Author Topic: 1885 Heroism ...  (Read 8231 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
1885 Heroism ...
« on: December 17, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
I recently discovered a real treasure trove of material reproduced from THE CANADIAN PICTORIAL AND ILLUSTRATED WAR NEWS, published during Canada's North West Rebellion in 1885.  I was able to provide some very relevant material to a gentleman who is the current owner of the North West Canada medal named to Sergeant F.W. "Fred" Curzon, of Toronto's 10 Battalion (Royal Grenadiers of Canada), and thought that it might be of some interest to members of this board.

In civilian life, Curzon was a lithographer employed by the Toronto Lithographic Company (which supplied many of the images published in the Illustrated War News) and he served as a "Special Artist" for that publication during the conflict.  

The caption below this cover lithograph reads as follows:
A ROYAL GRENADIER’S CHANCE FOR THE VICTORIA CROSS

Our Special Artist with Gen. Middleton’s command carrying off a wounded comrade from the battlefield at Batoche.

Portrait of Col. Segt. F.W. CURZON, of “G” Company, Royal Grenadiers, from a photograph by Dixon.

“Sergeant Curzon attended my Ambulance Class last winter, and learned how to stop bleeding.  His knowledge enabled him to save the life of a man who was shot through the main artery of the arm and was fast bleeding to death.  He did it under fire.”  - Private letter from Dr. Ryerson, Asst. Surgeon, 10th R. G.

Here is the text from the inside of the paper, relating to this cover:

And from a later issue:

As mentioned in these items, Curzon was also a marksman of some note, scheduled to be a member of Canada's shooting team at Wimbledon in 1885.  He also was a member of the team in other years.   Here is a photograph of the Canadian Wimbledon Team in 1889 ... third from the right in the rear row is "S.Sgt. Curzon, 10th Bttn. Royal Grenadiers".  The only decoration he appears to be wearing is his North West Canada Medal, visible just above his sash.  (He was not awarded the Victopria Cross, if indeed he was ever even nominated for it.)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1885 Heroism ...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »
What exactly is a Grenadier anyway? 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Reb Tyree

• Bvt Lt. Col (SFC) Reb Tyree, CSA Chief of Staff Dept of the Pacific, GAF
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:27:15 PM »
My Father served in the Canadian Army in the late 1940's he was armed with the Enfield Rifle in 303, unknown which model.  He once told me a story about his Sergeant, who could hit a rifle target at 2000 yrds with open ladder sights,  Don't know if it was a tall tale or not.  But I did enjoy his stories of his time in the Canadian Army and the U.S. Army Air Corps.
I have the Honor to remain,

Your Obedient Servant,

(SFC) Bvt Lt. Col Reb Tyree, CSA
Chief of Staff, Dept of the Pacific,
Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:45 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:07:04 PM »
Grenadiers go way back to the days of the Brown Bess, or earlier.  A Battalion had 10 "line " companies, and a light company of skirmishers and a grenadier company.  Thes last two were termed "Flank" companies as they formed up with the Grenadiers at "the right of the line", a position of honour and precedence, and the light company on the left.

The grenadiers were first set up as just that, to throw grenades, which took strength and some technical ability.  They were chosen from the tallast members of the Battalion.  Because they had to sling arms while employing grenades, they wore a "mitred" hat to not impede that process.  I may be wrong, but later on the actual employment of grenades was less common, and the grenadier company was the "elite" backbone of the Battalion.  At some point Grenadier battalions were organized, as elite forces.  When battalions became standardized, the term "Grenadier" attached to a battalions name denoted a units history, or for a newly raised unit, a bit of vanity.

A similar process was carried out with the "light" company, and one of Canada's regular regiments today, is the PPCLI, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

The marchpast of the Royal Artillery is the rousing tune "The British Grenadiers".  One of the British Guards regiments is the well known Grenadier Guards.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 01:18:55 AM »
Good summary on Grenadiers by Sir Charles ... in 1885, this particular battalion of Canadian Militia would essentially have been regular infantry, distinguished only by name, insignia and similar small vanities ....

Reb:  at the time your father served, any .303 rifle issued in the Canadian Army would unquestionably have been a Lee-Enfield Rifle No. 4 MkI* made at Long Branch in Ontario ... in WWII Canada was able to equip its own military entirely with made-in-Canada rifles, and also supply many to Britain and other Commonwealth countries - it helped not being regularly bombed, of course ....  ::)   Anyway, here is the rather nice example in my collection:

However,  to bring this back to the 19th Century  where we belong .... here is the type of rifle which Colour Sergeant Curzon would have been carrying in 1885 - a .577 Snider-Enfield 2-band "Short Rifle", the type issued to Sergeants in Infantry units, and to all Other Ranks (enlisted men and non-coms) in 'Rifle' units ...

This version of the rifle was equipped with a rather formidable yataghan-bladed sword bayonet, to give it the same "reach" as the longer 3-band infantry rifle with its standard triangular-bladed socket bayonet ....

Here is a member of the 65th Battalion, Mount Royal Rifles (whcich also served in the West during the Rebellion) ... as a "Rifle" unit, they wore distinct rifle green uniforms with black leather accoutrements - you can see this Rifleman's 2-band rifle and yataghan bayonet ...

As already stated, most Canadian infantrymen were issued with the normal 3-band Snider-Enfield infantry rifle (the standard triangular-bladed socket bayonet is shown mounted on the rifles being volley-fired in the background image below ...)  The Snider-Enfield was obsolete, having been replaced long before this in the British Army by the Martini-Henry rifle (which in turn would be supplanted in 1888 by the bolt-action .303 Lee-Metford rifle) but Canada didn't start replacing the Sniders until we finally adopted .303 "Long Lee-Enfield" in 1898!

To round out this discussion, here is a period illustration of an Officer, Sergeant and Private of infantry - note that the Sergeant has the Short Rifle and yataghan bayonet (as Sgt. Curzon would have had ...  you will note this bayonet and its scabbard were quite lengthy - so it occurs to me that may be what is seen projecting downward just behind Curzon's left knee in the cover engraving in my first post.  At any rate, his Sergeant's sash - as seen below - is quite clearly depicted in the engraving.... )
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:51:17 AM »
When I was a regular, the Regimental Duty Sergeant of infantry battalions, (a daily duty in garrison) wore the same red sash and a rather long antique bayonet.  (I never noticed the "s" curved yataghan.)  In a Rifle Regiment a bayonet is still called a "sword".

BTW, I cannot match Jacks knowledge of 19th Century military matters! 
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 12:06:05 PM »
Great background and history lesson from all contributors. Thanks.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:41:33 PM »
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:04:58 PM »
Frenchie,

Pretty much a direct descendant of the uniforms of the 95th & 60th Rifle Reg'ts. from the Napoleonic period.  A LOT fewer buttons, a tunic rather than a coatee, and a different shape to the cap is about all.  What a fine heritage!! :) :)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com