Author Topic: Stoeger/Uberti 45-70 rolling block rifle.  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Trooper Joe

• Trooper Joe
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Stoeger/Uberti 45-70 rolling block rifle.
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
Just picked up a NIB Uberti (Stoeger) 45-70 ?Hunting rifle? rolling block.  Looks like it was marketed in 2010 and was set aside by a former employee at my LGD.  The employee passed away and the rifle appeared in his estate sale.  It has never been fired and has the original box and papers.

Saw it yesterday, went home and did some research on it, and rushed back to buy it today.  The dealers price seemed about $500 less than comparable prices on the web.

This is my 4th 45-70 (two high walls, a Ruger #1 and now this one).  When I sold my Ruger last spring, I sold all my ammo and empty brass also.  Thought I was done with 45-70 single shots until I spotted this one.

Was somewhat concerned about such a light gun in 45-70, but after watching this video by Hickock 45 (https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yset_chr_syc_hp&p=Hickock+45%2C+Uberti+45-70+rolling+block#id=1&vid=f81704d9a5970b38ced0fb90518eddda&action=click), I feel OK about it.  Will stay with Cowboy Action loads (pictured) or Remington Express .45-70 Government  405 Grain ammo which I read is OK even in the old trap door guns.

This was an add for this gun in an old Benelli advertisement (same gun was made by Uberti for Stoeger):

?..?Uberti?s Rolling Block Hunting Carbine brings a brand new twist to an old, but ?tried-and-true,? design. The original rolling block was designed in 1867 by Remington, and was commonly referred to as the ?1871.? The rolling block design was one of the strongest actions ever produced?and still is. In 1871, Springfield began producing them for the US army, and today, well over a million rolling blocks rifles have been produced. Using modern metals and more precise manufacturing methods, Uberti is able to produce a rifle that is one-third of the original gun?s size and weight, yet retains all the strength for use with today?s modern ammunition. Uberti?s Rolling Block Hunting Carbine with a 22-inch barrel is lightweight, accurate, and strong?an ideal single-shot hunting rifle chambered in .45-70, .30-30 and .38-55 for all sizes of North America game. Specifications: Model Rolling Block Hunting Carbine Caliber .45-70, .30-30, .38-55 Magazine Capacity Single Shot Sights Buckhorn Adjustable Rear Sight Barrel Length 22? Stock Material A-Grade Walnut Average Weight 4.4 lbs. Overall Length 36??.

Would appreciate any comments about past experience with this gun or my ammo of choice.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: Stoeger/Uberti 45-70 rolling block rifle.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Hey, where did "them pitchers" skedaddle off to??   ;)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:57:59 AM »
This is going to sound like I'm giving you a hard time and I don't mean it that way, but you asked for comments.

In the first video of Hickock45 he is shooting a reproduction of a Rolling Block #1 Sporting Rifle. The second video is, I believe, his son and he is shooting the gun you have. Your action is styled like and perhaps intended as a copy of the #2 RB action. As such it was never chambered for anything as heavy as the 45-70. It was limited to small center fires and rim-fire cartridges which abounded in the second half of the 19th Century.

Made of modern steel and heat treated accordingly, your rifle is no doubt up to the task and perfectly safe. If one were to have an original #2 re-chambered for 45-70 (something no gun smith would be likely to do) everyone would scream "NO" as they ran kicking and screaming in the opposite direction.

Just FYI,
Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:13 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com