well as for CAS/SASS. I plan to mostly use holy black as well

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Choosing a Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:27:52 PM »
1873 in .38/40 would be an ideal all-purpose rifle.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »
I got an Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle in .44-40 for similar uses as you (general purpose, BP hunting, competition if I felt like it) and I like it a lot.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:46:40 AM »

Online Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
As much as I love my '73, if you reload and plan to hunt, a stronger action might be in order.  If you chose a '92, you could tailor your loads, with lighter loads for CAS and much heavier high-velocity loads for hunting  With a toggle-link action like a '73, you would need to keep them toned down, although they would still certainly be effective for both.  With BP, of course, you'd stay within pressure limits for any of those rifles.  I'm biased towards the 44-40 cartridge just because I like it, but it isn't an unreasonable choice for these applications either.  As mentioned, 38-40 would work well too.  Just some thoughts.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:45:14 AM »

Zip-Ah-De-Do-Da   ;D   Zip-Ah-De-Aye  :D

Well with basically Pistol cartridges you're going to have lots of choices.  Since your preference is CAS with some Hunting on the side, You can start with an 1873 in 38/357 and go up.  The 357 will hunt out to 100 yards pretty ok.  44-40 and 38-40 same same although you will have a bit of a learning curve in the reloading department.  The bottle neck pistol cartridges can be a bit "fussy."  then you get into the .45 Colt and .44 Magnum.  Yes all you nay sayers, the 1873 is in fact offered by Uberti chambered in 44 Manglem.  Well proofed for it too.  While I shouldn't go so far as to say an 1873 should be subjected to a steady diet of "Magnum" level ammunition, the rifle will certainly fair very well for hunting.

Switching to BP will be a bit problematic with .45 Colt or .44 Cartridges.  Those straight wall cases are too thick to expand well enough to seal the chamber and Blow-by will be a problem.  Surmountable but still a problem.  I also do not propose loading .45 Colt nor .44 Manglem with great big heavy bullets for mid-range hunting.  200Gr bullets will serve just fine, give acceptable velocity, good accuracy and not over stress the rifle.  Should be lots of fun.

Oh, the 1892 will take any load you want to stuff innit without reservations.  Same same blow-by problems with straight wall cases.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »
I agree that straight-sided cases are not the best for use with black powder, although it can be done.  The .44 Magnum chambers are generally cut tighter than most .45 LC, but the brass will be stiffer as it is designed for heavier smokeless loads. As far as the rifle, if you, indeed want the capability for both CAS and hunting, I would recommend the .44 Magnum. With smokeless loads that cartridge can be loaded down within SASS limits (<1400 ft/sec for rifle and <1000 ft/sec for sixgun).  While the M1873 is offered by Uberti in .44 Magnum, for extensive use with magnum loads, I would opt for the M1892, either Winchester (Miroku) or Rossi. The naysayers will tell you that the '92 isn't as "fast" as the '73, but that only matters if you are into real competition mode against the faster shooters.  Personally, I shoot Rossi '92's, one chambered in .44-40 and the other in .44 Magnum, with a pair of Old Model Ruger Vaqueros both of which have interchangeable cylinders, one each in each cartridge.  Depending on which ammo I currently have, I'll just change cylinders and pick up the matching caliber rifle.  I also have matched the two cartridges ballistically with 213 gr. bullets.  The .44 Magnum takes LESS powder than the .44-40 because the magnum case has less internal capacity.  You can use .44 Special brass in the magnum chambers, but may have some feeding problems in the rifles.  Magnum brass works just fine. 
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline DapperDan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 07:23:00 PM »
If I get a 44 mag then it would be either a Marlin or an 1892. I really like the looks of the "saddle rifle" from Cimarron, but the Marlin is considerably cheaper/affordable. But it doesn't speak to me like the '73 or the '92

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:05 PM »
FYI the 44 magnum 1873 from Uberti is ONLY available as a 19" carbine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com